English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oh No - Easynet Again! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87146)

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 13:02

Oh No - Easynet Again!

Hi Guys

I'm fairly determined to get this to work and i've read though numerous threads hoping to find the thing i'm missing, no luck.

Amiga 1200 / ACA '030/128mb
- Wireless PCMCIA from Amigakit.

After a few shots, i believe i got it configured, all errors are gone.
Basically, i click "Online" it doesn't take TOO long (30 secs?), but i open iBrowse, nothing, i ping, nothing, though i can ping myself :)

Here's lots of config stuff

NETWORK CONFIG:
Amiga IP: 10.0.1.87
Amiga hostname: amiga
Network mask: 255.255.255.0 (same as rest of network)

Network domain name: local.net (the one i've never been clear on)
says ISP name but internode.on.net won't fit in the field.
Windows says DNS suffix is home.gateway so i tried that too, no luck.

Gateway IP: 10.0.1.254 (basically my router IP - taken from windows IPCONFIG command)
DNS 1-192.231.203.132 2-192.231.203.3
Taken from my ISPs setup page and it is also configured in my router
https://www.internode.on.net/support...eral_settings/

ALL PRESETS ARE OFF

INTERFACE CONFIG:
prism2.device is highlighted
Query will display a mac address - card is inserted :)
under settings
Displays the correct wireless name (SSID)
encryption: WPA-PSK (Passphrase)
** My actual router security is set to WPA2-PSK - WPA-PSK is available to try but didn't really want to compromise security, or too lazy to switch all devices over if i changed it, will this matter?)

HOSTS MANAGER: Untouched

Network type: Infrastructure
Key: Ihaveasecretpassword
Channel: ghosted
The env:sys/wireless.prefs is clean and shows pretty much just this info.

Possible issues i can't be sure how to check.

Ram:T/easynet.debug reads
HOSTNAME:
amiga
AMITCP port found
add host amiga: gateway localhost
add net default: gateway 10.0.1.254
bsdsocket.library 3.28
** i cannot locate the actual file bsdsocket.library ANYWHERE

I'm aware of the PCMCIA issue with cards that have lots memory on them? How can i test if my PCMCIA slot has the issue with the ACA '030 card installed?

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 13:09

MORE INFO:
When ibrowse does finally time out when trying to visit the default amiga.org
The error says: Host lookup failed, no DNS entry found.

A1200 uses Kick 3.1 rom and Workbench 3.1 as well

emufan 14 May 2017 13:36

you may take a look at the logs of your router, look for the AMIGA-IP you are using.
maybe this gives some hints of what goes wrong.

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by emufan (Post 1157855)
you may take a look at the logs of your router, look for the AMIGA-IP you are using.
maybe this gives some hints of what goes wrong.

Heya Buddy - thanks for the message. Yeah good idea, had a look and found a few small issues.

I didn't realise that the 10.0.1.87 i was assigning to the Amiga was OUTSIDE the range of the DHCP config, so i fixed that.
I upped the logs to "debug" mode from "information" mode.
Reboot router.... connected phone to see the log update and inform me that the phone connected to the correct IP i assigned to that device.

Clicked to go online for Amiga and the log is completely empty, doesn't even show up as attempting...

I decided, alter the security of the wifi back a bit the the WPA-PSK and not WPA2 - kept the same password so i didn't need to reconfigure anything.

Rebooted and same thing, except the iphone complained the security wasn't good enough for their apple product and i should consider raising the bar on my security level a bit :)

But Amiga produced same result, a light comes on the the PCMCIA, the second light flashes a bit "while" connecting .. it says connected, but router says no-one is home, DHCP logs and actual system logs updates show no new activity (well apparently the wifes phone connected).

So the PCMCIA card doesn't appear to be connecting.

Here's the wireless.prefs

#Easynet Wireless Settings <BEGIN>
network={
ssid="Aiban"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="iaintshowingyou"
mode=0
}
# Easynet Wireless Settings <END>

That looks perfectly normal to me for someone who is learning this rapidly as he goes.

idrougge 14 May 2017 15:19

bsdocket.library is created by your TCP/IP stack upon launch — it is not a disk-based library.

First of all, make sure that you actually have a connection to your WLAN.

Without starting Easynet, try in a shell window:
Code:

wirelessmanager prism2.device
Does it report that it has made a connection?

Secondly, Easynet is a commercial product and should be supported by its vendor. It's obviously not a well-made product either, pieced together from old software.

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 15:37

Yeah, this was in the user-startup - so i run it manually, and you sir, get a cookie, it is saying over and over
trying to associate with 00:04:xxxxxxxx (its my routers MAC) (SSID="Aiban)
authentication with 00:04:xxxxxxxxxxx timed out.

So it is not connecting.... i guess for the sake of testing, i could remove the need for a password altogether just to see if it is that (looks ta clock) yeah ok.. will try that now.... better send this since my net will drop and report back shortly.

Yeah, i can see by the sheer amount of easynet threads that this isn't a product doing well... alot of people simply gave up, but if i give up, i'll be requesting a refund or credit :) But i'm not getting upset or mad, i'm kinda determined to make this work :)

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 15:45

As an open network, it worked, it connected, i bought up amiga.org

Now i'm switching my security back on and while its great that finally worked, this is not a solution and only a great, at least i know it works test.

So where do i head now to get this card to read my security?

Just curious, even though WPA2 is not selectable, should it work if the router is using it? have others tried and even though only WPA-PSK is the only option, maybe it works or am i wasting my time there?

nogginthenog 14 May 2017 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1157887)
bsdocket.library is created by your TCP/IP stack upon launch — it is not a disk-based library.

