English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tom Adapter (v2) Great stuff! (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88711)

DopPie 21 September 2017 18:52

Tom Adapter (v2) Great stuff!

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this under the support.Hardware section.

I wanted to let you guys know I found a usb mouse solution for my Amiga.
Previously I tried the Rys Adapter (mk2). I found that Rys Adapter way too sensitive.
Games like Lemmings or Operation Wolf became unplayable as the Rys Adapter made mouse movent way too fast in even it's slowest setting. Sadly, the Rys ended up in a corner gathering dust. It's useless to me as a mouse adapter.

So, after some time I thought I'd try the Tom Adapter (v2). It works right out of the box! The mouse speed is spot on! It even works via my KVM switch. I can now neatly share my mouse between my laptop and my Amiga. I love it!!! :spin I can now enjoy the optical mouse! That ball mouse is a bit of retro I can miss.

Should anyone need a usb mouse adapter for the Amiga, I can recommend the Tom (v2). That Rys is left for joypad duties only.

Hurray :crazy

Sinphaltimus 21 September 2017 18:57

I agree it's a good adaptor. I have the same adaptor and I really like it. Only issue I have is that it seems to be very picky about the mouse supported (must have ps2 protocol) so unfortunately, I can't use my KVM - Same issue with my USB keyboard adaptor. I have to use a wireless KB and a wired ball mouse with ps/2 to USB adaptor.

Once I complete my current projects I'll have to investigate further.

DopPie 21 September 2017 19:48

Well, the Tom v2 does not require a PS/2 mouse. It works on any USB HID mouse and keyboard or Game controller. It is a 100% USB device host.

It is picky about wirless mice. Mine didn't work. But I don't think that is a major issue.

Sinphaltimus 21 September 2017 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DopPie (Post 1186387)
Well, the Tom v2 does not require a PS/2 mouse. It works on any USB HID mouse and keyboard or Game controller. It is a 100% USB device host.

It is picky about wirless mice. Mine didn't work. But I don't think that is a major issue.

Perhaps I need to update the firmware.

puppypc 25 September 2017 03:19

The one that I own requires a mouse that uses the PS/2 protocol, meaning that some USB mice are compatible (they push the PS/2 protocol), but many newer ones won't. I forget if it's a TOM+ or a JERRY+, and I don't have it near me at the moment.

I found the A-EON mouse (it's just a logitech with the logo ripped off and replaced with a boing ball) sold on Amigakit works, and feels as "amiga" as any USB mouse can. Some people don't want to give them money, but you can just hunt down the model of mouse.

The company who makes TOM and JERRY adapters maintains a list of compatible mice, but you have to do a little googling to find it. I think that they link to it in their eBay listings.

Supamax 25 September 2017 06:24

Where can it be bought? :)

DopPie 25 September 2017 08:33

Ebay

The Tom Rev2 requires a Hid compliant mouse. This means most of them should work.

I did notice a strange thing. When I switch over to my laptop and back to my Amiga, it lags a bit. As it needs to tune in on the mouse or something. After a minute the lag disappears.

antiriad76 03 January 2018 15:19

Got one of these adapters. Does anyone know if it is compatible with the XBOX 360 controllers?

Also I am confused why there is an "Amiga" , Atari and Atari ST Mode.

Swe_Kryten2x4b 03 January 2018 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiriad76 (Post 1209536)
Got one of these adapters. Does anyone know if it is compatible with the XBOX 360 controllers?

Also I am confused why there is an "Amiga" , Atari and Atari ST Mode.

There are some pins in the DB9 connector that needs to be swapped depending on if the mouse is connected to an Atari ST or an Amiga. Don't remember which ones, although a 3rd party mouse I had during the nineties had a little swith on the bottom that would allow you to switch mode.

crabfists 07 June 2018 16:14

I got one of these Tom Rev2 adaptors to use with my A1200 but the right mouse button doesn't work. :( Has anybody else experienced this? I saw a report on an Amibay post of there being incompatibilities with certain A1200 motherboards.

The other problem I had was it was far too sensititve. Trying something like Lemmings 2 where you have to choose lemming type was really difficult to land the cursor on the one you are aiming at. I couldn't see any way to reduce the sensitivity of the device itself...

As far as compatibility goes it did really well with the 4 mice I tried with it though. I tried 2 wired and 2 wireless mice.

Daedalus 07 June 2018 16:30

The sensitivity issue is mostly down to the mouse, not the adaptor really. Most mice have their own acceleration curves and so on built in, instead of giving a linear response.

Some A1200s do have a funky right-hand button (and 3rd button) response. A pull-up resistor on that line might help things.

arcanist 07 June 2018 16:44

The Zowie and the cheap Dell mouse I have here work with both buttons on my A1200 1D4 with the Tom v2.

The acceleration is a bit much for fine control. The only variable-DPI mouse I have (Evoluent) doesn't work with the adapter.

crabfists 07 June 2018 17:23

The weird thing about the right mouse button is it works at boot time so I can get into the early startup screen but once I get to workbench it doesnt work at all. I will see which motherboard I have to see if it can help diagnose the issue.

I have another motherboard I could try it on but it's packed away at the moment so it's a bit of a faff to do.

Regarding the sensitivity, I am going to try a Sharkoon Shark Force mouse that I use at work. It has 3 DPI options, the lowest being 600 DPI.

If low DPI is the way to go then this mouse might be ideal as it goes down to 200 DPI (but its not cheap). :D

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/produ...master-2s-flow

Daedalus 07 June 2018 17:38

What can happen (and the effect I've seen on some A1200s) is that the button signal gets stuck low, so once it's pressed it remains pressed as far as the computer is concerned. So it will work for one click and that's it, which fits with what you're seeing.

crabfists 08 June 2018 00:33

Ah, that makes sense.

My motherboard is a 1B revision so perhaps it is an incompatibility with that particular revision?

I tried my adjustable DPI mouse and at 600 DPI it is much better. Almost perfect in workbench but still too twitchy in games.

puppypc 08 June 2018 17:59

I'll apologize for talking from memory (I haven't pulled out the adaptor in months now, and I never used this feature) but I recall that these adaptors have a feature where pressing a certain button combination on startup will switch between Amiga and Atari mode.

Could that be causing the problem there?

Daedalus 09 June 2018 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabfists (Post 1247251)
I tried my adjustable DPI mouse and at 600 DPI it is much better. Almost perfect in workbench but still too twitchy in games.

Yep, Workbench is a higher resolution screenmode than most games, so the mouse will be half as twitchy. 600DPI means that a typical game screen of 320x200 is covered horizontally in around 1/2 an inch, and vertically in 1/3 of an inch. Which isn't a lot really! It's a pity the adaptor doesn't offer a more "intelligent" conversion instead of a 1:1 passthrough - 300 DPI would be ideal I suspect.

crabfists 10 June 2018 00:48

Yeah, I agree. It’s an impressive device but the lack of sensitivity settings makes it kind of useless for my needs. Think I might try the Rys MkII adaptor which is supposed to allow the sensitively to be altered.

fluffkitten 13 June 2018 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabfists (Post 1247251)
Ah, that makes sense.

My motherboard is a 1B revision so perhaps it is an incompatibility with that particular revision?

I've a 2B that doesn't like mouse adapters, think it just depends on the individual motherboard no matter what the revision.

crabfists 13 June 2018 13:07

I must be really unlucky then because this adaptor doesn’t work on both my revision 1B or 1D4 motherboards. :P