English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Shadow of the Beast 3 longplay (HD) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41776)

laffer 04 January 2009 05:06

Shadow of the Beast 3 longplay (HD)

I decided to record Shadow of the Beast 3 since I have recordings of SotB1&2 on my channel already.

It's the game in the series I like the least, probably a big part due to the fact that I never played it back then and don't feel nostalgic about it.

Some things I don't like about this game is that unlike the previous games in the series, this one is far too easy. No hard enemies, pretty easy puzzles (and it's much more puzzle based than the other games), divided into levels (which makes it feel less like one 'big' world) and less memorable music.
And the intro doesn't fit the game at all!

However, it does have some good aspects as well. For one thing, it looks great. It combines the multilayered parallax scrolling from the first game with the 8 way directional scrolling of the second game.
Also, the controls are better than in the previous games.
And even though I don't like the musis overall as well as in the previous games, there are some kickass tunes. And they seem to change more often as well.
Oh and unlike the previous games, this one actually has an ending. It's not great but at least you get something.

There were already some recordings of this game up on Youtube but they are in pretty bad quality, so I felt that was a good reason to record this game and upload it in much better quality with the relatively new HD option on Youtube.

Anyway, enough rambling.. here are the links -

Part 0/5 (intro)
Part 1/5 (level 1)
Part 2/5 (level 2)
Part 3/5 (level 3)
Part 4/5 (level 4)
Part 5/5 (final boss + ending)

TCD 04 January 2009 11:27

Again a cool longplay and the quality is great :great Thanks for the links laffer :)
Btw : I also like the first two parts more ;)

Avanze 04 January 2009 12:29

Awesome, Laffer. What else are you planning for HD? By the way are you still updating your vimeo channel?

bLAZER 04 January 2009 14:12

Yes, nice work. Very nice quality, at last Youtube doesn't suck for these kinds of movies.

AmigaFriend 04 January 2009 16:40

Great work Laffer. I've already subscribed for you channel ages ago (Laffer35) and seen all your Beasts videos. :great

The first video I actually see at these dimensions on You Tube.

Shoonay 04 January 2009 16:43

Nice one laffer, thanks!
Really brings back memories - that's the only SotB that I enjoyed, and the only one I've finished without cheats, on my own :)

AmigaFriend 04 January 2009 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5h00n4y (Post 495255)
Nice one laffer, thanks!
Really brings back memories - that's the only SotB that I enjoyed, and the only one I've finished without cheats, on my own :)

I think SOTB3 is one of the least played and known by Amiga fans. Myself included!

Retro-Nerd 04 January 2009 17:34

It's for sure the best Beast game. Nice longplay, laffer. I learned some new "tricks". :)

Shoonay 04 January 2009 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpect (Post 495271)
I think SOTB3 is one of the least played and known by Amiga fans. Myself included!

Not where I come from ;)

Plus, what Retro said :cool

s2325 04 January 2009 17:50

I don't know why "Shadow of the Beast 3" when our hero is human here. Excellent graphics, music and atmosphere but I don't like main character. Not bad for me, but should be better.

Shoonay 04 January 2009 17:54

It's a metaphor ;)
You know, to conquer the beast-within and stuff like that ;)

laser 04 January 2009 18:16

great work but the aspect ratio of the videos is not correct

bLAZER 05 January 2009 15:34

Hey Laffer, I was thinking of recording some Amiga intros/cracktros. What resolution do you have setup in WinUAE and what codec do you record the video with?

laffer 05 January 2009 18:02

They have an excellent recording guide over at Recorded Amiga Games.

http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod..._id=94&forum=1

bLAZER 05 January 2009 18:07

Yes, I actually found it just a couple of minutes ago :D Thanks anyway.

bLAZER 05 January 2009 18:42

Although when I record the process is veeery slow, around 26 fps. I record in 320x256, 50 fps. It doesn't matter if I change codec, or fiddel with the "disable frame rate limit" etc. always around 26 fps. If I change the resolution to 640x512 I get around 7 fps.... so what's the deal... I mean I have a really fast computer...

Retro-Nerd 05 January 2009 18:56

Do you have an enabled filter?

laffer 05 January 2009 18:58

Yeah enable null filter, speeds it up a lot for me (never slows down while recording for me).

bLAZER 06 January 2009 01:18

Yes, that indeed makes it capturing at 50 fps... although since my CPU (my real one) only are at about 20%, isn't there a way to speed it up more? As fast as my CPU can handle? I know I recorded some sound at 500 fps or something a while ago.

bLAZER 06 January 2009 06:21

And also, what format do you finally upload the movie in to Youtube? I uploaded the movie encoded with TSCC, and even upscaled it to 1280x1024, but Youtube refuses to make a HD version of it.