With Roadshow it is :great

IvanEBC 14 May 2017 17:28

yeah i noticed as i deleted it when i uninstalled it.

I just removed my security again and this time tried looking for updates. It downloaded the same version of easynet that i already had. I wonder if i'm "meant" to be using the pro version for that feture, i've seen other threads say that and other people deny that, but i've seen alot of conflicts of info, IE, amigakit.com the user here actually requested a pull down of the amitcp v4 since they supplied it as a commercial product, yet the one i got installed is v3. I might need to look into this more tomorrow, upgrading easynet/amitcp to newer versions, even if it means paying out some cash, though i'd like to know if this works, and i guess i could hit up amigakit but other threads have suggested they aren't forthcoming with help.

Sir_Lucas 14 May 2017 17:46

Hi. What card have you got? Does it have white connector? Is it Orinoco Gold?
I will gladly help you.

IvanEBC 15 May 2017 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas (Post 1157934)
Hi. What card have you got? Does it have white connector? Is it Orinoco Gold?
I will gladly help you.

The brand says AVAYA - and it appears second hand - even though amigakit says Stock Status: Fully Guaranteed / New

In the end, with this issue being that it does work but won't connect if i have WPA or WPA2 or my router even has WPA/WPA2 mixed mode... i tried all three, i won't connect once security is on, that this isn't an issue with my config or the amitcp, but just the C:wirelessmanager command.

I'm going to contact amigakit for an update to this single command. I don't think should need to pay for an update to amitcp 4 if thats what they are expecting as this should work out of the box and amitcp 4 is only an option for better speeds or something.

Sir_Lucas 15 May 2017 08:51

Here it is. This card is a clone of Orinoco Gold. I'm sure it's got a white connector.
It's not the issue with the command. These cards work ONLY if you set up your router into WPA/TKIP mode ONLY. You can't use WPA2 or mixed mode or AES. Also you have to set up your router into B/G/N mode. Otherwise it won't work. I've got Orinoco and Speedtouch 110 as well. Both of them work great, but router has to be set into WPA/TKIP only.

If you look for a card that supports WPA2/AES then do check this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81915

and this one:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...hlight=linksys

IvanEBC 15 May 2017 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas (Post 1158016)
Here it is. This card is a clone of Orinoco Gold. I'm sure it's got a white connector.
It's not the issue with the command. These cards work ONLY if you set up your router into WPA/TKIP mode ONLY. You can't use WPA2 or mixed mode or AES. Also you have to set up your router into B/G/N mode. Otherwise it won't work. I've got Orinoco and Speedtouch 110 as well. Both of them work great, but router has to be set into WPA/TKIP only.

If you look for a card that supports WPA2/AES then do check this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81915

and this one:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...hlight=linksys

This will be an issue because ..

oh yeah, it does have a white header as you keep saying :)

my router only has two options
AES or TKIP+AES and not AES by itself.

Looks like a big lack of info from Amigakits point of view - not the first time this happened. I'll consider getting a better card if Amigakit refund me as i'm not really wanting to buy things twice..... they haven't yet replied about this issue from 24 hours ago.

Thanks for that information, very interesting, i guess i was meant to do weeks of research before buying.

Sir_Lucas 15 May 2017 20:27

Linksys card works with WPA2 and AES or AES+TKIP. I've been using these cards for quite some time. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll gladly help.

Have a look here as well - quick tutorial on how to set up a WPA2 card. (Thanks TenLeftFingers)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7yF340BwUM9z3bVBLW

Retrofan 16 May 2017 00:03

Great video and thanks for the info. I will look into getting one of those cards next month.

IvanEBC 17 May 2017 03:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas (Post 1158138)
Linksys card works with WPA2 and AES or AES+TKIP. I've been using these cards for quite some time. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll gladly help.

Have a look here as well - quick tutorial on how to set up a WPA2 card. (Thanks TenLeftFingers)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k7yF340BwUM9z3bVBLW

Yeah i chased around some of your other links and hit that video... well i won't say it was easy but i did actually get myself online without too much help, certainly a trial and error process though. Well since my card seems to be a clone, i wonder if it can be firmware flashed and upgraded for WPA2 support? If this something we can look into?

Sir_Lucas 17 May 2017 08:46

Unfortunatelly, Orinoco and its clones can't be flashed to work with WPA2/AES.
WPA/TKIP is the best they can do. They are based on a different chipset than Linksys cards.
Therefore, Linksys can do WPA2/AES after being flashed/upgraded.

idrougge 17 May 2017 10:04

And Amigakit knows this very well.

IvanEBC 18 May 2017 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1158510)
And Amigakit knows this very well.

Yes, and i quote from my message to them .....

"In the end, it seems this card does NOT support WPA2, it seems VERY important to let customers know this BEFORE they buy.
As far as i'm conceed, i have wasted my money, seems amigastore.eu and even sellers on Amibay will inform their users of what security protocols it supports whereas yours just says 128bit encryption that even that wiki page for WPA2 will not explain if it is 128 or 256bit. How are we to tell."

Their reply
"128bit encryption covers WEP and WPA-TKIP,
256bit encryption covers WPA2 AES.
We will add further clarification to our webpage as you have suggested."

Time will tell, they didn't add helpful text on a previous part i found a fault with, they said i was wrong, i send them a photograph, they send me a free product replacement which was adjusted.

I'm moving away from these guys, and i may look up Sir Lucas's cards when some money comes in.

Pat the Cat 19 May 2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanEBC (Post 1158857)
I'm moving away from these guys, and i may look up Sir Lucas's cards when some money comes in.

<shrugs> They made a mistake. Human beings do that.

Kudos to Sir Lucas for pin pointing the exact problem.