English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What's your favourite emulator ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81113)

Arcade 12 January 2016 23:37

What's your favourite emulator ?

Hi friends,

Pls, I would like to know what is the difference between WinUAE, FS-UAE & WinFellow. I have been using FS-UAE (gave me problems with some roms), everything else, it's a good emulator. What's your favourite ?

Thank you for your clarification.

Best regards.

TCD 12 January 2016 23:47

Added a poll to make it easier to see how many users use which emulator.

ransom1122 12 January 2016 23:52

I like both WINUAE & FS-UAE. But I think WINUAE for the win as it allows me to play with my configuration settings.

Anubis 12 January 2016 23:55

What kind of poll is this??

You have to be real emulation enthusiast to use WinFellow, while FS-UAE has some 'easy to use' features, but get's messy when you like to make different settings for different things, leaving best amiga emulator by itself... :)

Arnie 13 January 2016 00:11

WinUAE and Amiga Forever for me.

DamienD 13 January 2016 13:21

Definitely WinUAE for me ;)

Retro-Nerd 13 January 2016 13:24

WinUAE for everthing hard drive related stuff.
FS-UAE+Launcher for starting single games. There is nothing better for it. (Sorry Belg, you know it's true).

ReadOnlyCat 13 January 2016 13:35

If one uses a Mac or Linux then FS-UAE is the best (and only?) choice since it is the only version of UAE which is multi-platform and by itself that is a fantastic (and in my eyes, necessary) feature.

Also, it is a bit unfair to compare WinUAE and other UAEs since they mostly differ only by the UI, the core of the emulation is UAE in all cases.

I do not (yet) use WinUAE on PC because I use my PC only to access my Amiga-s and not for day to day use but I will have to do so soon so I will finally be able to compare WinUAE and FS-UAE: it probably has been more than a decade since I last ran WinUAE. ;)

Devlin 13 January 2016 13:36

WinUAE, but only for the stuff my real hardware can't handle.

ptyerman 13 January 2016 14:39

WinUAE for sure. I still use the old DOS version of Fellow on a couple of old machines I have though. FS-UAE is just far to fiddly for me, and it's a right pain in the butt when you can't change floppy disks on the fly, but have to guess and pick which adf's to include before you start. It's also slower than WinUAE, or at least feels like it.

Belgarath 13 January 2016 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 1062370)
WinUAE for everthing hard drive related stuff.
FS-UAE+Launcher for starting single games. There is nothing better for it. (Sorry Belg, you know it's true).

I've not actually tried fs-uae yet so I won't comment on this yet..If it's true fair enough..if it's not true then be warned I will hit you in the face with a wet kipper.

Retro-Nerd 13 January 2016 18:53

Save the fish and finally try FS-UAE with a registered account for the online database. :p:D

quahappy 13 January 2016 20:05

I started of with Amiga Forever back in 2006 but then I discovered EAB and WinUAE and never looked back since. If there's anyone who likes fiddling with configurations, it's me! Although, give WinUAE massive credit where it's due, the majority of games these days work flawlessly in Quickstart mode.

mintsauce82 14 January 2016 17:22

FS-UAE, even over WinUAE on Windows. I prefer the ease of use and automatic display stretching.

I used WinUAE for years but I could never get the display exactly to my liking. FS-UAE kills that problem without me even touching anything.

seuden 14 January 2016 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belgarath (Post 1062460)
I've not actually tried fs-uae yet so I won't comment on this yet..If it's true fair enough..if it's not true then be warned I will hit you in the face with a wet kipper.

I think Kipper might have something to say . ;)

WinUAE and FS-UAE are great for different reasons! Both excellent.

amilo3438 14 January 2016 21:25

If it comes to a small CPU usage, without doubt, WinFellow! :) (otherwise WinUAE)

ReadOnlyCat 14 January 2016 21:49

Isn't Fellow kilometers behind UAE in terms of emulation faithfulness?
I understand when people have a niche usage for it (such as an MS-DOS machine) but with JIT enabled UAE is also quite economical so I am not sure why anyone would use it as their main emulator.

Galahad/FLT 14 January 2016 23:24

Winuae for me on PC, and whilst there are other better Droid Amiga emulators, UAE4droid is perfect for quick testing.

TCD 15 January 2016 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by seuden (Post 1062750)
WinUAE and FS-UAE are great for different reasons! Both excellent.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55963398.jpg

Neil79 15 January 2016 01:25

I used to be a huge WinUAE convert, could never find anything better! But now I use Amiga Forever + all the latest WHDLOAD packs from the EAB server + FS-UAE for quick game launching!

Amiga Forever tends to be for HDF files and ADF's from Aaron White