English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Retrogaming General Discussion (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hipoonios longplays (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78380)

hipoonios 29 May 2015 23:58

Hipoonios longplays

I have thought to create a thread about my longplay videos for a long time now. I have seen many others created threads about their Youtube videos, so why not me too? ;)

I have recorded these longplays (playthroughs) for about ten years now. I remember i was the one who uploaded the very first longplay to Youtube back in 2006 :) And now ten years later have i played through more than 600 Amiga games! Which I'm very proud of :cool

After closed down Recorded Amiga Games for two years ago have i continued make longplay videos. But only for my own Youtube channel. By looking at the number of views my videos gets. so believe not many people know about it. That's one of the reasons to why i wanted to create this thread. The second is to tell you with games i have recorded every month. And the third, let people make requests of games they want to be played through. I play almost exclusively only Amiga games and ALL the games i playing have not been played through before. That means, I never play games that already have been longplayed before. So before you request, search youtube to check if there are not a longplay already.

I have saved the source of all my videos. So one day will a put a website up so they can be downloaded to.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hipoonios/videos

vulture 30 May 2015 00:20

thx man, highly appreciated!

gimbal 30 May 2015 00:24

Shamefully I hadn't even considered to look for a youtube channel after crying for a long time that thesitewiththenamethatistoolong.org.gov.biz.ru was shut down. I loved that site in all its quirkiness. Heck, I still have the last video I downloaded from it just as a treasured memory. SUB!

Shamefully? Stupidly actually. I see the Claw is also still at it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ironclaw007

Somehow it just feels morally wrong to subscribe to that channel. I feel like when I do that, a pony dies.

hipoonios 30 May 2015 00:27

As you can see, I have been very active recently. Listing here what I have recorded this year so far:

January:
  1. Boxx 2
  2. Super Orange Man
  3. Shop 'Til You Drop

February:
  1. Battle Eggs
  2. Galactic Food Fight
  3. Mikiko's Haicuchi
  4. Animal Land
  5. Mission
  6. Fred the Frog
  7. The Betrayal
  8. Warlock's Quest
  9. Sir Losealot
  10. Scum Haters

Mars:
  1. Top Tilers
  2. The Muhtar
  3. Mr. Brick
  4. Obstickle
  5. Somewhere in Time
  6. Star Plop
  7. Super Kikstart
  8. Spitfire Assault
  9. Wheelbarrow Simulator
  10. Aero-Die-Namik
  11. Sound the Space Cadet
  12. Feeding Frenzy
  13. Amos Defence
  14. Spectrum
  15. Fruit Salad
  16. Fireblaster
  17. Intense - Sector One Reborn
  18. Intense - Sector One Reborn Again
  19. Lamerbug
  20. Quackers
  21. Chronic the Hodge Heg
  22. Eric Watch your Step
  23. Glodrick in the Star Theif
  24. Macus
  25. Quasi
  26. Overlander
  27. Bart Vs the Whacked Out Space Zombi Makers
  28. Jumpin' Jack
  29. Demons Breach
  30. BUG!
  31. Vampalle
  32. Lunar Patrol

April:
  1. Jay the Miner
  2. Scramble
  3. Scramble (Another game)
  4. The Tomb of Mummy
  5. Skidz
  6. Turbo Jam
  7. Temple of the Enlightened Souls
  8. Legend of the Lost
  9. Alien Bounce
  10. Seawolf U-311
  11. Tony's Glider Game
  12. Boinng!
  13. Cave Master
  14. Rox
  15. Blue Boy
  16. Ghost Runner
  17. Bierschen
  18. Rubber
  19. Cosmic Racer
  20. Fals Bike The Right Bike
  21. Blip 'n Blop - The Mario Hunters
  22. Emotional Conflict
  23. Floaty
  24. Ace the Space Case

Bugala 30 May 2015 00:34

Thanks from those videos.

It is not so much that people dont know about those longplay videos, but rather they havent been knowing a handy place from where to see them all.

