English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   configurations file little question (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45359)

kirk 10 June 2009 19:32

configurations file little question

hi all, just a wee query,

do saved config files record what winuae ver they were run/saved under ?
(looking at em in notepad i can not see that info stored)

i ask this cos i have 2 winuae ver on my pc (latest and older) and if i run a game by just double clicking its config it boots up in the winuae i used to create it ?, i think. or do they just boot up last winuae used?

so does this mean i can have 2 configs stored and just by double clicking em i can choose what winuae ver boots up ?

i now i should experiment, but whilst doing so i wud like to know if im on the right track or not, and anyway, im actually fascinated as to how the configs choose the winuae ver to boot up, the clever little blighters !:)

cheers

TCD 10 June 2009 19:34

Yes they save the version they were created with. Fourth line in the UAE file :
config_version=1.6.0

thomas 10 June 2009 20:19

Quote:

if i run a game by just double clicking its config it boots up in the winuae i used to create it ?
No, it runs with the version which is registered in Windows for the .uae file type. There can only be one such.

kirk 10 June 2009 20:49

cheers all, im getting to the nub now,
yes, my config says latest winuae ver on 4th line down (thanx druid), but when i run that config directly it boots older winuae.

is this cos (thanx thomas) only windows registered winuae ver loads (the fully installed winuae 1.3) rather than winae 1.5.3 (which does not install as such, u just extract it to a folder, so no writing to registry etc)

im wee bit puzzled, but if im following this correctly, then i CANNOT store multiiple configs to boot into multple winuae versions ?

TCD 10 June 2009 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirk (Post 558461)
im wee bit puzzled, but if im following this correctly, then i CANNOT store multiiple configs to boot into multple winuae versions ?

That's right. I'm not going to ask any further ;)

thomas 10 June 2009 21:04

@kirk: you could make a shortcut for each config file pointing to

c:\path\to\right\version\winuae.exe -f name_of_config_file.uae

Why do you need different versions of WinUAE ?

smoorke 10 June 2009 21:24

you could make a wrapper script or tool to read the version from the .ini and launch the appropriate version.

TCD 10 June 2009 21:28

Oh dear... Why you had to mention it smoorke? ;)

kirk 11 June 2009 01:16

i wanna do this cos i wanna launch stuff from one frontend on an atom powered pc, and want 2 versions of some stuff, one to squirt to the tv via vga out using latest winuae (and its brill gamma/brightness settings), and another (older) ver to run a small handfull of stuff on the netbook that need cycle exact ticked (the atom struggles with this small band of stuff needing CE, and i think older ver is a likkle bit faster for a couple of progs, but generally i use latest winuae cos of the extra options)

so there you have it, no great reasoning behind my request really, just nice to have the option now and again.

smookes reply has me intrigued, but alas i have not the foggiest !, sounds great though.

Ed Cruse 11 June 2009 21:22

You could give the two versions different names and have a short cut for each one with the appropriate config file. I named the latest release WinUAE1600.exe and the latest beta WinUAE1610b3.exe. I use the latest release but test with the latest beta, I have two short-cuts.

Short-Cut1 example.
c:\WinUAE\WinUAE1600.exe -config=config1

Short-Cut2 example.
c:\WinUAE\WinUAE1610b3.exe -config=config2