English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   request.UAE Wishlist (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   A little modification... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47773)

lelezetec 30 September 2009 13:48

A little modification...

Hi Tony, first of all thanks for your wonderfull piece of work that is WinUAE. I love it and it's the central engine of mi Amiga 2400.
I have to ask you one thing: is it possible to disable Windows ALT related combos like ALT-F4, ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-DEL while using WinUAE?
Another nice thing would be the ability to disable the F12 menu.

Thank you very much!

TCD 30 September 2009 14:05

Maybe this will answer your question :

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 598733)
(also this requires some really good reason because I am not interested in any kind of desktop replacements, WinUAE is not some kind of new x86 Amiga or whatever, it is an emulator only)

Toni Wilen 30 September 2009 14:27

alt-tab and ctrl-alt-del can't be disabled without low level hacks.

Added:

Context to post #2: those that want some desktop replacement features usually also expect winuae to be some kind of new Amiga / Amithlon-like or virtual Amiga instead of hardware emulator and they also think I am wasting my time with something stupid (like more compatible A500 emulation).

kipper2k 30 September 2009 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lelezetec (Post 599880)
Hi Tony, first of all thanks for your wonderfull piece of work that is WinUAE. I love it and it's the central engine of mi Amiga 2400.
I have to ask you one thing: is it possible to disable Windows ALT related combos like ALT-F4, ALT-TAB and CTRL-ALT-DEL while using WinUAE?
Another nice thing would be the ability to disable the F12 menu.

Thank you very much!

There is PC software out there that will remap your keyboard, so basically you can remap F12 to a key that is not used by Winuae thereby disabling it and also disable combo keys etc

tero 30 September 2009 15:19

Personaly i don't like the windows look&feel so i have to say
the more i can stay in emulation the better
DesktopReplacement would be the perfect solution.

But Toni, i'm never thinking you waste your time :sad
DeskRepl. is just a bonus!
being compatible is much more important (Amithlon often teach this)
and you are doing a great job on that:bowdown

kipper2k has said it: There are 3rd party prg's out there doing the thing!

my 2 cent

Toni Wilen 30 September 2009 16:41

ALT-F4 is disabled if CTRL-F11 quit option is enabled.

Note that most keyboard mapping software made for Windows applications (not games) won't work with WinUAE because it uses DirectInput (and RawInput if enabled, possible rawinput only in future)

Retro1234 30 September 2009 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 599884)

Context to post #2: those that want some desktop replacement features usually also expect winuae to be some kind of new Amiga / Amithlon-like or virtual Amiga instead of hardware emulator and they also think I am wasting my time with something stupid (like more compatible A500 emulation).

Toni I dont think your wasting your time - Do what you want, your never going to please everyone - WinUae Rulez!:D

Toni Wilen 30 September 2009 17:40

I guess I can add command line parameter that disables all hard-coded shortcuts but it won't be in GUI or in config file, ever, because it only traps users and results in "bug reports" ("Panic, why isn't F12 working?")

tero 30 September 2009 18:07

i did'nt expect this,
you're warmhearted Toni:great

lelezetec 01 October 2009 00:27

Dear Toni,
even if I am the one that used WinUAE like a virtual enviroment, getting the rid of Windows interface and booting directly into my favourite operatin system, I don't think you're wasting time. Instead I think that you're doing an excellent work able to cover all our needs. With your software the ones who want to emulate the old Amiga to play and come back to their early years it's possible. On the other side, geeks like me that want to work in an Amiga enviroment because it fits everything they need they can!
It will be good if you can add that key from command line, my Amiga 2400 x86 boots thanks to the -f function via command line and I'm using IBrowse to write you that message here :)

You know, as I wrote on my Amiga XP x86 guide, I felt homeless since I abandoned Amiga in 1996. I know perfectly that Amiga is dead and I know what are your thinking lines about WinUAE and what it should be used for.
However I think that, even if it's a small part of us, there are people that really care about WORKING on a real Amiga enviroment and since Windows it's easier to hack than Linux, or maybe I got more knowledge about it, you may satisfy even that small group of people.
I'm not asking you to emulato a PowerPC or stuff like that, I know you'll not. i'm just asking you that small modification to acheive a little goal that only you can help me to reach.

So, in advance, I thank you for everything you did until now and everything you'll do in the future for our community and, like it or not, you're keeping Amiga alive in our hearts with WinUAE.

So, from the bottom of an Amiga addicted orphan, I personally thank you :)

Toni Wilen 01 October 2009 10:40

Your reply isn't really helping because for me AmigaOS is nothing special anymore :) (it was lack of memory protection and resource tracking that "forced" me to move from Amiga)

Amiga hardware and demos and games that bang the hardware directly are so much more interesting :)

Anyway, "why?" has not been answered yet. Why do you need F12 disabled? I can see some point in ALT-F4 because it can be valid Amiga key shortcut. What about END+<x> shortcuts?

lelezetec 01 October 2009 12:54

Hi Toni,
thanks for your kind reply.
I think that disabling F12 and all ALT related windows hotkeys, would be very helpful if someone, like me, wants to creat a virtual Amiga enviromen. I know it's not your goal to make WinUAE the new Amithlon, but it's a possibility that WinUAE can do :)

Hope I've been more clear :D

Toni Wilen 01 October 2009 13:42

You still haven't answered the question. Why F12 has to be disabled but not END-Fx for example? (Amiga keyboard does not even have a F12 key..)

lelezetec 01 October 2009 14:01

Well,
as far as I concern all Windows / Interactive WinUAE hotkeys should be disabled in order to make the Windows side only an interface for preipherals :)

Hope this is clear :D

Retro1234 01 October 2009 14:03

How will you alter WinUae Settings?

TCD 01 October 2009 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Boo (Post 600216)
How will you alter WinUae Settings?

He won't. He wants to have the illusion that it's an Amiga. So, configure once and then use that.

DH 01 October 2009 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 600210)
....(Amiga keyboard does not even have a F12 key..)

I think he wants to be able to make the system as close to the real thing as possible Why doesn't he just snap out F11 and F12 if he's that desperate.

Forget about having an option to disable F12 Toni, it's not worth wasting the time.

@lelezetec
Go and buy yourself a real Amiga, you'll then have what you want ;)

eLowar 01 October 2009 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by lelezetec (Post 600214)
as far as I concern all Windows / Interactive WinUAE hotkeys should be disabled in order to make the Windows side only an interface for preipherals :)

WinUAE should also have an "Amnesia Mode" that will help you forget that you're still really using a Windows PC. I'm not quite sure how this will be implemented, but it's an important feature for an Amiga emulator.

Edit: (rest of this post)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser (Post 600219)
I think he wants to be able to make the system as close to the real thing as possible Why doesn't he just snap out F11 and F12 if he's that desperate.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. You could actually just tape over the contacts inside the keyboard without visually damaging it. :)

There are also those keyboard cases that came with some Mikronik Amiga tower cases. They provide a nice case and a PS/2 interface for real Amiga keyboards. I sold mine a while ago, but I know they work fine with Windows (and thus probably WinUAE), because I used one briefly on an old PC when I had no other PS/2 keyboard handy.

Retro1234 01 October 2009 14:07

Ok;) - I still think it would be best to be able to alter the options

killergorilla 01 October 2009 14:10

How you gonna put disks in?