English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What is the best standalone Amiga OS Emulation Distro? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89633)

antiriad76 29 November 2017 17:25

What is the best standalone Amiga OS Emulation Distro?

This question doesn't necessarily concentrate on a specific emulator but I think most standalone Distros revolve around the UAE Emulator. Considering the following Amiga OS Distributions which ones are considering the best?

1. Plain WinUAE or FS-UAE Emulation with Hard Drive Images
2. Amilator (https://generationamiga.stackstorage...EGn0k0sr4WWvFI )
3. Amibian (Raspberry PI Specific)
4. Amiberry (Raspberry PI Specific)
5. Amiga Forever (Commercial)
6. Amithlon (X86 Architecture, Outdated)
7. AmiSYS (Hasn't been updated since 2009)
8. AmiKIT (favorite distribution, constantly updated, Online updates)
9. Icaros/Aros
10. Classic WB (Hasn't been updated since 2015)

Is there any other distribution I might be missing?

As far as my personal choice. I prefer AmiKIT with plain WinUAE Emulation.

Thanks

DamienD 29 November 2017 17:34

For me:

1. Plain WinUAE

and

10. Classic WB

SnkBitten 30 November 2017 14:28

1. Plain WinUAE
6. Amithlon

Plain WinUAE:
Extremely easy to setup/use and extremely compatible with constant updates and improvements. No extra hardware/computer needed.

Amithlon:
I'm a huge Amithlon fan. Amithlon is my primary Amiga emulation setup with carefully chosen hardware.

Amithlon may be outdated as far as what hardware it supports, luckily most of that outdated hardware is extremely cheap these days and can run AmigaOS 3.9 and system friendly apps extremely well.

Otherwise I use my A4000T or A4000D.

ptyerman 30 November 2017 14:56

WinUAE:
E-UAE:
Amithlon:
As already said, a complete Amithlon system can be built for next to nothing.
X-Amiga:
Similar to Amithlon but better in some ways, it also emulates the Amiga chipset (OCS, ECS and AGA) as well as RTG. Also a complete system can be built for peanuts like Amithlon.

Retroplay 30 November 2017 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1202856)
For me:

1. Plain WinUAE

and

10. Classic WB

I second that, with the occasional updates applied manually (icon.library, WHDLoad, RawDIC v5.0 etc).

Marcuz 30 November 2017 17:36

I think that a poll would be nice here; for me, plain Winuae mounting Classic Wb.

DamienD 30 November 2017 17:50

Done ;)

antiriad76 30 November 2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcuz (Post 1203075)
I think that a poll would be nice here; for me, plain Winuae mounting Classic Wb.

To be fair I am also using WinUAE with mounted HDD folder for AmiKIT. My only complaint with Amikit is that it turned "Commercial" with Amikit X. So now no more updates on AmiKIT8

By the way. Is Amikit the only one that supports Web-updates?

I also use ClassicWB with the "real" A1200.
In regards to any real hardware specific distribution I am looking forward to try the Apollo OS distro with my Vampire which I haven't setup yet. I think currently ClassicWB is the best distro for "real" hardware.

DH 30 November 2017 18:58

I have to agree with DamienD on this one

Plain WinUAE, for obvious reasons

and

Classic Workbench, because it's fantastic and our resident Bloodwych created it :great

nobody 30 November 2017 19:33

This is a comparison between non-standalone emulators (Winuae), standalone emulators, workbench 3rd party app preset distributions and hardware. The appropriate question should be what Amiga(-like) experience do you prefer.

Marcuz 01 December 2017 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1203083)
Done ;)

Thanks! :)

prowler 01 December 2017 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiriad76 (Post 1203112)
By the way. Is Amikit the only one that supports Web-updates?

No, Amiga Forever did the last time I had it loaded.

Note that I am not recommending it for that reason. I would rather it didn't, tbh. I have not run AmiKit either since discovering that it supported web-updates.

AdvanceFollow 07 December 2017 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobody (Post 1203122)
This is a comparison between non-standalone emulators (Winuae), standalone emulators, workbench 3rd party app preset distributions and hardware. The appropriate question should be what Amiga(-like) experience do you prefer.

I agree, you're comparing apples and raspberries..I mean oranges. :nervous

I've used several of the listed options, for different things.

Plain WinUAE - Always handy to have when you just need to quickly load an ADF or check something out

Amiga Forever - Same, but even quicker/easier to set up. Also a convenient, legal way to get ROMs and Workbench disks.

Amibian/Amiberry - Showed great potential as a "pretend Amiga", but incompatibility, inconsistent performance and lack of features turned me away. UAE on Arm isn't as mature as WinUAE.

AmiKIT - It's fun to play around with just to see what can be done with classic AmigaOS 3.x when it's pushed to the limit

Icaros/Aros - I occasionally play around with this in a VM. It's cool, but I've never managed to get it to boot on "real" hardware (I think my PC's are too new).

ClassicWB - I run this on my MiST. It's fairly lightweight and the most compatible with older games/apps.

bimbo 10 December 2017 16:14

UAE. The only thing is that i find it so hard to configure for different games. I keep looking for somewhere to download preset configs for games, but cannot find them. They would seriouly make life easier.

Dunny 10 December 2017 17:23

WinUAE when I'm in windows, FS-UAE for Mac and Linux. Custom Amilator for a laptop Amiga :)