English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Window style suggestions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=66908)

mark_k 06 December 2012 16:55

Window style suggestions

Some suggestions and a possible bug report relating to window styles.

Testing in Windows Vista, I noticed that setting the windowed style to borderless makes the emulation window appear at the top-left of the desktop. It's fixed in that position and can't be moved. I tried right-clicking the taskbar button and selecting Move; that didn't do anything.

Suggestions... Add an option to automatically remove the status bar when OSD is enabled, i.e. change style from standard<->minimal. That would be useful for A2024 or RTG modes where the extra space occupied by the status bar means a 1024-pixels-high display can't fit on a 1050-pixel-high desktop.

Is it possible to have immediate feedback when changing the window style, without needing to resume emulation? Is it possible to not close and reopen the emulation window when e.g. changing from standard to minimal window types? Could you just remove the status bar and resize the window rather than close and reopen?

Toni Wilen 06 December 2012 18:01

Borderless mode window moves by left clicking anywhere and dragging around. (Capturing mouse requires double click in borderless mode)

Style changes and other similar changes on the fly are too rarely needed in normal use cases, another not worth the trouble option to make complex code even more complex.

mark_k 06 December 2012 18:12

A little update...
With WinUAE 2.5.0 final, setting the window style to borderless causes the window to reopen close to its previous position. That's the proper/correct position I think. But with the more recent 2012-12-04 and 2012-12-06 winuae.zip the borderless window always opens at the top left of the screen.

Regarding window movement, I noticed that regardless of the window style, right-clicking the taskbar button and selecting move doesn't allow the window to be moved. The mouse pointer changes to the "four arrows" movement image, but the window can't be moved. Is that something that could be fixed?

Ignore the last paragraph, it's wrong! In Windows, after selecting Move, pressing the cursor keys does move the window. You can only use the mouse to move the window after pressing one of the cursor keys first.

Toni Wilen 24 December 2012 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_k (Post 854641)
Suggestions... Add an option to automatically remove the status bar when OSD is enabled, i.e. change style from standard<->minimal. That would be useful for A2024 or RTG modes where the extra space occupied by the status bar means a 1024-pixels-high display can't fit on a 1050-pixel-high desktop.

It does not work that way. There is nothing "behind" the status bar. It would be waste of CPU power.

WinUAE outer window size = size in Display panel + window borders (including status bar if enabled).

Your suggestion would require change of Display panel height which will cause other unexpected side-effects like Amiga display Y-position changing, scaling and centering change (depending on filter settings) when switching status bar state... It also requires complete re-creation of D3D textures or DirectDraw surfaces.

mark_k 27 December 2012 18:52

I was thinking that if OSD↔statusbar toggling were implemented, WinUAE would (when going from status bar to OSD) remove/close the status bar window and reduce the height of the emulation window correspondingly. The size of the emulated display/DirectX surface etc. wouldn't need to change.

The idea being, the OSD basically duplicates information in the status bar so it's not necessary to show both. In order to switch from one to the other the user needs to change both OSD and window style settings. Whereas a hotkey could be used to quickly toggle between OSD + minimal window, and no OSD + standard window.