English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   New to Emulation or Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Problem with 2 discs games ?? How do i get them to work? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=18694)

matrixsc 21 May 2005 12:21

Problem with 2 discs games ?? How do i get them to work?

Hi all
Not sure where to ask this question so i posted it in here hopes that alright?

Anyway i have downloaded WinUAE and tried to boot up a game alien breed ( 2 discs adz )
I can get the first disc to load then it asks for discs 2 when i point it to disc 2 it doesn't seem to load. I've set up the adz files to boot up right i think. Disc1 in drive 1 and disc 2 in drive 2 but stil no luck.
What am i doing wrong and how can i get this to work???

Boulder 21 May 2005 12:42

Maybe the game uses only the first disc drive? Thus, input the disc in DF0:

matrixsc 21 May 2005 12:59

Have tried that on alien breed (1).adz and alien breed (2).adz. And to make sure it wasn't just that game i've got the same problem on opwolf1.adz opwolf2.adz.

Can't work out whats wrong at all.:confused

Boulder 21 May 2005 13:07

Have you tried games that are not gzipped (as .adf)? Just to make sure the compression isn't the problem, I've never used .adz files myself.

matrixsc 21 May 2005 13:33

Sorry mate i don't understand what you mean?

Boulder 21 May 2005 13:45

Do you have any adf images instead of adz ones? The adz ones are compressed with gzip AFAIK, adf is uncompressed. I just wanted to check whether an uncompressed image causes the same problem as well.

Amiga1992 21 May 2005 19:48

MOved the thread to the proper forum

matrixsc 21 May 2005 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulder
Do you have any adf images instead of adz ones? The adz ones are compressed with gzip AFAIK, adf is uncompressed. I just wanted to check whether an uncompressed image causes the same problem as well.

No i have loads of just adz images and nothing else.

Any more ideas??

Thanks

matrixsc 21 May 2005 20:51

Wierd cause i've just got it to load at last on 2 discs. But now i've tried again i can't seem to get it to load.
I loaded the 2nd disc by pressing F12 and selected the 2nd disc. Then after that i'm not sure what i pressed on the keypad as i hit a few keys at once and it worked?

Any ideas??

Thanks so far people.

Chuckles 21 May 2005 23:39

Many games that came on 2 or more disks could not use any drive other than DF0:, so for those you have to swap disks in that drive when they are called for. Alien Breed is one that requires you to do that. When it asks for disk 2, you bring up the GUI with F12, eject disk 1, insert disk 2 and return to the emulation. In some cases the game will notice that you've inserted the disk and will continue, but in many cases you have to press a joystick button, a mouse button, the space bar or something like that before it will continue. Alien Breed waits for a joystick button press, which if you're using a gamepad instead of a joystick means pressing whichever button on the gamepad is mapped to the joystick's "fire" button.

As for the adz vs. adf files, there isn't any reason why an adz would work for disk 1, but not for disk 2 other than the file itself being corrupt. But if the adz file of disk 1 begins loading the game, then it should be able to decompress any of the other disks too when they are needed.

matrixsc 22 May 2005 10:17

Think thats what the problem is , that i don't know whatthe fire buttton is to hit to get it to boot that disc up. So i'm hitting random keys. :(

Boulder 22 May 2005 10:19

It depends on the defined keyboard layout. You can see the keys in WinUAE properties, Host->Game & I/O Ports. Hold the pointer over the selected layout for port 1 and a tooltip will tell you the correct keys.

matrixsc 22 May 2005 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulder
It depends on the defined keyboard layout. You can see the keys in WinUAE properties, Host->Game & I/O Ports. Hold the pointer over the selected layout for port 1 and a tooltip will tell you the correct keys.

Thank you very much all for your help. I needed to press the 0 or 5 key on the number pad. Those are the fire key so i could tell it to load the 2nd disc.

Hours of fun coming up now to relive my youth :P

Thanks again to everyone thats posted here and helped me out.

kriz 22 May 2005 23:38

enable the floppy sounds for total experience :)

cyclone 16 June 2005 18:18

just by reading this i learnt about the f12 key thanx all