English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.CD32 Conversion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   CD32Load (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81114)

FOL 31 December 2015 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059178)
I understand. Can be done. Of course, I don't see the point since it's better to play with a mouse, and mouses are cheap nowadays... most CD32 users have a mouse right?

I rather use controller, as EAROK said. Nice to sit in on your sofa and play with a controller.
Did you look at updating your fakepad? is it also possible to patch system before games take over OS to stop game from not working with fakepad?
One game in perticular that looks like it bangs the hardware is RoadKill.

jotd 31 December 2015 16:09

Gods is a nice one! Specially with the converted intro. Let's take the CD in a time machine and show it to the Bitmap Bros in 1992 :)

@FOL fakepad patches lowlevel.library. If the game takes over the system, bye bye fakepad.
Roadkill uses the OS, but maybe not during the race. So manual slave patching would be needed.

about all controller modifications: I'm working on a generic redirection system without parameters ATM just to check that I can do it.
(the worst part in ASM programs is interaction with the system, parameters, argument parsing :))

If it works, I'll consider doing something more powerful. For now, I'll remap buttons on "P", "SPACE", "F1", "F2", "RETURN" ... because they are the most used keys.

I'll have less time in a few days (no more holidays, got to work on serious projects for money :)), but I'll do my best.

BTW how to download AMSCD32? Can't find it anywhere

earok 01 January 2016 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059244)
Gods is a nice one! Specially with the converted intro. Let's take the CD in a time machine and show it to the Bitmap Bros in 1992 :)

Haha, if they did a CD32 version back in the day it would have been full AGA but with bright, garish, cartoony colours (eg Chaos Engine and Speedball 2)


Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059244)
about all controller modifications: I'm working on a generic redirection system without parameters ATM just to check that I can do it.
(the worst part in ASM programs is interaction with the system, parameters, argument parsing :))

If it works, I'll consider doing something more powerful. For now, I'll remap buttons on "P", "SPACE", "F1", "F2", "RETURN" ... because they are the most used keys.

I'll have less time in a few days (no more holidays, got to work on serious projects for money :)), but I'll do my best.

Great! There's numerous games space by itself would be useful for - Chase HQ 1/2, Dynablaster, Hard N Heavy, Afterburner, probably a lot more.

If you don't have time to implement parameters, would it be possible to hex edit the binary to change the hard coded keys manually? At the very least ESC, 1, 2, Left/Right Shift/Alt are useful in some games.

(Also bear in mind that the available keys ideally need to vary between player 1 and player 2, as a random example Chaos Engine 2 P1 uses left shift/alt and P2 uses right shift/alt)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059244)
BTW how to download AMSCD32? Can't find it anywhere

Chucked something in the zone for you ;) I've preconfigured it with your loader and a couple of example games.

jotd 01 January 2016 13:22

thanks for the AMS thingy.
CD32Load dev version now has joypad => keyboard redirection. This is not perfect, and not configurable for now, but seems to work.
I'll create command line arguments and a master file in S: where the program recognizes the name of the slaves and auto selects the mapping (if game not in base then default mapping is applied)

Amigajay 01 January 2016 16:26

Off topic slightly from the current conversation, but still related to the excellent work of the CD32 port guys, i have compiled a list of CDTV titles that run and don't run on the CD32, obviously the ones that work we don't need to worry about, but would it be possible to add the CD32.tm file to these games and rebuild the ISO to get the remaining non compatible CDTV games working (just bootable for now, before any keypad, save issues etc)

works ------------------ 29
Air Warrior - keyboard required
Battle Chess (CDTV) - needs mouse
Battlestorm
Casino Games
Classic Board Games - needs mouse
Cover Girl Strip Poker - needs mouse
Defender of the Crown
Defender of the Crown II - dual CDTV/CD32 release.
ESS Mega
Fantastic Voyage
Global Chaos
Guy Spy
Lemmings
North Polar Expedition
Pinocchio - dual CDTV/CD32 release.
Prehistorik
Psycho killer - mouse required
Raffles - keyboard required for keypad functions
Sherlock Holmes - Consulting Detective
Snoopy case of the missing blanket - keyboard required for full movement.
Space Wars
Super Games Pak
Team Yankee
The Hound Of The Baskervilles - needs mouse
Tie Break
Town With No Name
Ultimate Basketball
Wrath of the Demon
Xenon 2

