English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   implement others 68000 machines ? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89546)

turrican3 21 November 2017 08:15

implement others 68000 machines ?

My question is simple,
Isaw Tony implementing so much things, new cards, etc...
Could he extend the emulation from winuae to others 68000 computers ??
I thin about CDI, atari st, mac and so on.
Could it be a possibility one day to introduce more 68000 machines ?
I thought about cdi, atari st and mac, because they don't have good emulator on windows, they are far from my point of view as good than winuae.
It was just for talking because i know that you still have many projects for the amiga but one day winuae could it be the basis of a new emulator or could winuae become a 68ks emulator ??

nobody 21 November 2017 08:48

What is next, add a window with weather forecast ?

drHirudo 21 November 2017 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 1201068)
My question is simple,
Isaw Tony implementing so much things, new cards, etc...
Could he extend the emulation from winuae to others 68000 computers ??
I thin about CDI, atari st, mac and so on.
Could it be a possibility one day to introduce more 68000 machines ?
I thought about cdi, atari st and mac, because they don't have good emulator on windows, they are far from my point of view as good than winuae.
It was just for talking because i know that you still have many projects for the amiga but one day winuae could it be the basis of a new emulator or could winuae become a 68ks emulator ??

You can try ShapeShifter or Fusion on WinUAE. I guess it may perform better than some of the Mac emulators out there. After all there was never 68060 based Macintosh, but there is 68060 ShapeShifted Amiga. Also FusionPPC may work with the PPC emulation. Haven't tried, can't confirm.

DamienD 21 November 2017 10:31

Crazy thread turrican3 :crazy

WinUAE is an Amiga emulator and that's where Toni's expertise / knowledge is.

Do you really think he has the time to learn all other complex systems?

Besides, there are already good emualtors out there for all other systems you've mentioned so.

turrican3 21 November 2017 12:16

Damien , i will be happy to hear the names ???
drHirudo, I tried shapeshifter but the sound is choppy, i will give a chance to fusion one of this days.
The emulator available are far to be as good like winuae.
I just wanted to know if one day the winuae core could be utilized for emulating an another 68k machine.
I know that Toni has others things more important to do for the moment.
If you prefere : like Toni gave access to the winuae source code (i think), is it possible from that to make
a mac or a cdi emulator ?? For the amiga ppc part he took it from elswhere.

DamienD 21 November 2017 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by turrican3 (Post 1201103)
Damien , i will be happy to hear the names ???

I don't have time, Google is your friend as always ;)

meynaf 21 November 2017 12:24

I'm afraid he is true at least for Atari ST. No good enough emu out there.

Crazy thread ? Probably :nuts

But not as crazy as it looks. Integrating into winuae probably not, but technically it's not totally insane to want to write something out of it, even though i highly doubt winuae is modular enough for its components to be reused for another emulator.

alexh 21 November 2017 12:33

Hatari which is an Atari ST emulator uses the WinUAE 680x0 CPU core.

I'm sure emulators of other 680x0 based computers do also.

Isn't that enough?

Locutus 21 November 2017 12:39

Jup, thats the main area of overlap and Previous, Basilisk and Hatari all use WinUAE's CPU emulation code.

meynaf 21 November 2017 13:01

Yeah, Winuae's cpu core... from an OLD version of Winuae.

Locutus 21 November 2017 13:04

That depends, Hatari and Previous use the newer MMU code. Dont ask me where they split of and how code flows back etc, i dont read everyones git commit logs for shit 'n giggles :-D

meynaf 21 November 2017 13:31

Anyway i've had problems with all ST emulators i've tried. There is always something that doesn't work. Probably not cpu related so using even the latest 68k emu wouldn't change a thing i guess...

StingRay 21 November 2017 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1201121)
Anyway i've had problems with all ST emulators i've tried. There is always something that doesn't work.

Which ST emulators did you try? I can run almost anything using either STeem, SainT or Hatari. Often the TOS/memory config is the cause of problems and not the emulator itself.

meynaf 21 November 2017 14:05

Tried with STeem and Hatari. Yes they can run almost anything.
But STeem has problems with the mouse (which makes erratic moves) and can't use SPS raw disk images, while Hatari fails running some games that were ok on my STE (but use dirty copy protection).
TOS/memory can't be the problem, as I use the exact same config and rom that my STE had.

alexh 21 November 2017 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1201127)
Hatari fails running some games that were ok on my STE (but use dirty copy protection)

There were a few STE bugs in last official Hatari 2.0 release from 12 months ago.

But you could try the 2.x dev build from the latest head of the mercurial repository.

Windows and linux builds are being made all the time on their continuous integration server:

http://antarctica.no/~hatari/

meynaf 21 November 2017 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1201136)
There were a few STE bugs in last official Hatari 2.0 release from 12 months ago.

But you could try the 2.x dev build from the latest head of the mercurial repository.

Windows and linux builds are being made all the time on their continuous integration server:

http://antarctica.no/~hatari/

This isn't STE specific problems.
Nevertheless i've just tried the latest build. And alas, it still fails...

Amiga1992 21 November 2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1201087)
Crazy thread turrican3 :crazy

I'd have to say, from all his inane suggestions, this is probably up top.

If you want a all-in-one solution, go use MESS.

Locutus 21 November 2017 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by meynaf (Post 1201140)
This isn't STE specific problems.
Nevertheless i've just tried the latest build. And alas, it still fails...

If it still fails and matters to you, why not shoot a quick email to the hatari dev mailinglist with a defect description and reproduction?

meynaf 21 November 2017 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locutus (Post 1201160)
If it still fails and matters to you, why not shoot a quick email to the hatari dev mailinglist with a defect description and reproduction?

Why not, indeed.

Toni Wilen 21 November 2017 19:45

No.

Hatari uses latest WinUAE CPU core.