For example I had seen some of your longplay videos (like had seen some others as well) in youtube, but only recently realised to click on your name and "videos" tag to see them all. I have now checked some of your more recent videos, especially the most recent one (or at least was most recent when i last checked) where you were looking for that treasure by giving cordinates was quite amusing and tells about how thorough you are in playing all the Amiga games when you play even something like that.
And I have to say, I have not wanted to take the trouble of first getting that game and then play it, but I did enjoy watching it on your longplay. It was actually surprisingly good looking game for such a simple concept (but that still doesnt make it good game).

Since you made longplay of my Help My Cat! game, I would also like to give you suggestion for new kind of longplay video (which should be given different name than longplay i think).

For one thing I have noticed that helps a lot is when you see someone else play your game for first time. Especially when the game is adventure puzzle solving kind.

As example, I always thought that wooden board piece puzzle was simply idiotically easy, and also that there is absolutely no mistaking that it is a board. I never even thought anyone could think it as something else as a piece of board. But when i have watched two friends play that game, neither of them got it. They were both wondering what is that brown thing, and that really amazes me. But things like that are important to know for future developments.

Without having seen those two friends play it, if i would do similar wood board puzzle in other game, i would be repeating the same mistake by assuming it being the clearest graphics possible and simplest puzzle ever. Now i know different.

Hence. I think it would be greatly helpful if you would also make videos of new Amiga games being released, where you play them for first time and try to figure out how to play that game in the first place. Even better if you would even comment about your thoughts along the way.

That would really help finding out what is clear to people about that game, and what was hard to figure out. As example from Help My Cat!, sure, I did mention it in that title screen (which is text only) that use "jump" - button on trampolin, but yet it took a while for other tester friend to figure that out, which shows that just in title screen mentioning those controls, are not clear enough yet.

Also, when i tried with friends, the attitude wasnt same as yours. I know that when you play, you are much closer to average player than those friends in attitude difference.

To get back to that title screen instruction. Both friends attitude was bit in way of "A friends game, well, lets give it a try". It is done with high interest, but still bit half hearted. While i can imagine when you start the game, your attitude is "I want to play a game. Im going to try this new game", and i believe the latter one will be reading instructions better. So maybe that jump thing is nothing to worry about actually.

But all in all. I believe many recent freeware (and why not commercial ones too) would be very happy from videos like that and they would help a mile to figure out how to make future games better and what worked and what didnt, were controls easy to figure out, or was there something specific that would have needed to be instructed differently, etc.

Buy the way, when I clicked on that "videos" tab on youtube on your page/channel (whatever that is called) i was surprised how often you make those videos. I thought you make infrequently at average once a month, but you might actually make them several in a week!

Thanks from all your effort, and keep it up!

While there are many a game I wish to replay myself, some of the games I only wish to see, and these longplays are great for that. I perhaps just want to remind myself of some specific part of the game, and with your (and others) longplays, i can do just that.

s2325 30 May 2015 01:03

few longplay propositions
Gate 2 Freedom http://hol.abime.net/2702
Gulp http://hol.abime.net/2807
Zone Warrior http://hol.abime.net/1632
Humans 3 http://hol.abime.net/760
Steg the Slug http://hol.abime.net/2117

Mrs Beanbag 30 May 2015 01:05

might as well do PuzCat since you completed it already!

hipoonios 01 June 2015 19:26

The month of May was yet another successful month. 29 playthroughs recorded! ;)

And as usual, only Amiga and all new (newer longplayed by someone else before).

1. Star Boy
  2. Spitting Images
  3. Crazy Cones
  4. Cave Flight
  5. Hamburger Heaven
  6. Castle Warrior
  7. LemmingsLevel
  8. CyberDroid
  9. Last Lap
  10. It's the Pits!
  11. Pssst
  12. Super Bluekid
  13. Amazed
  14. Ork Attack
  15. Dithell In Space
  16. Spidertronic
  17. Two to One
  18. Cybernauts
  19. Help my Cat!
  20. BMX Simulator
  21. Battle Bound
  22. Rally Cross Challenge
  23. Brands Hatch
  24. Treasure Search
  25. PuzCat
  26. Fat Man
  27. Cyborg Crisis
  28. Cybernoid II: The Revenge
  29. American Tag Team Wrestling

Mrs Beanbag 01 June 2015 22:31

wow Cyborg Crisis looks like Night Stalker on the Intellivision

Thank you for doing PuzCat!

