English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   A Serious Problem With IPF's In Amiga Forever 2008 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38332)

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 12:27

A Serious Problem With IPF's In Amiga Forever 2008

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this very strange problem.

I'm totally confused. I recently bought Amiga Forever 2008, and when I try to load any of my IPF games through the Amiga Forever 2008 Player they will not load :banghead

I have tried ADF, DMS Images and they work perfectly, but not IPF's :nuts

IPF's do however work through WinUAE itself, so it seems like it's a problem with the player itself (I think!) :help

I was also wondering if it was possible to put games into the: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Amiga Files\Games folder so they would be recognised and show up in the main Player window, and also were able to be launched from there?

Any help with either/both of these problems would be greatly appreciated!

musashi5150 31 July 2008 13:11

Don't have any direct advice for AmigaForever as I don't have it. But could be that your missing the .dll for IPF support in the AmigaForever folder?

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 13:20

I made sure that I downloaded it and created the directory it needed.

I'm seriously confused, as I can't find anything that talks about problems people may be having with the Player in the 2008 version. I had the 2005 version which never had the Player part in it, so it's something totally new to me.

I find it amazing that I can't find a trouble shooter part in the Amiga Foever website :crying

thomas 31 July 2008 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitmap Brother (Post 439284)
I find it amazing that I can't find a trouble shooter part in the Amiga Foever website :crying

http://www.amigaforever.com/troubleshooting/

or amigaforever.com -> Support -> Troubleshooting

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 13:29

:o

Thanks thomas :) ...but there's nothing there to tell me what's wrong :crying

TCD 31 July 2008 13:36

Hi Bitmap Brother,

there is something about IPF's in the FAQ : http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-112.html
Maybe that's helpful.

I would check if the 'CAPSImg.dll' is in every folder with WinUAE. Maybe AF2008 uses it's own WinUAE folder.

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid (Post 439293)
Hi Bitmap Brother,

there is something about IPF's in the FAQ : http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-112.html
Maybe that's helpful.

I would check if the 'CAPSImg.dll' is in every folder with WinUAE. Maybe AF2008 uses it's own WinUAE folder.

Hi CyberDruid,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm afraid I had already had a look at that page, and it seemed as much use as a Chocolate Tea Pot!

I can't find anything regarding probable problems arising from the Player.

There must be a solution!! I wonder if any of the guys from SPS can shed some light on this?

Toni Wilen 31 July 2008 13:47

Contact Cloanto? AFPlayer uses custom paths.

killergorilla 31 July 2008 13:48

You say they don't work..

What happens when you try and run an IPF?

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by killergorilla (Post 439299)
You say they don't work..

What happens when you try and run an IPF?

It starts off looking as though it will load, it does the same as the other Images. The only difference between ADF/DMS/IPF Images in the player is that when you usually see the green dot on the disc showing you that it's loading, with an IPF there is no green dot at all. It just doesn't load! :nuts

Belgarath 31 July 2008 14:46

Why the hell are you so bothered about running it from af player anyway?

Anubis 31 July 2008 14:47

SPS work fine with WinUAE, just as your test from WinUAE showed. It's Cloanto's problem and if you think to contact someone, it should be Cloanto.

Make sure you don't change disk speed when loading IPFs (Turbo does not work, but multiplayer did work and some games don't like it iirc)

Also make sure you place dll in both directories, player and winuae. (has to do with paths)

If that does not help, try placing dll in your folder with kickstart and game folder. (not sure if this will work, Toni might help, but it is worth giving a shot)

Bitmap Brother 31 July 2008 15:00

Quote:

Why the hell are you so bothered about running it from af player anyway?
1. Because It's more convenient that way (If it worked, that is!)
2. Because it is meant to work in the first place, as it says on the website.

Anubis,

IPF's work with no problem at all with WinUAE, they just don't seem to be working with the Player.

I have tried what you said, but It's still no go! :crying

It seems as if I will have to contact Cloanto.

Thanks for all who have replied and tried to help me out. I appreciate it :)

Anubis 31 July 2008 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitmap Brother (Post 439327)
1. Because It's more convenient that way (If it worked, that is!)
2. Because it is meant to work in the first place, as it says on the website.

Anubis,

IPF's work with no problem at all with WinUAE, they just don't seem to be working with the Player.

I have tried what you said, but It's still no go! :crying

It seems as if I will have to contact Cloanto.

Thanks for all who have replied and tried to help me out. I appreciate it :)

When you start ADF game in player, hit F12 and check settings for roms and WinUAE. Also check shortcut for player and place dll in working directory for shortcut.

Let us know of response from Cloanto. I heard their support is not the best.

Keep in mind, just as Belgo suggested, there are much better options such as GameBase Amiga. ;)

Toni Wilen 31 July 2008 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubis (Post 439368)
Keep in mind, just as Belgo suggested, there are much better options such as GameBase Amiga. ;)

AF2008 Player use some "secret" WinUAE features which makes it quite unique :)

gklinger 31 July 2008 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 439373)

I'm not sure if you're kidding. If they are using a modified version of WinUAE, are you the one making such modifications?

OT: I wish E-UAE had someone as involved as you are doing the development. I'm actually debating about partitioning my MacBook and installing Windows just so I can use WinUAE. Funny, eh? WinUAE is Windows' killer app (at least it is for me).

Anubis 01 August 2008 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 439373)

Like not working with IPF's?? :cheese

What are secrets? :rolleyes

Toni Wilen 01 August 2008 23:17

Check log when running under player or check sources. I isn't anything really interesting.