English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which are the most accurate Amiga arcade conversions? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11859)

turrican3 22 October 2013 03:08

i don't if it was posted before but :
dragon has even a multi scrolling in the second stage that the arcade version doesn't have !

dlfrsilver 22 October 2013 06:08

dragon ninja ?

lilalurl 22 October 2013 06:54

Oh nice, a new game. "It's ... Guess the Partial Title"

Saint Dragon?

Rob 1 22 October 2013 10:42

My 10p's worth

I thought the Amiga version of Toki was good and looked similar but lacked the flowing game play of the original.

Final fight the Amiga version was ok but did slow a lot and also missed Haggar's special move roar (or am I remembering that incorrectly?)

wanderer 22 October 2013 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalurl (Post 917804)
Oh nice, a new game. "It's ... Guess the Partial Title"

Saint Dragon?

Has to be Dragon Breed. Love it! :p

Shatterhand 24 November 2015 19:18

Dragon Breed is a *very* good port, I had never heard about it up until recently... I was surprised it was a pretty good job. Shame it has the old "SFX or Music" shit so common on Amiga games.

Someone mentioned UN Squadron along the thread... UN Squadron is really bad, just because the framerate is awful! I could live with the weird colors and the small play area if the game ran at a decent frame rate. It would be kinda good even. But the way it is, the game is borderline unplayable.

Retro-Nerd 24 November 2015 20:12

Only the slightly enhanced SNES port of UN Squadron is good.

dlfrsilver 24 November 2015 20:43

dragon breed and un squadron are using modified ST game engines.

Shatterhand 24 November 2015 21:00

Yet Dragon Breed it's pretty good.

It's from the same team who ported R-Type 2 and Crackdown.

Crackdown has a very questionable pallete choice, but it's a very solid port too....

dlfrsilver 24 November 2015 21:28

those games are ST ports.

Shatterhand 24 November 2015 21:34

R-Type 2 doesn't have the parallax scroll on ST.

Even being ST ports (And the pallete choice really makes this clear), they are still good ports.

R-Type 2 is plagued with slowdown... but even Super R-Type on SNES is also plagued with slowdown. Home versions of R-Type and Slowdown almost always come together :D

EDIT:
Just checked Dragon Breed ST on Youtube, it's indeed identical to the Amiga game, but seems to be slower. Music also is not as good (And it also has no SFX, just music).

Fiery Phoenix 24 November 2015 21:53

Midnight Resistance (even as an ST port) is pretty close

That, Marble Madness and Buggy Boy play better than the arcade originals (imho)

ReadOnlyCat 24 November 2015 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix (Post 1052592)
Midnight Resistance (even as an ST port) is pretty close

That, Marble Madness and Buggy Boy play better than the arcade originals (imho)

Hum... We clearly did not play the same version of Buggy Boy, the Amiga version is far from the smooth frame rate of the Arcade.
As for Midnight Resistance, I played it a lot in the Arcade and the Amiga version is barely passable. It is not bad but it is far from what it should have been.

Mrs Beanbag 24 November 2015 23:24

why is Midnight Resistance so dark? i had to turn the brightness right up on my TV to be able to play it. ok i know it is called "Midnight" Resistance but clearly some levels were set in broad daylight, it's like they converted 3 bit colour values to 4 bit colour values without any adjustment

ReadOnlyCat 25 November 2015 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag (Post 1052607)
why is Midnight Resistance so dark? i had to turn the brightness right up on my TV to be able to play it. ok i know it is called "Midnight" Resistance but clearly some levels were set in broad daylight, it's like they converted 3 bit colour values to 4 bit colour values without any adjustment

Holy kitty! You are right!

Look at YouTube videos of the ST and MegaDrive versions and they are perfectly normal. I cannot believe they forgot to shift the color palettes when going from the ST to the Amiga but it really looks like they did.
Just incredible...

Retro-Nerd 25 November 2015 01:01

There are more games. APB i.e. Both games have color palette fixes via WHDLoad though.

Amiga1992 25 November 2015 02:30

ST shovelware sometimes had this palette problem.

s2325 25 November 2015 07:50

There was another thread only about these dark graphics.

Galahad/FLT 25 November 2015 15:01

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=Moran

saimon69 25 November 2015 21:52

I want to enforce about the Elite port of Ghosts'n'Goblins because despite the music did sound a bit wrong, the attention to detail was close to manic levels: any hardcore G'n'G gamer know the tricks, and those most of the time work even on the Amiga port: shooting tombstones to have the wizard coming out and turn you in a frog, the hidden stones, shooting at the gate, the 'zombie tunnel' on level 3, the secret 10000 points bonuses, the hidden replacement armors... is all there!