English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. Releases (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   NXEngine (Cave Story) WarpOS (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=95264)

grelbfarlk 27 November 2018 01:03

NXEngine (Cave Story) WarpOS

No workey, endian issue.

*EDIT FIVE*
This seems to launch but I compiled with SDL_Mixer support, so it needs the .xm music and the timidity instruments. After setting TIMIDITY_CFG=locationofyourtimidity.cfg music works.

Yeah, so the sound is all messed up. Nevermind. Mods, please delete thread. :agree

arti 27 November 2018 09:06

Booo ;)

grelbfarlk 27 November 2018 13:32

Honestly and no one take this the wrong way, I broke my rule about porting something for no reason. If there is already a 68k port that runs well, then it's a waste of time and serves no purpose. If there was SOME reason for this to exist then, maybe.

AMIGASYSTEM 27 November 2018 13:43

Thanks to Arti the 68k version exists and works well (on aminet there is also a second previous version)

https://youtu.be/5JFLQje1y6I

nexus 27 November 2018 18:22

from what i see there is a reason due to not playing full speed on 68k

jurassicman 27 November 2018 19:21

@grelbfarlk
Probably a warpos version would run faster... if you are able to port it... why not? :)

grelbfarlk 28 November 2018 01:04

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... I guess. Music seems to work on this version ok but the extractor doesn't like my datafiles, I guess. Don't know.

AMIGASYSTEM 28 November 2018 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nexus (Post 1287523)
from what i see there is a reason due to not playing full speed on 68k

The 68k game is fast enough I have an old PC, and I use a high resolution graphic, then the video recording slows down

grelbfarlk 28 November 2018 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1287654)
The 68k game is fast enough I have an old PC, and I use a high resolution graphic, then the video recording slows down

I meant, that if it plays on a real 68k just fine, then on any machine that can run WarpOS, the 68k version would work also. Which is why making WarpOS version is pointless, unless it's not, I don't know.

jurassicman 29 November 2018 07:30

@grelbfarlk
Thanks for the upload but the file NX_Wos_v2.4.lha seems "defective" I haven't tried yet to open it on my Amiga but I can't open it on my Linux PC and that's weird...

AMIGASYSTEM 29 November 2018 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1287661)
I meant, that if it plays on a real 68k just fine, then on any machine that can run WarpOS, the 68k version would work also. Which is why making WarpOS version is pointless, unless it's not, I don't know.

Now I understand, thank you

grelbfarlk 01 December 2018 01:35

With Arti's sound FX (pxt directory) soundFX work too. But I found the savefiles are not working correctly, it doesn't set the FLAG in the correct location. Maybe I'll fix this, or you can just use Arti's version-actually do that.

jurassicman 01 December 2018 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by grelbfarlk (Post 1288186)
With Arti's sound FX (pxt directory) soundFX work too. But I found the savefiles are not working correctly, it doesn't set the FLAG in the correct location. Maybe I'll fix this, or you can just use Arti's version-actually do that.

Hi, I've tried your game and it runs at about 16 FPS on my system while the other version runs at 6 FPS.
I don't know if it is playable because I was in a hurry but it is certainly better on my system (and probably for people with a similar configuration) so, if you are having fun doing it, you shouldn't give up... :)

jurassicman 01 December 2018 21:57

I've tried again, there's no sound and the keyboard doesn't work so the game isn't playable. I can see the intro, though, and it runs at about 18 FPS... maybe, if the keyboard worked, it would be possible to play...

Hedeon 10 December 2018 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurassicman (Post 1288297)
I've tried again, there's no sound and the keyboard doesn't work so the game isn't playable. I can see the intro, though, and it runs at about 18 FPS... maybe, if the keyboard worked, it would be possible to play...

Seeing the first post I guess this won't be fixed?

grelbfarlk 10 December 2018 23:26

Yes I'll fix it, not sure why keyboard wouldn't be working for others, it has a slightly nonstandard layout, esc or F3 I believe should bring you to the settings page where you can bind it. Once I figure out the save bug I'll package it up with data files (I assume that's ok for this application? Legal Eagles can comment on that).
Sound, Music and keyboard are working here.

arti 30 March 2019 09:22

I can help you with save bug. I had same issue.
I'm curious how fast my version is on 060.

grelbfarlk 01 April 2019 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by arti (Post 1313773)
I can help you with save bug. I had same issue.
I'm curious how fast my version is on 060.

Sure thanks, I'd like to take a look at that source if it's available somewhere, or just your changes in that bit.