English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   News (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Gotek Floppy emulators and Amiga computers now working together! :) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72467)

desiv 04 March 2014 03:18

My wife texted me today, "You have a package from China."
WooHoo..
Get home, it's the Gotek drive emulator!

Still no USB/Serial cable from china, but this gives me time to solder in the header pins and play with how I'm going to fit it.

Haven't decided if I'm going to use it (assuming I get it working) in my A500 or A1000.
Probably the 500 for now, as it's easier to open and get at...

But if it works well, and works for my kickwork disk, I might move it to the A1000..

Man, more waiting.. ;-)

desiv

Nostromo 04 March 2014 18:27

Stupid question.... once the Gotek has been flashed, do I have to solder everytime I need to update the firmware, or this can be done via USB?

Thanks!

voyager 04 March 2014 18:33

there are no stupid questions only stupid answers :-)

If you solder a pin header , it's just connecting 4 wires and flash away.

Nostromo 04 March 2014 19:01

Ah ok, once it is flashed, do you have desolder it again?

kipper2k 04 March 2014 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostromo (Post 941551)
Ah ok, once it is flashed, do you have desolder it again?

nope, just solder a 4 pin header to the board to make it easier the next time if required

Arnie 04 March 2014 20:27

Mine arrived today. I have just flashed the drive and tested it on
my A1200. Works a treat with a 32gb Integral stick.

lesta_smsc 05 March 2014 04:59

Very impressive! I saw this quite a while ago but had no idea how to use it for this purpose! Glad someone with the intelligence has finally managed to exploit this!

Nostromo 05 March 2014 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 941552)
nope, just solder a 4 pin header to the board to make it easier the next time if required

Thanks a lot Kipper2k :)

tomcat666 05 March 2014 08:42

Just a quick question. It seems there are at least two versions of the Gotek drive now available - one has the LCD display and two buttons (plus one green LED above them) and one has no LCD and no buttons (just holes where they should be) - but has the green LED above the holes. The question is - will the firmware work with the one without the buttons and the LCD - and if so - can one solder their own buttons to the board somewhere, since you need them for proper operation.

Here are the pics :

http://pc.sux.org/tomcat/gotek1.jpg

http://pc.sux.org/tomcat/gotek2.jpg

Also, will this kind of USB -> TTL RS232 converter work for programming or do I need something else ? Since people in this thread have mixed results :

http://pc.sux.org/tomcat/gotek3.jpg

voyager 05 March 2014 17:18

The electronics inside wil be the same, as the once's with the lcd display.

I orderd the same usb to TTL, did not use it yet, still waiting for the gotek.
I did do some loopback tests with it and it looks good. there are 3 led's on them for power TX and RX.

I Think that most of the flash problems are related to not having enough power on the usb port.

tomcat666 05 March 2014 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 941755)
The electronics inside wil be the same, as the once's with the lcd display.

I orderd the same usb to TTL, did not use it yet, still waiting for the gotek.
I did do some loopback tests with it and it looks good. there are 3 led's on them for power TX and RX.

I Think that most of the flash problems are related to not having enough power on the usb port.

Ok, so I guess that the "motherboard" will just lack the buttons which could be soldered on to gain that functionality - did any1 try that ? Or did everyone buy the LCD ones ? I got an offer for the LCD/button-less version for 15 EUR a piece... but don't want to buy if it is not gonna work in the end :(

Good about the usb to ttl - will get it then :)

Thanx !

Arnie 05 March 2014 20:17

Just make sure you order the 1.44mb version.

I paid £20 delivered for mine. Came with LCD.

I would buy one with the buttons and LCD personally.

Nobby_UK 06 March 2014 00:58

The display is very bright --- I might remove mine

Just plugged the Flasher Unit in...

XP is not finding driver for it...
= CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller

Time to Google methinks

#EDIT#
Found it (Red light on now)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9.png~original

desiv 06 March 2014 04:19

Got mine working!

I got the exact model USB/serial device that kipper2k has from his pics earlier (I was all ready with my crimper.. Didn't realize it came with those header plugs on it already!!).
Funny, it came with JUST the cable. No docs, nothing. Just the cable in an envelope.

I loaded the driver that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just matched the pic from kipper2k's post, wire colors and all.

