English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Tom Kirks PS2 Amiga/Atari adapter (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=64054)

kipper2k 25 April 2012 17:25

Tom Kirks PS2 Amiga/Atari adapter

Hi All,

i am debating on whether to make a batch of PS2 controller adapter boards for the Amiga/atari.

Basically it will be a plug in adapter that you just plug in the PS2 controller and the computer. I have tried to get hold of Paul Willingham for more chips but cant get hold of him.

Tom Kirk has code available that i hope to use with his permission so if he allows it and interest is there i will make some. Below are the basic specs of his code....

Enables a Playstation 2 Dualshock controller to be used on an Atari or Amiga computer.

Direction can be controlled either by the digital pad or the left analog stick.

Two fire buttons for computers or consoles that support them.

Autofire mode on both fire buttons, for saving your fingers.

Atari or Amiga mouse mode. Saves having to swap between mouse and joystick when playing 2 player games on the ST.

Mouse direction is controlled by the left analog stick and is proportional to give fine control over the mouse pointer.

LEDs to indicate currently selected mode.

Remembers last used mode when powered down.

If there is interest i will make some

DonAmiga 25 April 2012 17:31

I'd be interested in one :great

Riempie 25 April 2012 17:50

Me too!

voyager 25 April 2012 18:58

count me in.

prabmire 25 April 2012 19:20

Count me in! where were you when i needed a cd32 controller (sold the machine and have a modded 1200 now!)

janikosk 25 April 2012 19:37

Count me in. :spin

johnim 25 April 2012 20:03

id be intrested too

prowler 25 April 2012 23:10

Me too! :)

kipper2k 25 April 2012 23:29

k,

I will make some up, they should look identical to the previous ones i done up (with Pauls code) with the 9 pin connector on one end and the PS2 connector on the other end that the PS2 controller plugs into.

I have already done up the schematic and board layout so all i need to do now is get permission to use Toms code and find my soic IC adapter for my programmer, order boards and i'll be set... probably looking at 4 weeks, dont quote me though :)

I am trying to find a way to get a connector for the A600 so the wings of the 9 pin connector doesnt get in the way. Worst case scenario, either a short extension cable without wings or a simple little bridge board i could create for about $2

BTW, costs for this adapter should be about $16 - $20 dependant on parts availability, price breaks etc

kipper2k 27 April 2012 01:12

Hi All, Good News,

Tom Kirk has given me permission to use his code so i will be making the psx adapter cables. I just made my prototype and it works great, a very tight fit, it fits in the same cable as the previous psx cable i made. (I'll post a pic of it when i find the link). I have enough parts on hand to make 6 so i'll go through the list in chronological order and i am ordering more parts so if you miss out there will be more.

heres the picture of what it will look like...

http://www.kipper2k.com/psx/psxa.jpg

For those that want to see Toms webpage and other info here's the link.

http://tgkirk.110mb.com/

adolescent 27 April 2012 04:33

I'm interested in one also as long as it's in the $20 range.

DonAmiga 27 April 2012 08:51

Good news indeed :great cheers kipper2k

Bamiga2002 27 April 2012 08:56

Interested indeed :agree

Etze 27 April 2012 09:09

Cool, I'm very interested, too. (With the extension for A600 as mentioned below).

Allen1 27 April 2012 09:13

I would like one of these too :great

darkwave 27 April 2012 09:52

Exceedingly interested.

alexh 27 April 2012 11:51

I'd be interested... but can you get some 9-pin D connectors without wings so that they would physically work with A600 & Atari ST?? The one in the photo with the screws either side are too big for A600.

I guess I can always use an extender cable.

kipper2k 27 April 2012 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 814998)
I'd be interested... but can you get some 9-pin D connectors without wings so that they would physically work with A600 & Atari ST?? The one in the photo with the screws either side are too big for A600.

I guess I can always use an extender cable.

Hi Alexh

I will be able to make a small extension board that uses a 9 pin connector with the wings removed, it would cost about $2.00 and would be about 1' long for those people that want it. it would be a full 9 pin passthrough so it can be used anywhere. If it needs to be longer than an inch i can design it to be longer. let me know if it needs to be longer.

crazyc 11 May 2012 11:07

I would be really interested in this - just getting back into the Amiga and having issues with old joysticks - but have some PS2 controllers around.

seb132 12 May 2012 02:21

I'd like to buy two of these on my side, if ever chance comes again. :bowdown