English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Apollo Team announces the Vampire V4 (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88134)

demolition 22 October 2017 19:05

Quake is actually running very nicely, considering it's a soft FPU and I think that Quake uses it quite heavily. Can only imagine how well it could run with the hard FPU that they have showed off for V4. :-)

Overflow 22 October 2017 23:42

A bit more painful fpswise, but its working!

AmiQuake2 1.06 RTG on GOLD2.7 WIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvydjZVqO4

NovaCoder 23 October 2017 03:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 1193924)
A bit more painful fpswise, but its working!

AmiQuake2 1.06 RTG on GOLD2.7 WIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCvydjZVqO4

Although it's always nice to see my AGA ports running on Vampire I don't really think they are a good fit for more modern hardware. My old ports were created to get the best out of AGA but the Vampire V4 could support OpenGL with hardware support in 16 bit color....that would make things much more exciting :)

Mr-Z 23 October 2017 06:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1193863)
Quake is actually running very nicely, considering it's a soft FPU and I think that Quake uses it quite heavily. Can only imagine how well it could run with the hard FPU that they have showed off for V4. :-)

Read the post more carefully, most is done in hardware now FPU wise :)
In software it would have been painfully slow.
This doesn't rule out more optimization/speed gains can be reached.
It's still WIP :cool

From original message:
Quote:

While this isnt spesifically V4 related, I post it here anyhow;

Some of you might remember the somewhat (very?) laggy Kioea demo a while back.

Now with updated femu 0.11-WIP) and Gold 2.7.
femu 0.11-WIP is Apollo core optimized version (includes HW 040 and 060 FPU).

demolition 23 October 2017 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Z (Post 1193984)
Read the post more carefully, most is done in hardware now FPU wise :)
In software it would have been painfully slow.

It says Femu which is the software FPU emulation. Yes, it is the Apollo optimized version of Femu which helps a lot with the speed, but still a software emulation. Gold 2.7 doesn't have hard FPU enabled afaik. The hard FPU is like 100x faster..

jarp 23 October 2017 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolition (Post 1193989)
It says Femu which is the software FPU emulation. Yes, it is the Apollo optimized version of Femu which helps a lot with the speed, but still a software emulation. Gold 2.7 doesn't have hard FPU enabled afaik. The hard FPU is like 100x faster..

Please check out the activity report posted weeks ago and you will find the answer.

grond 23 October 2017 08:38

This is the relevant part: "includes HW 040 and 060 FPU".

But the HW FPU parts are still throtled for testing.

UberFreak 23 October 2017 15:57

So there are now two versions of the HW FPU ?
One full, for V4, and the other a partial implementation that works with FEMU on V2?

Overflow 10 November 2017 13:11

Posted by Gunnar on Apollo forum;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=10848

Hello Coders,

GOLD 2.7 will come with AMMX2 instruction set.

Please find here a preview of the AMMX Quickreference chart:
CLICK HERE

http://www.apollo-core.com/AMMXQuickRef.pdf

Overflow 12 November 2017 15:15

Amiga 600 vampire 2 Gold 2.7 testing: Elude - Soliloquy

Camrecording by Mr-Z, so not the most flawless demostration, but shows the performance of the 2.7.

https://youtu.be/xEtd8td2a7o

Amiga 600 Vampire 2 X11 core Gold 2.7 Hires Quake 640X400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqSUCm1Fcg

Amiga 600 vampire 2 Gold 2.7 testing: Elude-We Come In Peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFgEo4Ir3Q

Megol 12 November 2017 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 1198483)
Posted by Gunnar on Apollo forum;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=10848

Hello Coders,

GOLD 2.7 will come with AMMX2 instruction set.

Please find here a preview of the AMMX Quickreference chart:
CLICK HERE

http://www.apollo-core.com/AMMXQuickRef.pdf

So how are the instructions encoded?

IanP 12 November 2017 22:01

I'm not sure how up to date and final it is but decoder_cpu.ods (OpenOffice spreadsheet).

Megol 13 November 2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanP (Post 1199029)
I'm not sure how up to date and final it is but decoder_cpu.ods (OpenOffice spreadsheet).

Thanks! Apparently I already downloaded that file but don't remember looking at it (or even downloading). :nuts

F-line and clean. Like it.

AMIGASYSTEM 13 November 2017 13:52

Ciao NovaCoder, but there is also a version Quake2 OpenGL or RTG for OS3?

this is just AGA true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rqjaavr6ws

Mr-Z 13 November 2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 1198943)
Amiga 600 vampire 2 Gold 2.7 testing: Elude - Soliloquy

Camrecording by Mr-Z, so not the most flawless demostration, but shows the performance of the 2.7.

Yes i need to buy capture device, atm looking for one that is reasonable affordable and compatible.

grond 13 November 2017 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr-Z (Post 1199209)
Yes i need to buy capture device, atm looking for one that is reasonable affordable and compatible

*gasp* the core is not compatible!?!?!?
(Sorry, I'm worn out from all those silly rants...)

kipper2k 13 November 2017 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1199269)
*gasp* the core is not compatible!?!?!?
(Sorry, I'm worn out from all those silly rants...)

Why are you being so defensive over a general statement ??

grond 13 November 2017 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1199294)
Why are you being so defensive over a general statement ??

It took me some time to understand that the joke wasn't obvious and some people wouldn't see that my comment wasn't an attack on Mr-Z who knows me well from the Apollo Team channel on freenode.

I was just loosely referring to a thread in another Amiga forum where some people go as far as to demand that the core also has to crash in places where the 060 crashes to be called "compatible".

kipper2k 13 November 2017 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by grond (Post 1199306)
It took me some time to understand that the joke wasn't obvious and some people wouldn't see that my comment wasn't an attack on Mr-Z who knows me well from the Apollo Team channel on freenode.

I was just loosely referring to a thread in another Amiga forum where some people go as far as to demand that the core also has to crash in places where the 060 crashes to be called "compatible".

fanning the flames just makes it worse, it's a shame we All cant play nice

AMIGASYSTEM 13 November 2017 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1199150)
Ciao NovaCoder, but there is also a version Quake2 OpenGL or RTG for OS3?

Found works well ;)

https://youtu.be/tOesB_Ne3YQ


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Page generated in 0.08325 seconds with 10 queries