English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Member Introductions (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Hi everyone (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53923)

elspero 19 July 2010 18:38

Hi everyone

Hi everyone!

Back in the day as a kid I didn't have the luck to own a game system of any kind, as they were too expensive.

Now I am waiting for an Amiga 500 (it was cheap) and an Amiga 1200 (not as cheap :( ) to arrive in my mail, so I have a lot of questions about the amiga world. Ok, not really a lot...

The A1200 will ship with a ton of games and disks. The first thing I'll need is a way to backup the original disks, without losing or compromising the copy protection. How do I do it?

Ram expansion for the A1200: what to do? It would be nice to use whdload instead of disks, but the online shops and ebay prices I have seen for the expansion cards are way too high for me... And from what I have read, using a pcmcia sram/dram expansion is not recommended in the A1200, as it slows down the machine, is that right?

Thanks in advance for any answer :)

Retro1234 19 July 2010 19:00

Welcome to EAB - Im sure you will be very happy with your new Amigas
you didnt have a game system as a kid:crying this is a crime

To backup your origianl commercial games with protection your need an external drive and a Cyclone.

With a standard 2mb machine you could probably run quite few games from HD but maybe more of a fiddle around than with a expansion.

CF to IDE can be bought very cheap giving you a Cheap HD for your A1200

I dont know how much expansion cards go for now days.

I dont think there would be any harm using SRAM just for games.

Allen1 19 July 2010 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by elspero (Post 685741)
Hi everyone!

Ram expansion for the A1200: what to do? It would be nice to use whdload instead of disks, but the online shops and ebay prices I have seen for the expansion cards are way too high for me... And from what I have read, using a pcmcia sram/dram expansion is not recommended in the A1200, as it slows down the machine, is that right?

Thanks in advance for any answer :)

Hi there M8 and welcome to EAB,

just letting you know that I used a 2mb SRAM card on my 1200 before I got a memory expansion and it worked fine for WHDLoad games. There were a few AGA games that needed a bit more memory but on the whole most games ran fine, a 4 or 8mb internal ram expansion is better if you can get one but not essential though ;)

elspero 19 July 2010 21:46

Thank you guys :)
I spent £70, plus £35 for shipping for the A1200. It includes a 250MB hdd (but I have a spare 40gb sitting on my desk).
Now I can either spend another €120/£102 to get an apollo 1230/40/fpu with 4MB, or €85/£72 to get a 6MB sram pcmcia.... I can't find anything cheaper! :nuts

I guess I'll have to use floppies for a long time...

Allen1 19 July 2010 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by elspero (Post 685779)
I spent £70, plus £35 for shipping for the A1200. It includes a 250MB hdd (but I have a spare 40gb sitting on my desk).
Now I can either spend another €120/£102 to get an apollo 1230/40/fpu with 4MB, or €85/£72 to get a 6MB sram pcmcia.... I can't find anything cheaper! :nuts

You can only realistically use a drive up to 4GB which should be partitioned to say 200mb for Workbench and the rest into 2 more partitions ie work and games or something along those lines. This is why a Compact Flash card makes an ideal hard drive in a 1200 or 600 Amiga.

The above hard drive size isn't strictly true but for a standard 1200 or 600 with the right rom inside it is about the limit without getting into complex formats etc.

You can still use WHDLoad on a 1200 with just the 2mb ram it has although most games won't work, some do, especially one disk type games. There is a lot you can do with just an ordinary 1200 so keep a hold of your money till a decent priced ram upgrade comes your way, an fpu isn't that important if you are mainly going to play games, most programs don't use it from what I have read but I don't mind being corrected on any of this (I don't have an fpu). ;)

Retro1234 19 July 2010 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by elspero (Post 685779)

Ive never seen a 6mb SRAM card - do you mean 6mb in total, only 4mb is supported I Think via SRam

WHDload is great and supports I wide range of games also convenient -Realy the best product on the Amiga.

- Quite a few games will run from HD on your 2mb spec you dont have to use WHDload
For instance have a look at this thread you can run a large selection of CD32 games on your 2mb A1200.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53562

Can you think of some games you might want to run from HD?

Best to have a play then your probably be wanting to upgrade:)

Of course theres now the Floppy emulator aswell:crazy

elspero 20 July 2010 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 685799)
Ive never seen a 6mb SRAM card - do you mean 6mb in total, only 4mb is supported I Think via SRam

The sram card is 6MB. What happens when using cards bigger than 4MB? Only 4 gets recognized, or they don't work?

Thanks, I'll take a look

Quote:

Can you think of some games you might want to run from HD?
Well, it would be good to run every kind of game with whdload, so I don't have to look for the disks. For sure every game with more than 1 disk would benefit from it.

Quote:

Of course theres now the Floppy emulator aswell:crazy
Floppy emulator? Can I have the name of the software(s) involved?

Thanks!

Retro1234 20 July 2010 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by elspero (Post 685877)
Floppy emulator? Can I have the name of the software(s) involved?

Thanks!

The Floppy emulator is hardware based have look here
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53869

ck1200 20 July 2010 17:29

Welcome to the forum mate :)

TCD 20 July 2010 18:32

Hi elspero and welcome to EAB!

Enjoy your stay and your new Miggies :great

prowler 21 July 2010 01:33

Hi elspero, and welcome aboard! :)

If those will be your first Amigas, then you're in for a treat! :great

Strobestar 07 August 2010 14:56

Hi elspero, welcome to EAB! You've already seen how helpful and welcoming people are here (as I've recently found myself), so enjoy the board and have a heap-o-fun with your new Amigas!