English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Icaros Desktop (aros) 1.1 released (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43702)

Amiga1992 31 March 2009 05:14

That looks interesting.
Correct me if I am very wrong, but it looked to me like the system would recognize an Amiga 68k executable and execute the emulator?
Sorry I couldn't understand a lot of the words the guy was speaking, he's got a thick accent :/

But if it works like that, it's like the Cl;assic environment in Mac. That would be AWESOME.

NovaCoder 31 March 2009 05:56

Looking promising, well done guys :)

mihcael 31 March 2009 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 531186)
That looks interesting.
Correct me if I am very wrong, but it looked to me like the system would recognize an Amiga 68k executable and execute the emulator?
Sorry I couldn't understand a lot of the words the guy was speaking, he's got a thick accent :/

But if it works like that, it's like the Cl;assic environment in Mac. That would be AWESOME.

At this stage it is a simple script which loads loads UAE with an individual startup-sequence for each program!

What you posted is the goal (i believe) and is being worked on by o1i (UAE Integration Blog!) :great

Charlie 31 March 2009 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mihcael (Post 531178)
Couple of videos showing icaros in action on the imica (1.6 Gz mini itx pc)
Icaros part 1 - OWb and other programs
Icaros part 2 - Nice demo of Janus UAE

Hmmm, couldn't let this one slip by:
I'd say this is a significant development - Here we have evidence of someone actually pushing real hardware as being suitable for an Amiga-like OS.

On the subject of classic games on AROS:
It will be great when (hopefully) there's real integration of 'UAE' into the OS itself...
...something that's just occoured to me (I've not tried it) is Alpyre wrote some very nice scripts (publised on Aminet) that allow the more-or-less seamless running of WHDLoad games within Amithlon via ARexx & 68k-UAE...
...I can't see a good reason why the same setup wouldn't work for AROS.

mihcael 31 March 2009 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie (Post 531295)
...nice scripts (publised on Aminet) that allow the more-or-less seamless running of WHDLoad games within Amithlon via ARexx & 68k-UAE...
...I can't see a good reason why the same setup wouldn't work for AROS.

Sure it works, think i seen someone who had a screenshot with this sort of thing setup!!

cosmicfrog 31 March 2009 15:23

has anyone installed this to HD from dvd yet ? I finaly managed it but it wont boot of the HD something about misssing os, spos I`ll have to look in to how grub works but surly it should boot after a fresh install

AmigaFriend 31 March 2009 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmicfrog (Post 531406)
has anyone installed this to HD from dvd yet ? I finaly managed it but it wont boot of the HD something about misssing os, spos I`ll have to look in to how grub works but surly it should boot after a fresh install

I only tried on Vmware and boots fine here. Install from CD iso.

Xytec 31 March 2009 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmicfrog (Post 531406)

I have it on its own HD (found an old 20 gig) and after 2nd install its all working fine, got USB running too, well my mouse at least, haven't tried a mem stick yet and found a Soundblaster Card in same comp case I got the HD from and might throw that into my comp to get full sound too! (apparently Soundblaster cards are compatible).
It even uses my Nvidea graphics card!

I messed up first install (Did FFS format which doesn't work with the OS boot up) and after reading the guide and the part about using SFS to format got it up and running.

Its really promising! I look forward to the next update!!

cosmicfrog 31 March 2009 19:26

thanks for that will try sfs then

cheers

mihcael 31 March 2009 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmicfrog (Post 531493)
thanks for that will try sfs then

cheers

Yes, i think that FFS no longer works properly (weird)! so go with SFS!! also sometimes doing the install again and just selecting install "Grub Bootloader" and nothing else can fix things (installer is not at all perfect yet)

Ive installed a few times, but haven't got around to this latest version yet!

Looking at the speed difference of this latest version over vmwAros 9.0.2 im keen to seen it running native! :great

Not all Soundblaster Live cards work, you need the ones with Emu10K chipsets (whatever that means). (im using onboard AC97 audio on my box!)

cosmicfrog 31 March 2009 21:33

yay well after going for SFS it now boots :)

that be next thing gettin sound and network going hehehehe but I`m plzed I`ve got it to boot

Xytec 31 March 2009 23:18

Umm Can you get it to network from its own HD?

I thought it only worked if it was on a partition?

Hope it does though!

chiark 31 March 2009 23:20

Good luck... I'm trying to get it to work under VirtualBox on a macbook pro now :)

Xytec 01 April 2009 14:39

Installed AF2006 on it, lovely install just click the Add amiga icon in Amibridge and chose AF2006 and it was installing and then I was away and running.

I'd have liked the UAE window full size though, its pre sized fixed as far as I read.

Can launch Amiga Programme (games for me) straight from the main Icaros window, and it just pops a new window with the emulator and your playing.

Closest thing to an Amiga on a PC yet, really exciting, again Can't wait for the next update!

This could be massive!

Amiga1992 01 April 2009 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xytec (Post 531801)
Can launch Amiga Programme (games for me) straight from the main Icaros window, and it just pops a new window with the emulator and your playing.

That's fucking brilliant, just as I said, as if it was the Classsic environment on OS X....

And does this work with WHDLoad installs? :)

AmigaFriend 01 April 2009 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 531852)
And does this work with WHDLoad installs? :)

Yes of course. It's a full emulated Amiga environment.

Think this like Win + WinUAE. Instead is Icaros + E-UAE :)

Amiga1992 01 April 2009 22:15

It's not exactly the same.
Windows does not recognize Amiga executables or icons and will not do any action on double click.

What I want to know is, if i browse to an Amiga classic directory, if I can doubleclick, say, on the "DPaint IV" icon, and the system will recognize it as a 68k executable and launch the Janus environment on its own.

AmigaFriend 01 April 2009 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 531916)
It's not exactly the same.
Windows does not recognize Amiga executables or icons and will not do any action on double click.

What I want to know is, if i browse to an Amiga classic directory, if I can doubleclick, say, on the "DPaint IV" icon, and the system will recognize it as a 68k executable and launch the Janus environment on its own.

Ok, understood. That I don't know yet. I have yet to configure an install on the emulator side. But this weekend i'm going to dig deeper in this version for once. I think things are shaping up slowly but steadily.

mihcael 02 April 2009 06:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 531916)

I dont think it can do this yet, but this is obviously the goal!!

Charlie 02 April 2009 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by mihcael (Post 532034)
I dont think it can do this yet, but this is obviously the goal!!

My understanding too...
...still, Alpyre's scripts (Aminet) written to allow chipset software to run pretty seamlessly under Amithlon + 68kUAE should also work with AROS + E-UAE.

You click 68k app (WHDLoad game), that fires up UAE, it then runs in a window or optionally it's own screen.