doesnt work ----------------------- 22
Case of the Cautious Condor
Chaos in Andromeda - Eyes of the Eagle
Cubulus & Magic Serpent
Falcon
Holiday Maker
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Lettrix & Shiftrix
Logical
Loom
Mind Run
Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows
Power Pinball
Prey - CD32 had reworked port.
Sim City
Spirit of Excalibur
Stadt der Loewen
Strip Poker Live
The Curse Of RA
Trivial Pursuit - CD32 had reworked port.
Turrican
Turrican II
Winzer

jotd 01 January 2016 19:31

About CDTV stuff what if we set up whdload slave to work with floppy versions?
IMHO adding the CD32.TM stuff to them would make things worse.
CD32 detects the CDTV.TM and removes caches/AGA to make games more compatible, which does not mean it will work 100%
BUT whdload slaves usually fix the problems. So that would be possible for some titles but not a lot (ex: turrican 1 & 2, logical).
(maybe Bert will adapt whdload to CD loader and in that case the list will widen)

Amigajay 01 January 2016 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059484)
About CDTV stuff what if we set up whdload slave to work with floppy versions?
IMHO adding the CD32.TM stuff to them would make things worse.
CD32 detects the CDTV.TM and removes caches/AGA to make games more compatible, which does not mean it will work 100%
BUT whdload slaves usually fix the problems. So that would be possible for some titles but not a lot (ex: turrican 1 & 2, logical).
(maybe Bert will adapt whdload to CD loader and in that case the list will widen)


I didn't know if some of the CDTV titles would be better controlled i.e aimed at a controller to start with rather than the A500 version.

Also not all CDTV games are available on A500, i don't know if there is a WHDLoad for all the below?


doesnt work ----------------------- 22
Case of the Cautious Condor (CDTV Only)
Chaos in Andromeda - Eyes of the Eagle
Cubulus & Magic Serpent
Falcon
Holiday Maker
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Lettrix & Shiftrix
Logical
Loom
Mind Run (CDTV Only)
Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows (CDTV Only)
Power Pinball
Prey - CD32 had reworked port.
Sim City (CDTV Enhanced Game)
Spirit of Excalibur
Stadt der Loewen
Strip Poker Live (CDTV Only)
The Curse Of RA
Trivial Pursuit - CD32 had reworked port.
Turrican
Turrican II
Winzer

earok 01 January 2016 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1059445)
doesnt work ----------------------- 22
Case of the Cautious Condor
Chaos in Andromeda - Eyes of the Eagle
Cubulus & Magic Serpent
Falcon
Holiday Maker
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Lettrix & Shiftrix
Logical
Loom
Mind Run
Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows
Power Pinball
Prey - CD32 had reworked port.
Sim City
Spirit of Excalibur
Stadt der Loewen
Strip Poker Live
The Curse Of RA
Trivial Pursuit - CD32 had reworked port.
Turrican
Turrican II
Winzer

I thought Turrican 1 worked for some reason so I started investigating, it actually needs the KillAGA utility to run on a real console (presumably Tude or something similar would also work). I've chucked a test version in the Zone for you - note that this version does break CDTV compatibility. Regarding Turrican 2, for some reason I'm using the WHDLoad slave of the Turrican 2 CDTV release on my compilation, I'm not entirely sure why I did that.

Totally weird that Sim City doesn't work, it's actually referred to by volume name ("SIM_CITY") in the CD32 extended rom, so compatibility was at least planned. I may need to look into this deeper.

Indiana Jones / Loom are non-English releases right? I wonder if it's possible to graft English and/or other language support into them.

I would add Wrath of the Demon to the non-working list, since controls are totally messed up (AFAIK it expects a CDTV control in mouse mode to play).



@JOTD latest version of CD32load sounds great. Could I get a copy please? ;)

jotd 01 January 2016 22:07

New version is good but each game needs to be tested because scanning the joystick each vblank can alter game input. Ex assassin does not respond anymore. But there is a nojoypad switch for that. Working on the version, you'll get it soon.

In the meanwhile do you have an archive of all possible title screens for ams laucher? Even in png I dont care

The program is exactly what I need, but I want to create a python script to create game laumch info automatically. I think it will interest you too!

