English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Contest (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Amiga Game Development Contest - Results (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97066)

MikeyG 15 April 2019 00:59

Amiga Game Development Contest - Results

It is with great pleasure that the judges can unanimously announce our winner for the first ever EAB Amiga Game Development Contest!

On behalf of all the judges it is great to see such great work submitted in these entries with only 6 months in which to develop them. It has been a difficult decision to choose a winner.

The runners up should be very proud of their achievements. It’s great to see games of a high standard for the Amiga still being created in 2019.

All games were a pleasure to play and they are still being improved after the end of the competition, we welcome everyone to play them all, exclusive on the Amiga!

So, without further adieu, here are the results:
Out of a potential 60 points.

1st place goes to Rygar AGA with 48.2 points
2nd place to Aminer with 42.1 points
3rd place to Modsurfer with 37.8 points
4th place to All Valley Karate Championship with 37.6 points
5th place to Warpgate with 30.1 points

Congratulations to the Rygar AGA team on winning the competition. An excellent game! Well done!

DamienD will be contacting the contestants regards prizes soon.

Here are some comments for each of the games from us the judges:

Rygar AGA
Excellent graphics and sound very akin to the arcade original.
"Looks, sounds and feels pretty genuine. I had the Lynx-port back in the day (the only Atari hardware I ever owned) - this Arcade conversion seems between 16 and 64 times better.
Enemy respawns should be revised. The play field quickly gets swamped where as playing the arcade I didn’t feel this was as crowded.
I really hope the joystick management/handling will be greatly improved to suppress the latency

Aminer
Good graphics, with some nice details. Fast and intuitive. Interesting concept.
Overall great little game. I like the graphics and style. I think sound could easily be improved and make this game better.
A little more variation in playability and overall polish would be nice.
Sad there is no AI for 1 player challenge game.

Modsurfer
Nice game concept.
Fast and furious. Good GUI.
Its a nice spin on enjoying your mod music collection and working to get them sounding just right.
Depending on the chosen module, this games can make people sick

All Valley Karate Championship
Good graphics, nice presentation
Really appreciate that the characters look like the characters in the movie.
Nice game but merit more polish like an updated opponent board and/or various backgrounds as seen on the movie (for example: beach, dojo, street, parking, miyagi's garden, etc.)
Look at possible hit collision issues and increasing the difficulty

Warpgate
Overall a nice puzzler that I can see alot of potential in.
With more work on the graphics and more levels I can see this being a very good amiga puzzler and one I’d like to play in the future.
Quite fun and could be turned into a very good Amiga puzzler.
Some compatibility issues with various amiga setups.

EAB Contest Judges:
Graham Humphrey, John4p, Linesmachine, Malko, MikeyG, PortuguesePilot

DamienD 15 April 2019 00:59

Congratulations to the 3 winning entries :great

Guys, please PM me your PayPal account details so that I can transfer the prize money over ;)

malko 15 April 2019 01:08

:great

Nightshft 15 April 2019 02:08

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to everybody taking part! :):great

arcanist 15 April 2019 05:13

:bowdown

I registered for 3rd place so I'm glad the game made it. :laughing

I had a lot of fun learning to program the hardware! As a young lad all I could do was OS friendly programming. Couldn't track down the darned Hardware Reference Manual. Thanks to the wonders of Amazon I've now got a nice copy on my desk.

No time for rest, though, I've already resumed work on my synthesizer. This baby's going to power the music in a 4KB intro. Hoping for 3rd place. :D

Gzegzolka 15 April 2019 05:59

Congrats to winners :)

KaiN 15 April 2019 08:10

WAT. We were counting on getting 4th place, this is well beyond our expectations. Thanks guys! :D

Now we really have to finish this game... I've never thought about AI for challenge mode, will do!

Predseda 15 April 2019 08:18

Thank all the involved, contributors and even judges and congratulations to winners. Keep the games coming, I love you.

LONG LIVE AMIGA!

demoniac 15 April 2019 08:24

Thanks to all the participants (including judges and moderators). Congrats to the winners.

softiron 15 April 2019 10:41

oh boy... this came unexpected...
as KaiN said we were not counting on anything above 4th place.
still lots of work with this one for us.

Thank you all for appreciation for this game.

mcgeezer 15 April 2019 11:19

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement as getting first place is a real achievement for me. I only rejoined the scene 2 years ago and I've been having a great time ever since - I love coding and have made numerous new friends along the way with similar interests.

I just want to to say thanks to everyone who participated in the compo, from the other entries, to the judges and to especially Damien who kept the thing steering in the right direction.

I promise I'll make Rygar the best game I can, there's still a lot of work to be done but all the main parts are done... I would say I'm in the polishing stage.

Geezer

JuanLuis 15 April 2019 11:37

Congratulations to winners and all participants for their efforts. This year has been a good year for Amiga game development.

roondar 15 April 2019 12:22

Congratulations to all the winners!

It's good to see Amiga software thriving :)

ross 15 April 2019 12:54

Congratulation to the winner, to the others on the podium and to all the participants!

(and to those who made the donations and to the judges :))

:great

Asman 15 April 2019 13:21

Congrats for all. + what ross said + what roondar said.

malko 15 April 2019 13:59

All participants can be proud of their work.
But should not forget to take into account the comments (to improve the less positive ones).
Now it's party and champagne time! ;) :great

Alpha One 15 April 2019 14:16

Congratulations to the winners and all the others who were involved in this wonderful competition.

jojo073 15 April 2019 18:40

DamienD 15 April 2019 19:09

Come on jojo073; no need to be a sore looser and write the above.

The judges decided which entries won dependant on many different categories / criteria.

Unfortunately you just missed out on the 3rd place position by a small margin.

john4p 15 April 2019 19:28

Tough luck for jojo being only 0.2 pts behind 3rd place.

Congratz to the winners! :great

@MikeyG: Thanks for the well written text.