English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Arcade games that should be ported to the Amiga (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=96123)

dlfrsilver 30 January 2019 16:33

Mmmhhh yes..... I need to chat with Mc. Geezer about SF2.

DamienD 30 January 2019 18:15

Nah; not worth it...

There are plenty of cool, other arcade ports that should be done instead of any games in the Street Fighter series.

Solo Kazuki 30 January 2019 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzybee (Post 1301247)
The Amiga was never capable of a percect translation of any SF-game, simply because it lacked a sufficient and standardized game-controller. Visuals alone do not make a perfect game :-).

There is game which negate controller part, but confirm visuals part. It's Super Street Fighter II Turbo. You forgot about CD32 joypad, and game requires joypad (or keyboard) control. Six button system is same as in consoles/arcade versions. Graphically game is also great... but, sadly, playability is very bad.

Solo Kazuki 30 January 2019 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1301250)
Mmmhhh yes..... I need to chat with Mc. Geezer about SF2.

I think better idea will be proper SSF2T version for AGA.

mcgeezer 30 January 2019 20:42

Arcade games that should be ported to the Amiga

Street Fighter just never appealed to me as a game, it's not that the games are no good I just don't seem to enjoy the genre. That said, I like the likes of Golden Axe, Shadow Warriors, Double Dragon... I think it's because I like the progressive elements in the games.

The Amiga does deserve a good Double Dragon though so I may be convinced to do that at some point. Wonder Boy, Rolling Thunder and my own game would all be ahead of it though in the pipe line.

Geezer

van_dammesque 30 January 2019 20:55

Just been on the speccy forums and Kung-Fu Master was mentioned, a conversion that would suit the Amiga! Similar-ish time to Rygar and fond memories of both!

mcgeezer 30 January 2019 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by van_dammesque (Post 1301305)
Just been on the speccy forums and Kung-Fu Master was mentioned, a conversion that would suit the Amiga! Similar-ish time to Rygar and fond memories of both!

I did think about doing Kung Fu Master... straight forward game to do on an A500.... don't think it even got a port.

Solo Kazuki 30 January 2019 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1301301)
(...)Rolling Thunder(...)

Rolling Thunder is available for Amiga, but very poor version. So good version is nice idea. And after that Rolling Thunder 2! ;)

jotd 30 January 2019 21:21

There are a ton of excellent pre-1986 games that weren't ported just because people weren't into retrogaming at the time (I don't know of any pre-1984 game that was officially ported). So they prefered poor ports of superior arcade games that the Amiga could not cope with (Strider...) than 1:1 ports of older arcade ports (Elevator Action, PacMan, Pengo ...) that the amiga could cope with.

That doesn't mean that there weren't good arcade ports (Marble Madness, Pang for instance), or that Elite Bombjack was botched when it could have been arcade perfect... but still, pity, as a lot of pre 1985 games are classics. Rygar could have been ported, but it would have been lousy, of course, and McGeezer would have had to rewrite it anyway :)

mcgeezer 30 January 2019 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1301311)
and McGeezer would have had to rewrite it anyway :)

:D:D:D

A game I was really disappointed with was Side Arms as a port, I spent a lot of money on that game.

Another of my favourite games is Robotron.... sadly, very difficult to do justice with the controllers available.

jotd 30 January 2019 21:31

Not enough time in a life to recode all the Tiertex botched ports. Side Arms is cool in arcade, yes.

Choose your battles.

malko 30 January 2019 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1301301)
[...] the amiga does deserve a good double dragon though so i may be convinced to do that at some point. wonder boy, rolling thunder and my own game would all be ahead of it though in the pipe line. [...]

+ + + + + + + + 1 :)

mcgeezer 30 January 2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1301313)
Choose your battles.

With debugging symbols ofcourse. ;)

dlfrsilver 30 January 2019 22:02

Kung fu Master from Irem is the same bitchery as what the sega system 16 or 18 is :
an hardware using both planar and bitmap chunky graphics.

Very easy to port on Amiga. But for this one i don't see the challenge.

Rolling Thunder use sprites sprites not very common (possibly not Amiga "compatible").

And good luck with assembling the levels.

microfinne 30 January 2019 23:18

+1 Wonder boy. It´s still one of my favorites and enjoy playing the arcade boot-leg/jamma board on supergun.

mcgeezer 30 January 2019 23:52

Lots of people like Wonderboy.

Doing a Sega game is fucking dangerous though.

Maybe call it.. Boy Wonder, and make 'Boy' a Goth. :)

mcgeezer 31 January 2019 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1301340)
Never saw the appeal of the first Wonderboy, The Dragons Trap however is a classic i know thats not an arcade game, but +6trillion for a Rolling Thunder port though!

Ohhh...the original Wonderboy i filled to the brim with 10 pences.

Foul 31 January 2019 01:02

Personnal wish list :

Black Dragon (Black Tiger)
Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon
Shinobi
Solar Warrior (Xain'd Sleena)

And I own them all on real PCB... Arcade rulezzz ;)

demoniac 31 January 2019 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1301312)
A game I was really disappointed with was Side Arms as a port, I spent a lot of money on that game.

Having enjoyed the Amiga port without playing the arcade version, I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

Quote:

Another of my favourite games is Robotron.... sadly, very difficult to do justice with the controllers available.
Get 2 Atari 2600 joysticks and glue them to a table. :)

Hewitson 31 January 2019 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeezer (Post 1301338)
Lots of people like Wonderboy.

Doing a Sega game is fucking dangerous though.

Maybe call it.. Boy Wonder, and make 'Boy' a Goth. :)

There was a clone called Thunder Boy which I don't recall causing any legal troubles. Sega probably didn't care because it sucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWt7ANiDIpc