Retro1234 01 January 2016 22:17

Some CDTV games might work CD32 early boot menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059417)
thanks for the AMS thingy.
CD32Load dev version now has joypad => keyboard redirection. This is not perfect, and not configurable for now, but seems to work.
I'll create command line arguments and a master file in S: where the program recognizes the name of the slaves and auto selects the mapping (if game not in base then default mapping is applied)

What!!! Please please please do a special JST version or talk to Wepl about WHDload for non CD32 users.

earok I know your the CD32 guy but I gotta ask about non CD32.

Happy New Year Dudes:great

jotd 01 January 2016 23:19

I just talked to Bert yesterday. He seemed interested by upgrading whdloadcd32 for CD RN loader, and I've talked to him about joypad redirection.

I could adapt JST with the joypad changes. I'll wait for Bert to come up with a decision.

JST is only maintained for kickstart 1.3 users.

CD32Load is the proof that whdload slaves can run with CD32 hardware with 2MB & joypad for non-CD32 compliant games, but the best solution would be integration in whdload (specially now that it's free), since JST/CD32load whdload emulation is far for perfect and will never be.

earok 01 January 2016 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059515)
New version is good but each game needs to be tested because scanning the joystick each vblank can alter game input. Ex assassin does not respond anymore. But there is a nojoypad switch for that. Working on the version, you'll get it soon.

In the meanwhile do you have an archive of all possible title screens for ams laucher? Even in png I dont care

The program is exactly what I need, but I want to create a python script to create game laumch info automatically. I think it will interest you too!


Sounds great :great

I don't have all possible title screens sorry (I make them as I need them). So long as the IFF is 320x128 and has the same palette as ams.iff, it'll work. I can make a bunch for you if you'd like (let me know which ones).

jotd 02 January 2016 00:00

Ok, then I'd need the ones quoted in "cd32load compatibility list :)"

How do you create IFF files compatibles with the ams.iff palette? with which tool?

earok 02 January 2016 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059537)
Ok, then I'd need the ones quoted in "cd32load compatibility list :)"

How do you create IFF files compatibles with the ams.iff palette? with which tool?

Will sort you some out later today ;) do you prefer title screens or screenshots for the images?

I use Paintshop Pro as it has built in IFF compatibility. You just load the ams file, save the palette, and load it on your image. Xnview and Photoshop probably could do thr same.

Did you test cool spot on a real cd32?

jotd 02 January 2016 01:09

Whatever you like. Maybe my work will find its way to one of your releases so do as you would for you.
thx for the explanation.
I did not test it on a real machine. I bet it works. Will test as soon as I have my joypad problem sorted out (also I cannot provide you with the new version of cd32load because the joypad stuff interferes with game button read, I'll fix that with help of other EAB users).

earok 02 January 2016 08:13

IFF's uploaded to the zone.

I have a random suggestion - for games where it's problematic to read all the CD32 buttons, is it possible just to read the blue/second button, eg using

Code:

btst        #14-8,$dff016
There's a lot of games where playability would be improved with just a single keyboard mapping.

jotd 02 January 2016 09:34

Yes, something like that would not trash ciaapra register. But that would mean another option. Well, that would make sense as joypad read takes some cycles. But I'd like to have a "pause" button if I can.

FOL 02 January 2016 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1059484)
About CDTV stuff what if we set up whdload slave to work with floppy versions?
IMHO adding the CD32.TM stuff to them would make things worse.
CD32 detects the CDTV.TM and removes caches/AGA to make games more compatible, which does not mean it will work 100%
BUT whdload slaves usually fix the problems. So that would be possible for some titles but not a lot (ex: turrican 1 & 2, logical).
(maybe Bert will adapt whdload to CD loader and in that case the list will widen)


Yes, from the cd32 devkit. Using cdtv.tm on disc puts cd32 into cdtv mode.
Then you use setpatch in startup to enable cd32 mode. Hand to them they did always seem to think about the future.

Anyone know what happens with wrath of the deamon. Joypad works on title screen but not in game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earok (Post 1059512)

I would add Wrath of the Demon to the non-working list, since controls are totally messed up (AFAIK it expects a CDTV control in mouse mode to play).

It expects joypad mode.

earok 02 January 2016 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOL (Post 1059605)
Anyone know what happens with wrath of the deamon. Joypad works on title screen but not in game.

No idea :confused

I've added Wrath of the Demon to our most wanted conversions list, asides from the control fix it'd also need additional key mappings, in addition NVRAM saving would be ideal.

jotd 02 January 2016 13:36

would the whdload disk version work better (I mean: controls)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.08686 seconds with 11 queries