English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scalos beta, what am I doing wrong. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74967)

Ian 02 September 2014 11:57

Scalos beta, what am I doing wrong.

So been playing about with winuae lately for the first time in years and have been setting up do hdds and emulated systems without to many problems... Until it came to scalos.

I first installed wb 3.1, then mui 3.8 finally installing scalos as a workbench replacement. Note even with jit enabled this thing is so slow it's got to be some sort of problem.

The settings are the same as my 3.x setups. 68060 with the latest library from aminet that works without any issues. Anyone else run into problems with it? It seems dead anyway, hasn't been updated in years, just felt like having a play with it.

Michael Sykes 02 September 2014 12:31

1 Attachment(s)
What did you try?
This one: http://scalos.noname.fr/products/sca...a_41.7_68K.lha ?
Or the latest version from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/scalos/files/41.8-rc1/ ?

Im running The latest beta for years now(in winuae) and the last thing I have to complain about is speed.
OK, without JIT it is really slow compared to a clean OS3.x install.
But I have to admit I use only png icons.

Heres my UAE config. Maybe it helps.

Ian 02 September 2014 14:22

The one from the scalos website. I will try the SourceForge one later then see if that improves matters

Ian 02 September 2014 21:59

OK, so I've downloaded that one and it doesn't even install. Says there is a file missing the script is expecting.

I will try installing over 3.9 instead of 3.1, some of the files it's looking for just don't exist in 3.1

tero 02 September 2014 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 973750)
OK, so I've downloaded that one and it doesn't even install. Says there is a file missing the script is expecting.

I will try installing over 3.9 instead of 3.1, some of the files it's looking for just don't exist in 3.1

i guess the installer is broken, i had that too. I copied this thing with dopus.
My install is a few days ago, and everythings works now. Ask as long as i remember :)

Michael Sykes 03 September 2014 02:06

1 Attachment(s)
I used OS3.9 as a base to start of,too. I had AfA installed so I'm stuck to PNG icons. For some reason I cant snapshot Newicons anymore with both scalos and afa. But thats fine as long as you dont have 100s of custom game icons in that format for example.
As far as I remember I used the installer from 41.7 on 41.8 because it didn't work here as well. But take a look at the filestructure in the Scalos folder, it's really easy to copy the files by hand. And as allways, snoopdos is your best friend.

At the moment I'v downgraded the main Scalos exec back to 41.7 because for some strange reason I could scale the Icons on the fly now but the thumbnails in image folders where just blank squares... what can I say it's just a BETA. Expect the unexpected.

But all in all it looks good and feels even better!

Vot 03 September 2014 02:32

Its actually good to hear its broken, i tried to make a 3.1 based install and found it horribly broken. I thought id lost my amigafu.

gulliver 03 September 2014 06:51

Even in v41.7 I had lots of issues trying to customize its custom menus. It seems its prefs menu app does not edit all of the available Scalos menus. I had to resort to hexediting the menu prefs file.

v41.8 never worked stable enough for me.

It is a pitty, I like Scalos much more than Magellan, in fact, I use it on my main system despite all its shortcomings.

Ian 03 September 2014 10:05

Well I got it to work and colour me unimpressed. Deleted. I may try the older version later if I can find all the updates to it.

I found that the install script looks for files on a scalos: volume/assign that it's suppose to copy itself. So if you edit the script or rename your hdd scalos and copy the folder (icondatatypes or something like that) manually the installer runs through fine (if you select novice mode)

jbenam 17 October 2014 14:59

*bump*

Yesterday I tried installing Scalos Beta on my 3.1 install.

The 41.8 setup just kept exiting with the Installer script error when using Intermediate (didn't try Novice as Ian says, though), while 41.7 installed successfully but it wouldn't work as I'd get a "Couldn't open iconobject.library V39" even if everything was in the correct places.

Same goes with 41.6. After that I just went and installed the stable version, which is way older but at least works.

So the question is, has someone ever managed to get one of the latest Scalos betas to install correctly on 3.1?

Michael Sykes 17 October 2014 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbenam (Post 981336)
*bump*

Yesterday I tried installing Scalos Beta on my 3.1 install.

The 41.8 setup just kept exiting ...
..."Couldn't open iconobject.library V39"...

I have working 41.8 install as my everyday system running fine.
I installed Scalos over OS3.9(with AfA patch).
After the same strange trouble with the installer I think I just copied the files myself.
Just look at the Scalos main folder and copy the Datatypes and stuff to the corosponding places in your SYS: partition.
Then copy the salos folder to some place on sys like system or into the root dir and assing scalos: to it(set that assing early in startup-sequence).
Replace loadwb in C: with the one from scalos(rename the old one if somethin fails).
Reboot...
Done

I have tried some other versions of iconobject.library but had the same strage message even if the lib was a later version.
I also had some problems with Scalos 41.8 as my thumbnail preview was just a blank square and the system was overall instable.

So I got stuck with 41.7. No icon scaling (maybe AfA) but I can live with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Sykes (Post 973777)
what can I say it's just a BETA. Expect the unexpected.