English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best way to convert thousands of DMS files (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65899)

Ian 17 September 2012 23:14

Best way to convert thousands of DMS files

I have loads of DMS files that I need to convert to ADF, what is the best way to do this?

I've used xDMS from windows, but this doesn't extract every DMS so thats out of the question.

I've used dopus from within WinUAE before but forgot how to use it (Lost the script BippyM gave me), and obviously this takes a lot longer but seemed to work with all dms files.

So is there a better way?

DH 17 September 2012 23:19

Try Adf Opus 1.2

I'm sure you can batch convert them all back to adf, I'm pretty sure :)

Edit: Yes you can, I've just checked :)

Ian 17 September 2012 23:29

Think that doesn't work on all dms files either plus not 100% sure but i tried to install a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to like windows 7 x64

prowler 17 September 2012 23:34

Are you sure that the DMS files which xDMS won't extract are not corrupt?

In my experience, this has always been the case. But then I have found xDMS to be one of a number of tools useful to help repair them.

DH 17 September 2012 23:39

Hmm, windows 7, that's a real shame... Can't you use VirtualPC with XP on Win7 and do it through that. I know it's a pain in the butt, but I batch converted over 2000 .dms files some years ago in XP and it seemed to work on all of those, not saying it works 100% of the time, just my experience.

Ian 18 September 2012 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 840083)

In my experience, this has always been the case. But then I have found xDMS to be one of a number of tools useful to help repair them.

Yeah i'm sure they aren't corrupt as i extracted on to an emulated floppy yesterday without issue. I don't know if there is a newer version of xDMS though. Got the version from pauls website 1.3.3

prowler 18 September 2012 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 840088)
Yeah i'm sure they aren't corrupt as i extracted on to an emulated floppy yesterday without issue.

That's good to know. DMS files are not simple to fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 840088)
I don't know if there is a newer version of xDMS though. Got the version from pauls website 1.3.3

No, that's the latest version I have too.

StingRay 18 September 2012 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler (Post 840083)

xDMS has problems with quite a few DMS archives. I'd always use a native Amiga version for converting such files.

Toni Wilen 18 September 2012 09:38

uaeunp should be more safe than xdms. uaeunp uses xdms code but also includes fixes related to banner ad handling.

xdms does not support some "fake" banners block types and creates invalid adf images.

Ian 18 September 2012 13:35

Is uaeunp windows side or amiga side Toni and is it just drag and drop? I could try later i suppose

Toni Wilen 18 September 2012 16:08

It Windows command line = need some batch file stuff to handle multiple files.

Perhaps I need to add built-in batch mode..

Ian 18 September 2012 17:45

Yes you do, when you get time of course ;)

if its not to cheeky maybe a feature that will put the adfs in the same folder the dms files where in. Currently xDMS puts the adfs in the same directory regardless of where it came from. And is also quite limited to the amount of files it came process at anyone time.

Toni Wilen 18 September 2012 17:51

It isn't that simple (just extracting all files to same dir)

Unpacking one DMS usually generates more than one file because uaeunp also extracts all dms (bbs) banner ads (which are very common) and fake boot blocks (which are also used as an ads..) as separate files, uaeunp is not just a simple disk image extractor :)

Ian 18 September 2012 20:24

I don't mind that actually, I like to read all the text so if it extracted all that I'd be happy.

Dopuser 18 September 2012 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 840201)
It isn't that simple (just extracting all files to same dir)

Unpacking one DMS usually generates more than one file because uaeunp also extracts all dms (bbs) banner ads (which are very common) and fake boot blocks (which are also used as an ads..) as separate files, uaeunp is not just a simple disk image extractor :)

There is no need for unpacking dms archives before conversion.
On AmigaOS there is XAD package doing the magic with archives.
Use power of Amiga! Just one simple file manager's button will make miracle there... mark all DMS archives, press converting button and that is all.

Toni Wilen 19 September 2012 09:32

Afaik all external DMS decompression routines are based on xdms (reverse engineered from dms) and official dms is closed source. There is no guarantee it works correctly with all files.

And you would also lose bbs ads :)

Ian 21 September 2012 12:49

So I got the bat file going (Not really an expert at them though)

I can get all filenames and extract them, but if I try to extract them into a different directory it doesn't work.

this is what I'm using that works:

FOR /R %%F in (*.dms) do uaeunp "%%~nF.dms" "%%~nF.adf"

What I would like to do is this:

FOR /R DMSs %%F in (*.dms) do uaeunp "DMS\%%~nF.dms" "ADFs\%%~nF.adf"

Using this it finds the DMS files in the DMSs directory goes through the process of extraction, but will not put the ADF in the ADFs directory and it says file not found.

Ian 21 September 2012 13:23

Nevermind, solved that with just a simple move command after.

Toni, How do you extract banner ads and such, I have tried -x DMSs ** to extact all but I just end up with another copy of all the DMS files.

Toni Wilen 21 September 2012 17:21

Hmm.. Probably not possible because it also lists dms file in "extracted" file list..

Need to think some more batch mode friendly way..

Ian 22 September 2012 14:18

How do you extract ADFs from WRP?

I have successfully done it with dsq files because there is a thread here about it, but nothing on wrp extraction.

I'm using this in a btachfile.

FOR /R WRPs %%F in (*.wrp) do (
uaeunp WRPs %%~nF.wrp %%~nF.adf
move %%~nF.adf ADFs\
del WRPs\%%~nF.wrp
)

From looking at the image it's zipped inside the wrp file and although the above does create an ADF it is the same size as the wrp so I'm guessing something additional is needed to unzip the image?