English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Space bar on A1200 is dead. Do i need a new keyboard? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84566)

mrbob2 23 October 2016 13:32

Space bar on A1200 is dead. Do i need a new keyboard?

hey guys

after opening my case to find out why my a1200 wouldnt turn on it eventually sprang back to life.

unfortunately now the space bar doesnt work.

i pulled out and checked the ribbon that goes into the white box which sits on the motherboard and cleaned it with a hanky.

looks clean and no damage but spacebar wont work. all other keys are fine

ive read about cutting the ribbon to create a fresh set of tracks? scares me to think i might do more damage lol

would it be easier to just buy a new keyboard and do you know any reputable sellers on ebay for this sort of thing?

thanks for any help

idrougge 23 October 2016 16:50

Could be that the pads on the keyboard membrane is just worn out.

Try to dismantle the keyboard, clean the contact for the space bar (both the fork-like rubber thing below the key and the black pad on the membrane, then draw on the pad using a pencil.

Retrofan 23 October 2016 18:24

And I wouldn't try to cut the membrane, it has never worked right for me.

Akira 24 October 2016 17:51

I never had to do the membrane cutting to a 1200. If ONLY the space bar is bad, it probably has to do with that key's pad on the membrane and not with the contacts on the connector (I don't think the space bar is on its own data line but I could be wrong). Try what idrougge suggests, otherwise I'd get a new membrane.

mrbob2 24 October 2016 18:05

thanks guys, il give it a go and try and clean it up

ive seen a replacement keyboard on ebay for around £25

or i could spend another £50 and get an entire working a1200 lol

so we shall see...

Akira 24 October 2016 18:15

You only need the membrane, not the whole keyboard.

IanP 26 October 2016 10:39

The space bar is a matrixed key not an individually addressed so if it's the only key not working the problem is with the contact at the switch and not the ribbon cable. The space bar takes a bashing and this wear and tear makes it more likely to fail so try cleaning the membrane and swap the key plunger with one that isn't so important e.g. one from the numeric keypad.

mrbob2 26 October 2016 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanP (Post 1118789)
The space bar is a matrixed key not an individually addressed so if it's the only key not working the problem is with the contact at the switch and not the ribbon cable. The space bar takes a bashing and this wear and tear makes it more likely to fail so try cleaning the membrane and swap the key plunger with one that isn't so important e.g. one from the numeric keypad.

thanks. i have nothing to loose by having a play and your explanation gives me confindence it can be repaired :)

Nobby_UK 27 October 2016 01:22

The 'S' key on my 600 suddenly stopped working
So I popped it off and now it works --- weird ?!?!