English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Requester Bug when copying IPF to Standard ADF with X-Copy/Power Copy. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62737)

BarryB 16 January 2012 22:17

Requester Bug when copying IPF to Standard ADF with X-Copy/Power Copy.

Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.4.0 Beta 12 and this bug only happens in Fullscreen mode!

I've got WinUAE setup for an A1200 workbench with my own Hard Drives running Fullscreen and noticed if I put an IPF in DF0:, create a standard ADF and put that in DF1: and then try to copy it with PowerCopy or X-COPY then WinUAE appears to 'freeze'.

What actually has happened (at least for me) is a windows requester is 'stuck' behind WinUAE and can't be displayed thus you can't click on it and renders the F12 key unuseable meaning you have to kill WinUAE via Task Manager. The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image. I can ALT+TAB out of WinUAE but the requester vanishes when Windows desktop appears.

Using an extended ADF cures this problem but if running in Fullscreen mode it still means a standard ADF file can potentially cause WinUAE to freeze if trying to copy an IPF to it. Also, running WinUAE in Windowed mode allows the requester to be displayed so you can click on it and carry on copying, X-Copy however goes fullscreen and produces the same 'bug'. Also found out you can ALT+TAB when its 'froze' and press return to answer the invisible requester :spin

Toni Wilen 17 January 2012 08:20

Windows version? Direct3D or DirectDraw mode?

dlfrsilver 17 January 2012 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 796796)
Tried both 2.3.3 and 2.4.0 Beta 12 and this bug only happens in Fullscreen mode!

I've got WinUAE setup for an A1200 workbench with my own Hard Drives running Fullscreen and noticed if I put an IPF in DF0:, create a standard ADF and put that in DF1: and then try to copy it with PowerCopy or X-COPY then WinUAE appears to 'freeze'.

What actually has happened (at least for me) is a windows requester is 'stuck' behind WinUAE and can't be displayed thus you can't click on it and renders the F12 key unuseable meaning you have to kill WinUAE via Task Manager. The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image. I can ALT+TAB out of WinUAE but the requester vanishes when Windows desktop appears.

Using an extended ADF cures this problem but if running in Fullscreen mode it still means a standard ADF file can potentially cause WinUAE to freeze if trying to copy an IPF to it. Also, running WinUAE in Windowed mode allows the requester to be displayed so you can click on it and carry on copying, X-Copy however goes fullscreen and produces the same 'bug'. Also found out you can ALT+TAB when its 'froze' and press return to answer the invisible requester :spin

what is the game name ?

Toni Wilen 17 January 2012 12:35

Crystal ball showed one possible solution: Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?

(bte, what does the name of the game have anything to do with this?)

dlfrsilver 17 January 2012 12:47

the message appears if the user is trying to copy a game using protected tracks in a standard ADF. hence then "The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image".

BarryB 17 January 2012 13:13

Sorry, Windows 7 x64 and Direct3D.

It happens as dlfrsilver says, when a protected disk is detected WinUAE responds with the message about non-standard floppy format but gets hidden in fullscreen mode.

Will try that other winuae.exe when I get home from work.

dlfrsilver 17 January 2012 13:14

It's normal since the ADF format can't hold the informations from a disk using an MFM format or an RNC protection for instance.

Toni Wilen 17 January 2012 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 796895)
the message appears if the user is trying to copy a game using protected tracks in a standard ADF. hence then "The requester says that the software uses a non-standard floppy disk format and you need to use a custom floppy image".

Yeah but you can just use any copier in nibble (or equivalent) mode and protected ipf or even any standard adf.

BarryB 17 January 2012 13:21

Yeah, once the requester is answered it will copy the disk it's just the requester gets hidden, that's the issue and not whether you can/cannot copy the IPF.

BarryB 17 January 2012 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 796893)
Crystal ball showed one possible solution: Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?

(bte, what does the name of the game have anything to do with this?)

You should consult that Crystal Ball more often Toni, it knows what its doing! That requester now has focus in front of WinUAE so I can now click on the OK button :great