Akira 01 June 2015 23:14

I'm glad you're still around man, really appreciate your uploads, I have always been fascinated by the world of PD games and there's so much to cover! Your channel is a perfect "gateway drug" into that world ;) Keep it up!

amiman99 02 June 2015 06:22

Thanks for playing my game (Marco...)! @hipoonios

Bamiga2002 02 June 2015 15:13

Nice videos there! But you cheated on BMX Simulator ;)

Sandro 02 June 2015 16:38

jesuschrist what a bunch of horrible games
I do not even waste 1 min in my life playing that

hipoonios 02 June 2015 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1022496)
Shamefully I hadn't even considered to look for a youtube channel after crying for a long time that thesitewiththenamethatistoolong.org.gov.biz.ru was shut down. I loved that site in all its quirkiness. Heck, I still have the last video I downloaded from it just as a treasured memory. SUB!

Shamefully? Stupidly actually. I see the Claw is also still at it:

Somehow it just feels morally wrong to subscribe to that channel. I feel like when I do that, a pony dies.

Ha Ha, don't SUB to his channel! He sucks :) He mostly recording old games that have been recorded so many times before and reupload his old crap. And the worst of it all. He also submit all his videos to the World of Longlays. I asked him why the hell he can be so stupid to do that. He said, he don't have motivation to create Amiga videos if nobody watch or comment his videos. Their channel is a lot popular of his own, so they getting more views there :nuts

Now i know he will read this, so i must say something good about his videos too. His videos are good quality (HD, cropped, etc) and SOMETIMES he is recording new stuff.

Thanks for subbing to me :)

hipoonios 02 June 2015 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag (Post 1022994)
wow Cyborg Crisis looks like Night Stalker on the Intellivision

Thank you for doing PuzCat!

No problem! Really enjoyed playing it. Could be even better with more levels, and in-game music etc of course :)

hipoonios 02 June 2015 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiman99 (Post 1023034)
Thanks for playing my game (Marco...)! @hipoonios

Thanks mate, Marco is the without doubt the best Amiga game created with Backbone. I know Tales of Gorluth is also good. But never liked Zelda/top down games very much.

hipoonios 02 June 2015 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1023003)
I'm glad you're still around man, really appreciate your uploads, I have always been fascinated by the world of PD games and there's so much to cover! Your channel is a perfect "gateway drug" into that world ;) Keep it up!

Thanks!

Nice to hear that someone more than myself enjoying PD games. And there are not many people who record PD games so many people do not know about them. HOL missing a lot of good PD games I have played. I think many of them is worth to be added to the database.

hipoonios 02 June 2015 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandro (Post 1023134)
jesuschrist what a bunch of horrible games
I do not even waste 1 min in my life playing that

Did you check them all? Some of them are pretty good, and not all of them are PD. I have played about 70% PD games this year because that's the category that have not been covered yet. I'm more than happy that not many recording them. Because i like them :)

hipoonios 02 June 2015 20:12

Maybe i should put all my replies into one post instead? :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 (Post 1023110)
Nice videos there! But you cheated on BMX Simulator ;)

I never use trainers or cheatcodes when I play games. Instead, I practice a lot, before I start recording a game. However, I use savestates. And BMX Simulator is one of the games there i used them frequently :D (said that in my video comment).

Mrs Beanbag 02 June 2015 20:16

btw a while back you got ten minutes into Mr Beanbag and seemed to conclude that level doesn't have an exit... well it does and you nearly found it, but got jumping around instead and ended up going backwards round one of the level's other routes... bad level design on our part, i apologise. But if you only just sit on the raft the water level raises it up to the top!