English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Zeus68k – Accelerator/IDE/RAM for the A500/2000/CDTV and others (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65047)

mr.vince 13 July 2012 15:35

The BootMenu is for the Amiga at the moment, but of course you can put any other 68k code in the flash and do other fancy stuff.

gunni 13 July 2012 15:45

I'm interested dependent on price, good work!

Twiggy 13 July 2012 16:10

Quote:

Why would you want ha 68000 cpu in a 68020 machine?
I was thinking more for the other benefits, IDE and RAM.

rare_j 13 July 2012 17:04

I wonder what this bad boy would do a megadrive or a neo geo :)
Your market could be a LOT bigger than you think.

mr.vince 13 July 2012 17:13

We think big. :) that's why most of the design is fully reconfigurable via the FPGA.

However, most games weren't made for faster processors, at least not on consoles. But of course such games could be modded to take advantage of the processing power and RAM.

frank_b 13 July 2012 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 828661)
[/LIST] Yes, of course.

No, as it's been made for an 68k DIL socket.

It should work in all devices that have a DIL socket. Now read that again... yes, it does not say Amiga. Although this was designed for the Amiga, reprogramming the FPGA should make it compatible with other devices as well, e.g. an Atari ST. :)

Toni, yes, it has Flash. Please email me with what you specifically need and I'll check.

Yes please. I'll take two. I'd also buy one for the STE :)

mr.vince 13 July 2012 20:17

For the record: The boot menu would need to be recoded for the ST and someone would need to help with the Atari quirks which we are not experts for. But since people will be able to mess with FPGA logic and Boot Menu source, this should not be an issue.

Note: Most STs have the CPU soldered onto the mainboard with very little space above. Therefore it might be necessary to build a small adapter cable. Fancy but... we should try this...

frank_b 13 July 2012 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 828754)
For the record: The boot menu would need to be recoded for the ST and someone would need to help with the Atari quirks which we are not experts for. But since people will be able to mess with FPGA logic and Boot Menu source, this should not be an issue.

Note: Most STs have the CPU soldered onto the mainboard with very little space above. Therefore it might be necessary to build a small adapter cable. Fancy but... we should try this...

I've posted this on Atari forum to see what the hardware experts there say.

mr.vince 13 July 2012 22:17

Erm... I actually intended to post there myself. Maybe the mods will have to combine threads...

frank_b 13 July 2012 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 828768)
Erm... I actually intended to post there myself. Maybe the mods will have to combine threads...

Bigger the market the cheaper the end user cost :)

Reynolds 13 July 2012 22:34

I have some A2000s, A500/+s and a CDTV around here... all would wlecome something like this... Everything depends on the price and if it will be truly available....

mr.vince 13 July 2012 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_b (Post 828770)
Bigger the market the cheaper the end user cost :)

Yes, but does not help to drown in requests when you can only handle a certain amount a day...

desiv 13 July 2012 22:39

Weird thought..
Have you considered Kickstarter?

The only reason I mention it is that I was thinking the tricky part is figuring out the actual number of units needed...

If you think you can get a great price break at 500+ units, you could start a kickstarter with a project goal to be able to pay for the 500 units.
At $xxx dollar donation, the person gets a unit when it's done.

If it works out, great...
If not, no one is charged, but you have a more realistic number to go by...

You can have tiers as well to cover resellers. So it you kickstart $xxxx you get more units (bulk purchase)...

Probably a bad idea, but I've been engrossed with Kickstarter recently.. ;-)

Anyway, good luck with this..
My 500 and I will be watching this closely..

desiv

frank_b 13 July 2012 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 828774)
Yes, but does not help to drown in requests when you can only handle a certain amount a day...

Ok Well good luck in any case :)

mr.vince 13 July 2012 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by desiv (Post 828775)
Have you considered Kickstarter?

Kickstarter does not (yet) work for us. We're in the UK, and Herzi, the main dev, is in Germany. But yes, maybe some alternative, or when Kickstarter comes to the UK.

But hey, we made KryoFlux happen with the help of EAB and A1K, we'll get this baby made some or the other way... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank_b (Post 828776)
Ok Well good luck in any case

I posted it. :)

desiv 13 July 2012 23:25

Forgot about Kickstarter not being global yet.. ;-(
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 828784)
But hey, we made KryoFlux happen with the help of EAB and A1K, we'll get this baby made some or the other way... :)

Yep, and I still love my Kryoflux. You make great hardware.. ;-)

desiv

mr.vince 13 July 2012 23:30

This accelerator is not our own design, it's solely made by Herzi and Scrat. It's our way of saying thanks, passing on the stick and helping others to get something out...

Herzi said he liked making it, but feared all things related to bringing this to market. So here we are. :)

XDelusion 14 July 2012 00:15

If this could make my 600 run at 50Mhz, I'd be all over it!

Very cool either way!

mc6809e 14 July 2012 07:40

I'm curious, with the CPU at 50 MHz, will Gary/Agnus handle back to back 280ns reads of chip ram if no DMA is active, or must the CPU still wait 500+ns between words?

mjnurney 14 July 2012 11:06

brilliant ...any ball park ££ figure?