English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Level Ever (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=36959)

Marcuz 29 May 2008 10:32

Best Level Ever

Good Morning chaps, i was in my lawn a moment ago and i was watching a little snail carrying her shell in the green grass wet with spring rain and it hit me that i had to do write you about. not really. so spill it. what's your favouritest voluptous-est ever cream topped level of a game you have played on a Amiga?

rules as follow:
1) my cat is the loveliest and you have to bow to that fact
2) you can name a bunch of different levels/games (3 or 4 or whatever makes you go) but please nominate your best-est
3) this game is amiga only, but after naming the level, you can briefly mention one/few that hit you from any other system, if there are.

have fun. obey. i'm wasted. who the hell has phoned me at 8 o' clock this morning??? You! if you read me: you are an asshole!

oh yes, the games.

so my favorite ever is

The Meadow, from Shadow of the Beast. Just because it was so cool that they gave it a name! i mean, how iconic is that?

other levels i love:
the second one from Xenon 2,
the Maze from Elvira Mistress of the Dark,
the Mantis level from Eye of the Beholder
the Wolfman level from Horror Zombies of the Crypt
the Practice track from Lotus 1
the Watchtower Colony from Perihelion
the "plains with birches" of Ishar 1

other systems...

the Canyon track in Pod (pc)
First level in Prince of Persia (Atari ST)
World of Manaan of Star Wars KotOR (pc)
the Death Star canyon in Star Wars Rogue Leader (pc)

if i have some time later i'll try to figure what other retrogaming system games'level i can remember.

your turn! :)

Shoonay 29 May 2008 10:45

Good thread Mark-oh, but I seem to be a bit rusty when it comes to remembering such details... ... ...

EmuChicken 29 May 2008 10:49

Turrican 2... first level :-)

Liverpool @ Lotus 2

... wait. you had rules!?!?

s2325 29 May 2008 11:01

Chuck Rock 2 Suburb levels
Magic Pockets level with bicycle challenge
Wrath of the Demon level with horse

Shoonay 29 May 2008 11:11

Oh, oh, I know, the very 1st level from Yo!Joe! just springed into me mind.
Oh the atmosphere when you enter the castle, the music turns from spooky to groovy and you soon find yerself fighting with a nunchako, with persons coming out of paintings. lovely!
I loved the SuperFrog levels too... the spooky castle, the egiptian pyramid where you could gather quadrazillions of goodies and those tiny little details when you got lost (white piece of paper and a pen, at some dead end of the level ;))

Marcuz 29 May 2008 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmuChicken (Post 418587)

... wait. you had rules!?!?

no, i was mostly joking :)

killergorilla 29 May 2008 12:22

Some personal faves of mine are:

Starlight Zone - Sonic The Hedgehog
Chemical Plant - Sonic 2
Lava Reef - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
World 1 - Ruff N Tumble
Battle of Hoth - Shadows of the Empire / Rogue Leader
Gerudo Valley - Zelda OOT
Level 3 - R-Type
Any Level - Jet Set Radio
Any Level - Jet Set Radio Future

Hungry Horace 29 May 2008 14:08

New Zealand Story - Level 4-4 .... how cool is it to get a second level instead of a boss??! with pirate snails! aggh! me hearties!!

Rainbow Islands - Doh Island.... no music ... not many platforms.... creepy!

Cybernoid - Level 4 ..... not in the 8-bit versions, and its a wild ride of beige walls!

Manic Miner - Abandoned Uranium Workings.... so cool i named my band after this.

Horace and the Spiders - level 3... kill spiders!

gimbal 29 May 2008 14:12

Elf - the second world (the ruins?). Some good thinking involved, nice graphics but not impossible in the slightest. A very good design.

Addams Family - the main house area. Just the fact that you can get 30+ lives there from all the secret areas is something very special.

Turrican 2 - world 4 both levels, simply because the music is so friggin' awesome (love the track on the Turrican soundtrack). Frustrating to play though with enemies exploding into hundreds of bouncing pieces.

I'll add one game that is not on the Amiga. Thief 3 - the shalebridge cradle. The one level that is the most creepy I have *ever* seen in any game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7_6Vf_xCs

(too dark :( )

EmuChicken 29 May 2008 14:13

Sonic 2!! I loved the chemical levels! - the only reason Sonic was ever any fun for me tbh!

Didn't "Horace the spiders" have VERY similar levels that just... repeated? ... damn my memory's not that great (was a year back or so since I played that)

blade002 29 May 2008 14:21

"Lionheart" - The Giant Floating Galleon Level -: Massive Graphics and an awesome spin on the genre.

"Unreal"(Amiga) - The 1st Level & the Snow Level -: So beautifully drawn and realised.

"Turrican" - The Level with the Giant Fish/Piranha as one of the Bosses -: Great Music, lovely little splash effect when you come out of the water, and tons of gems stones to grab hold of.

"Deliverance" - The Level with the Demons running in a transparent way behind the walls which then appear.

"Hitman Codename 47"(PC) - The level in the Columbian Army barracks -: This one had me sweating real bad!

"Deus Ex"(PC) - ALL Levels .. lol.

... there are more, give me time to think.

Macca 29 May 2008 14:53

Turrican 2 - First Level was good but I think the 3rd level (where the blocks drop) just because of the music and the ship dropping bombs with the floor disappearing it was just awesomely good!

Dungeon Master - I'd say all of it! But the worms level was superb (he is my prisoner - leave him be!)

I'm sure I'll think of more later!

M.

TCD 29 May 2008 15:00

Chaos Engine - World 3 : I like the colours and style. And it's one I remember ;)

Turrican 2 - World 4 : For the same reason as gimbal :)

Eye of the Beholder - The Drow level : Great level layout and atomsphere

Hungry Horace 29 May 2008 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmuChicken (Post 418678)
Sonic 2!! I loved the chemical levels! - the only reason Sonic was ever any fun for me tbh!

Didn't "Horace the spiders" have VERY similar levels that just... repeated? ... damn my memory's not that great (was a year back or so since I played that)

three "Sections" that were repeated yeah. so i just meant the third section :P

DDNI 29 May 2008 20:27

Its gotta be level one of Mercenary:Escape from Targ.

Great game with just one huge fantastic level ;) (plus a few subterranean networks)

Ironclaw 29 May 2008 20:31

Best level for me is the car level in Batman.... fast action, cool music+sound, not just driving like in Lotus Turbo etc, in batman you can turn using the grappling hook and enter other street sections.

Simple, but I love it.

s2325 29 May 2008 20:44

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJhiiP3vW4

TCD 29 May 2008 22:08

For none Amiga games :

First level of No one lives forever 2 : Such a great opener for a game :great It drawn me into that game instantly :)

Doom 2 - Dead simple : Great single and multiplayer map! There is a great remake for Doom3 ;)

Metal Slug 1 - Level 1 : I could choose any part of the series and any level, cause them are all awesome! Even if I love the Amiga it's the best Shoot 'em Up ever made.

Ironclaw 29 May 2008 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 418771)

I stongly prefer the amiga tune + amiga version has turning ;)..... hurray for the amiga!.

gimbal 30 May 2008 14:13

Quote:

Doom 2 - Dead simple : Great single and multiplayer map! There is a great remake for Doom3
I heartily agree, although some levels are not that inspiring, just another tunnel maze in a different configuration. But then again there is only so much you can do with a semi 3d space and a limited amount of textures.

If we are going to make a habit out of naming non-amiga games then I HAVE to offer Vietcong also. Actually a war game that has you patrolling in stead of playing rambo, some of the missions are very nicely designed (with all the patches installed).