Hooked it up, loaded the tool..
Didn't see the device..
Hmmm..
Tried it again..

Nothing..

Hmm..

Checked voltage, yep... Looks good..
Unplugged power to the device and back in.. Tried it again, and THEN it saw the device!
Flashed it...
Worked..
Threw a couple ADFs on my USB stick, went to hook it up in the A500..

After an initial issue with the floppy cable pulling out (that's a short cable...), got the selector.adf to load!!!

YEAY!!!

Chose my game, restarted.. black screen..
hmm.
Hey, what ADF did I grab.. Um.. Putty Squad.. the Amiga 1200 game... :-(
Duh!! (It was in my DL directory.. ;-)

So, I go grab an Amiga OCS floppy (Tetris) and try THAT...

Works great!!!

WooHoo!!

Now, I have to decide what to do with this device, but works great..

Thanx!

desiv

voyager 06 March 2014 16:42

received my gotek today... I always like this kind of tweaking... figuring out why thing do not work..

It's a sad day for me as a tweaker.. It all worked out of the box :bash

Used windows 7 64 bit not win XP to make it more of a challenge, used a very cheap USB to TTL adapter with a give-a-way usb stick and I even used the standard prolific drivers and a USB HUB, but no joy.

Soldered a header on the gotek connected the 4 wires, started the flash software, clicked continue 3 times want is was al done :rolleyes
Life is like that sometimes it really sucks..

But there is hope!

The selector software does not like to be DF1 very much :)

Amiga boot menu select DF1, the selector starts but... before you get the firmware version it stops. At this point DF0 sounds very very unhappy and go's Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But using the selector on DF0 assigning the ADF files to slots and then use it as DF1 it works just fine.

The selector software it way to fast on my 030@56. Even with my god-like reflexes (not) it takes some time to select ADF's to slots.

In all very happy with it, maybe we can find some use for the red LED, or the multicolour LED spot on the PCB. I miss the sound of a real drive...

http://i.imgur.com/9AXpY7A.jpg

It even looks like the 90's :-)

kipper2k 06 March 2014 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 941985)

In all very happy with it, maybe we can find some use for the red LED, or the multicolour LED spot on the PCB. I miss the sound of a real drive...

I too like the floppy sound, i think it can be "fixed" to make the floppy sounds :)

lukassid 06 March 2014 18:04

Good one voyager

heavy 06 March 2014 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 941985)
received my gotek today... I always like this kind of tweaking... figuring out why thing do not work..

It's a sad day for me as a tweaker.. It all worked out of the box :bash

Used windows 7 64 bit not win XP to make it more of a challenge, used a very cheap USB to TTL adapter with a give-a-way usb stick and I even used the standard prolific drivers and a USB HUB, but no joy.

Soldered a header on the gotek connected the 4 wires, started the flash software, clicked continue 3 times want is was al done :rolleyes
Life is like that sometimes it really sucks..

But there is hope!

The selector software does not like to be DF1 very much :)

Amiga boot menu select DF1, the selector starts but... before you get the firmware version it stops. At this point DF0 sounds very very unhappy and go's Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

But using the selector on DF0 assigning the ADF files to slots and then use it as DF1 it works just fine.

The selector software it way to fast on my 030@56. Even with my god-like reflexes (not) it takes some time to select ADF's to slots.

http://i.imgur.com/9AXpY7A.jpg

it's exactly what I would like to do with my old external floppy drive. But how to plug the gotek on it ? need something more, what modification ?
have you inside photos ?

voyager 06 March 2014 20:12

It's a extremely difficult process of removing the old drive and plugging in the gotek :-)
No modification needed. :-) It just works.

I did found some bugs in the gotek firmware.
I was formatting 10 disks and after disk 3 they al came out as Ndos and the gotek crashed. After reformatting the disk still ndos? Formatting the disk and putting a trash can on it solved it. weird but true.

Retrofan 07 March 2014 00:42

@Voyager you've made what I want to make. As you like tweaking... why don't you use the plastic floppy drive front cover, and now you put the Gotek usb plug inside the floppy cover eject button hole, and now you put the led where the floppy cover has it? Take out the led screen and find a good place for the buttons :D

The pity is that it looks very nice as it is (very bad, man :crying). You should have bought it black, then you would have had a reason.