English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   A3640 Rev 3.3 PCBs (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=87971)

Chucky 19 July 2017 21:20

A3640 Rev 3.3 PCBs

As some of you might know.

Some months ago I did a retrace of the A3640 by tracing off from pictures of empty A3640 boards.

I always been thinking of doing PCBs of this and check if they actually can boot.
so I took a A3640 that was beyond repair.. sanded off all paint.. scanned it.. and doublechecked my traces using this as a backgroundphoto.

found some issues. corrected them. then I was thinking. WHY not.... but IF I do it. why not do some mods.
so I did.

I did the delayline mod allowing you to clock it to 33/66MHz
I added possability of using both types of oscillators.
I did the resethack on C400 that exists on some boards, so no jumperwire is needed.

I added some informative text on silkscreen of important signals on CPU slot and resistorpacks (to make debug more easy maybe)

I did an extra check so traces is not too close, holes etc. (hopefully)
I did a (bad) rework of VCC/GND lines (software I use seems not to support planes.. so had to do traces between points..)
so GND/VCC design will be total shit.. but hopefully this thing WORKS..

and.. actually DID order a bunch.. 4 layer board is not free.. and dirtypcb was actually kinda expensive here.. so I use seedstudio.

this is a render of the final product:
http://www.hertell.nu/bilder/A3640-1.png

using "Swedish" colors.. yes.. :)

and this is a render from the software I am using (Sprint layout)

http://www.hertell.nu/bilder/A3640-2.png

I will build one. I will sell some PCBs but not assembled stuff.

IF it boots.. I guess I need to learn eagle or kicad and transfer it to that software.
(plasmab.. skip your work with the 3640 for the moment.. I did sooo much changes.. you should do your TF stuff anyway :))

Anyway with all changes etc. Rev3.3 is a fitting name :)

talybont 19 July 2017 21:25

Whoa!!

Magic 19 July 2017 21:26

Wonderful work! I would like to either buy some blank boards when this is done or roll my own if this is an open project. I own Sprint Layout, are the 3.3 A3640 files available?

Chucky 19 July 2017 21:28

I will update my files on my page in some minutes...

Mr.Flibble 19 July 2017 21:32

Very, very interested in a board if they work! :)

Chucky 19 July 2017 21:37

Did a update of my original post on my web:

http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?page_id=514

Chucky 19 July 2017 21:38

And when posting this on the "Commodore Amiga" group on Facebook I got a lot of questions: why do you not add the 040-060 adapter..

hey. I want this thing to work first. with as small mods as possible to avoid issues.
and I am NO HW designer atall.. (and you will see that with the GND/VCC planes :))

Mr.Flibble 19 July 2017 21:40

Surprised you didn't get people asking if you can integrate a PPC cpu ;)

Acill 19 July 2017 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble (Post 1172524)

Oh he did, lol!!! Well done Chucky! Glad to see it moving on and cant wait to see the finished board here so I can start building and testing one.

esc 19 July 2017 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble (Post 1172524)

Also RAM, ethernet, USB, m.2 esata... :P

Nice work!

plasmab 19 July 2017 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 1172523)
And when posting this on the "Commodore Amiga" group on Facebook I got a lot of questions: why do you not add the 040-060 adapter..

hey. I want this thing to work first. with as small mods as possible to avoid issues.
and I am NO HW designer atall.. (and you will see that with the GND/VCC planes :))

We'll add some Terrible Fire later.. But my backlog it quite big already.

grelbfarlk 19 July 2017 23:22

Since everyone stole my jokes already, I'll just say good job!

Next step get someone who is good with VHDL combine those GALs into one large CPLD to make room for the USB, SCSI, SATA, PPC and PCI bus... and RAM.

Chucky 19 July 2017 23:25

And get rid of that terrible delayline. that 74F1803 that is hard to get (and costs shitload)

well.. simply redesign the shit out of it .. :)

plasmab 19 July 2017 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1172549)
Since everyone stole my jokes already, I'll just say good job!

Next step get someone who is good with VHDL combine those GALs into one large CPLD to make room for the USB, SCSI, SATA, PPC and PCI bus... and RAM.

I have an automated process for doing that.

grelbfarlk 19 July 2017 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 1172551)
And get rid of that terrible delayline. that 74F1803 that is hard to get (and costs shitload)

well.. simply redesign the shit out of it .. :)

My .02 is instead of defaulting to the CLK90 mod being on you should add a jumper for that or an 0 ohm resistor with three pads like 1-2 ON 2-3 OFF (or original config).

Quote:

I have an automated process for doing that.
Great!

Speedgeek would probably have many ideas to integrate a lot of his crazy mods into the design as well. One of his modifications was to replace many of the resistor nets with higher rated versions, I'd have to dig out my notes to find which ones. And he had other very interesting things regarding new functionality like what some people are half joking about adding.

thebajaguy 20 July 2017 00:41

Nice work John. Step one is to put the known working mods into play. Want list is round two, wish list comes after that...

I personally want the 68060 F00000 ROM code to fix the FPU (enable/disable). It probably would be something small enough to code into a custom chip if/when things get to that point.

dalek 20 July 2017 01:39

Oh wow! That's so cool :) Great to see you guys are making the source available for these hardware projects so they can be accessible to everyone!

Chucky 20 July 2017 07:13

The amiga had enough of closed stuff..

arananet 20 July 2017 14:37

Congratulations Chucky, looks awesome!

alenppc 20 July 2017 15:30

The one million dollar question is: where can we find the CPU slot connectors?