English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Lost Computers - The Acorn Archimedes (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=5268)

oldpx 04 July 2002 11:28

Atari is 800 and 2600 for me. I haven't seen any Atari hardware newer than that :D

7-Zark-7 04 July 2002 12:00

The comments by MOS-6581 are probably all too true. Once again, what might've been had the AAA chipset seen the light of day-instead Commodore thought it wise to plunge into the MS-DOS PC clone world right when the bottom of the market fell out.
Imagine the Archimedies,Atari & CBM's P.R. marketing departments working as a combined force-that'd be scary!! :D

Big-Byte 04 July 2002 13:06

Zarch came first. Not Virus.

Zarch actually started off as one or two level technical demo that came free with the archimedes.. I remember everyone's jaws dropping when we were shown it at school..

There was lost of arguments at the time between the one person in the class who had an archimedes at home (there was always one) and the hoards of Amiga owners (ie me and my mates :)) wether the Amiga could handle the graphics but a while later Virus was released on the Amiga and that settled it.

btw.. I too have the complete Tosec of Archimedes on my ftp but I dont recall seeing Zarch in there!?!

Bloodwych 04 July 2002 13:08

Big-Byte, I've been looking for Zarch on your FTP, but to no avail.

I've pm'ed Ian and asked him to put it in the zone (if he has it).

LOL, we had the Archimedes/Amiga argument with a kid in my class (yes there is always one ;) ). His Dad was a school teacher so he got an A4000 on the cheap. He'd swear blind that the arch was the daddy, but we'd slam him (like 100 vs 1) with our pompous Amiga superiority attitude. :) :D

Oh yeah, a lone Atari ST supporter also still existed. I think these loners became friends in order to stand up to the Amiga onslaught.

I mean I used to own an Atari ST back in ‘87, but they were so "yesterday" by the time we hit 1989 (the same time I replaced it with the Amiga Batman pack and bought Bloodwych) :)

1989 was probably my greatest year. Amiga and Bloodwych all coming along at once. Fantastic. :haha

Big-Byte 04 July 2002 14:11

It seems Zarch does exist as a game in its own right for the Archimedes.. It can be bought here http://www.octosys.co.uk/spcl.html for a fiver!!!

Still Ill keep looking round the web for it though :)

Big-Byte 04 July 2002 14:20

FOUND IT!!! (I hope)

Zarch is at the bottom of this page

http://ftp.actrix.co.nz/historical/archimedes/games/

Alternatively, get it from the Zone..

If anyone knows what to do to get it to run in an emu I would be interested!!

Tommo 04 July 2002 15:02

That copy of Zarch is a patch to run the original in a window.

Zarch was sold as a commercial game, it was Lander that came free with the Archie.

sarek2k 04 July 2002 16:14

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like something i seen before???

ps/2 thats it. Was this the developer version? :)

Amiga1992 04 July 2002 19:28

Quote:

Originally posted by Ian
Hmm, attached ad, written with the M$ invisable ink fontset is it;)
And it was Retroman who said about the software;) (I agree completely though:))

Heh, I was all sleepy! I didnt attach the thing and confused names.

I didnt even scan the ad! :P I'll post it later.

Ian 04 July 2002 19:30

No excuses Akira, you simply must do better:p

Hehe, of course I'm only joking, scan it when you have a bit of free time:)

Amiga1992 05 July 2002 03:43

Free concious time you mean! :D Most of the time these days I'm liek a zombie.

Amiga1992 05 July 2002 05:39

1 Attachment(s)
Alrighth alright, here's the ad, to corrupt even more this thread that once was about the Archimedes!

Falcon - more bang for the buck. But no software to run on it!

MOS-6581 05 July 2002 22:36

I've got an ad for the Falcon from Silica (A computer store in the UK) it's pretty good with a full spec list, but it's a bit large to post on the forum I think. If anyone is interested I can try and post it. Silica was one of the best supporters of Atari and Commodore god bless 'em! They made great catalogues of Amiga stuff, I still got loads to scan... :)

Ian 05 July 2002 23:10

Why don't you zip it and put it in the zone;)

MOS-6581 05 July 2002 23:41

Ok, it's in the zone. Get it here :

**No direct links to the zone**

Enjoy :D

Charlie 22 July 2007 01:43

*Bump*
Lost Comuters:
A topic worth resurrecting?

Adropac2 22 July 2007 02:38

I loved my Archi 3000 running with the arm3 .Damn it was fast as the Zarch game proved - written in basic(still preferred the Amiga version as it seemed more alive).Risc technology was fabulously advanced back then and had the machine sold more and gotten more company support , it could have been unstoppable.Elite was cool for Archi and Chocks Away was rather fun.

It replaced the BBC in many of the schools but was superceded by pc - not something back then anyone could have predicted i imagine.

I got rid of mine after about 2 or 3 years in 1995 as there wasn't much point having it in light of PC's and because i already had the Amiga(always had an Amiga mind).I was sad to see it go because it was always a dream of mine to own one but it made sense in the end.

Good memories much like all the machines you own i guess.

blade002 22 July 2007 14:57

Yeah the old Archie certainly was more powerful than the Amiga back then, and i remember ACE magazine mentioning it MANY times, so im no stranger to it. Actually there is an Amiga game review in an ACE issue i have here someone, and i think it may be a review of Rotox or Rotor !?.. and it mentions how pretty much in a nutshell that it would be pummeling the Amiga into the ground through its superior chipset if it were taken more seriously as a games machine and also with a bigger market.

Who knows!?.. if it were in the same price point as the Amiga back then, perhaps i would have chosen it instead, but that RISC chip really pushed up that price.

Charlie 22 July 2007 16:21

Ah, if only:
@ the time I believe the A3000 was a better machine than the equivalent Amigas. ( gasp! )

The hardware did more as a result of ARM brute-force.
( Made Amiga game ports easy )
The OS was(is) well designed & was much nicer than the AOS of the time.
( Compare WB 1.3 & 2.04 with RiscOS 2 & 3.1 screenshots + apps )

If only it was all backed-up with a chipset as cleaver as the Amiga one...
( and of course better management! - how familiar is that? )

That's why my computing past is firmly Acorn & not Amiga.

So why am I posting on the EAB?

It's interesting what time proves:
AmigaOS was(is) a work of genius. It's architecture remains ever-green, coherent, expandable, useable, despite years of neglect.

RiscOS is also very good ( especially the interface ) but time has revealed it to be more of a workman-like job that has kept up by dint of continuous ( slow ) development.

FWIW:
I bumped the thread because I like the 'lost computers' thread idea.
The one I know best ( Acorn ) has already been well covered.
Any takers for a Sharp x68000 write-up?
( The best system never to be seen outside Japan? )

Rebel-CD32 23 July 2007 07:14

I have an Acorn RiscPC 600 ARM610 33Mhz. Acorns are the computers that my school used from grade 7 til 10, then in year 11 they brought in PCs...

So I brought in my A1200. The Acorns were really good, very solid system, but the Amiga is way better. :)