English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   project.SPS (was CAPS) (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Killing Game Show (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10543)

whiteb 16 July 2003 10:03

GODDAM IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Killing Game show just chewed through the 9MB of ram in my A500.

fiath 16 July 2003 12:21

Was Killing Game Show an addon? :D

Anyway, it is probably because the game has lots of unformatted tracks. Nothing we can do about that unfortunately!

Just leave that one...

Antiriad 16 July 2003 13:15

whiteb, i have this. And im CAPS'ing my Amiga games this week.

IFW 16 July 2003 14:34

Antiriad: remember the test dump process first. Can save a lot of time :)

whiteb 16 July 2003 17:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Antiriad
whiteb, i have this. And im CAPS'ing my Amiga games this week.
Tis done...

6.3MB Zipped. And thats just images for IPF'ing.

Disk 1 is 3.9MB
Disk 2 is 5.7MB.

I realised what i was doing... Archiving in ramdisk... hence running out of memory fast.
Archive to HDD worked a treat. ;)
Uploading as I type this.

whiteb 16 July 2003 17:42

Quote:

Originally posted by fiath
Was Killing Game Show an addon? :D

Anyway, it is probably because the game has lots of unformatted tracks. Nothing we can do about that unfortunately!

Just leave that one...

Killing Game Show was a game in its own right, by Psygnosis.
I always thought of it as a platform game featuring ED209 from Robocop. The intro sequence makes it sure look like ED209.

fiath 16 July 2003 17:55

Thanks for that...

But the reason I asked if it was an addon is that you originall posted to the "Addon" thread for current releases... ;)

I was being sarcastic :p

pintcat 17 February 2014 04:21

It's been some time since whiteb offered his dumps, but The Killing Gameshow still isn't listed by the SPS. What went wrong? Were the images faulty or altered in any way?

kipper2k 17 February 2014 04:54

From what i gather they were never worked on by SPS due to the track structure so there aren't any "official" dumps out there

BarryB 17 February 2014 22:53

They can be added to the SPS Analyser but no one has due to the amount of work for so few titles, it may happen one day, but not today!

There's an unofficial IPF in The Zone uploaded by Retroplay if you're interested!

mr.vince 18 February 2014 08:34

We do have good dumps, but yes, adding "official" support means having correct transport layers. If you know how, you can even stuff raw data in an IPF. It just does not serve its purpose then. It's not interchangeable anymore, and it's not preserved (in regard to checks for authenticity and integrity). Even the very first IPFs done over a decade ago write back perfectly, even though writing has not been available until 2012.

It's like the mostly analogue track for the original Dungeon Master. This needs a separate transport layer for a single track and one game only. Can this be faked digitally? Yes. Will we do it? No. Why.. Psygnosis version 3.6 can be used.

One day, these few candidates will be fully supported...

Steve 18 February 2014 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.vince (Post 938639)
It's like the mostly analogue track for the original Dungeon Master. This needs a separate transport layer for a single track and one game only. Can this be faked digitally? Yes. Will we do it? No. Why.. Psygnosis version 3.6 can be used.

One day, these few candidates will be fully supported...

I dumped my copy of DM probably 10 years ago. So 'one day' seems like a long way away.

dlfrsilver 18 February 2014 13:02

the unofficial IPF made by Kaffer writes back perfectly on fresh disk, and works perfectly.

kipper2k 18 February 2014 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 938679)
the unofficial IPF made by Kaffer writes back perfectly on fresh disk, and works perfectly.

Yep, although i think like most IPF's, it will fail on some floppies, If you have a good calibrated floppy to write the image then you will be more successful. The first floppy drive i used for Kryoflux was "iffy" so trial and error is the order of the day

dlfrsilver 18 February 2014 13:13

using excellent floppies is the thing. I used my kryoflux to write the IPF back, and it works very finely. I have also tested the disk by installing them with whdload, and the rawdic imager didn't showed any errors during reading.

mr.vince 18 February 2014 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 938679)

That may very well be, but there may be issues with verification. We don't make up stories; if the transport layer would be there, we'd just use it.

As for the work involved... If anyone wants to sponsor an unpaid leave from daytime job, feel free to let us know. Otherwise things progress as someone puts his spare time into something he wants to do. :)

dlfrsilver 18 February 2014 13:17

if the IPF content is perfect, then the only failure can only be the floppies. This must be cared by the person writing back to disk.

btw, Kaffer told me that each track has checksums. So there is no problem either here :)

EDIT : all the games using the special psygnosis format have checksums on each tracks.

mr.vince 18 February 2014 15:44

Yes, but to my knowledge no replicator checksums. These checksums are afaik only accessible to the loader.

To be honest... If you have the knowledge, why don't you engineer the proper transport layers into the library? Or in other words: what's the reason behind your post? You know better, we don't? Where's the benefit?

When we have so many things to do, like eg ingesting 3,000 titles for the C64, which we recently did, it makes sense to eg reverse engineer formats that were used in 50+ titles.

PS: I did not say the IPF is perfect, no one here has checked it.

dlfrsilver 18 February 2014 16:51

I'm not a coder, and you know it, i told it to you on skype :)

I know you have a lot of thing to do on C64, and it put a stop on all other machines.

The reason behind my post or the explanation, is that we have fully working, and rewritable non official IPF for these games using special format. And nothing else :)

mr.vince 18 February 2014 17:05

Well if you say so, how could I object...

As I have said before, we have not checked it. Is it unmodified?