English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Downfall - diary of a game... (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62851)

voyager 06 February 2012 12:46

Is that the Doctor Snuggles theme song in the youtube clip?

Graham Humphrey 06 February 2012 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predseda (Post 800770)
Graham, I have read carefully your ASC file, it is very well commented and I can now imagine how the whole game works. It would be great if you would always summarise all the changes since previous version at the beginning of the new file.

Thanks, that's good to know! Good idea about summarising changes, consider it done from the next update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyfish (Post 800794)
Cool. It was mostly just because the graphics in your game are 16 pixels wide that made me think of it. Personally Im always trying to squeeze hardware sprites in wherever I can, so it was probably a bit of a reflex action in mentioning it :)

To be honest, it would have made sense to go down that road... it just never occured to me so it's a good suggestion :) But we're only going to have two moving objects on screen maximum so I think I'll just carry on as is.

pubzombie 06 February 2012 22:07

Hi GH,
Only 2 objects ain't a negative constraint its a positive. I bumped into Ed Fries at an expo late 2010 an he was waxing lyrical about his Halo 2600 cart.
He gave a great talk about how artists have improved themselves and the art scene by self imposing constraints on themselves - Picaso etc yadda yadda yadda. He then went on to make a damn good case for the indie scene and homebrew scene for having some of the most talented and original minds in the games biz. Retro made people innovate was I think what he meant. Even mega popular stuff like minecraft could not have existed without the self imposed constraint of blockyness :-D and that turned out to be the game that Lego should have paid for. My point is, I guess, these 2 moving objects are yours to do with what ever the frag U want.

Graham Humphrey 06 February 2012 23:37

Well that's part of the reason I decided to do the game in the first place - the lack of moving objects mean it should be easier to program and makes it a simpler more manageable project. It's not inherently a bad thing by any means. It does mean I have more time to focus on making the actual gameplay as good as it can be.

Predseda 06 February 2012 23:57

Yes. Next project will be something like SoTB.

s2325 07 February 2012 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 800795)
Is that the Doctor Snuggles theme song in the youtube clip?

Yes, played by tiny external player.

Graham Humphrey 08 February 2012 23:27

A bit of work done this evening. Predseda drew me a new animation frame for when the player's character lands after falling so that's now been implemented. And more importantly, the problems I was having with the new movement system have been fixed so the character won't fly off the screen anymore. Slowly but surely problems are being overcome...

mihcael 09 February 2012 03:17

Just tried the wip3, very neat! Love the character, very well drawn. :)

Looks like it might be an intersting game when finished.

Predseda 09 February 2012 08:54

I am thinking about special bonuses - speed-up or slow-down, score-booster etc. What do you think, Graham?

frikilokooo 09 February 2012 11:52

God job!

Btw the game features enemies or obstacles?

Predseda 09 February 2012 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by frikilokooo (Post 801274)
God job!

Btw the game features enemies or obstacles?

Look at original "Man goes down" and "Downfall" from Graham's first post. It is a clone, so the gameplay should be similar.

Graham Humphrey 09 February 2012 21:01

Cheers Mike!

Friki - as Predseda says, it is a clone of an existing Atari homebrew game, so there'll be no enemies or anything. There will be bonus pickups though (for points - not sure whether I'll implement bonuses like Pred suggests but a speed up/down pickup might well be easy to do).

cosmicfrog 12 February 2012 12:17

Finally caught up with this thread

well done Graham & Predseda

personally would like a utube vid of the updates so I can see how its progressing s232 where are you ??

Game play, game play and game play, can be the simplest thing in the world but as long as its fun to play I don`t care to much what it looks like, thats not to say by adding a few simple things you can make things look a whole lot better which is great

s2325 12 February 2012 14:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEnu2gGQZ8

lifeschool 12 February 2012 15:03

^ lol. The music is very cutsy. :laughing

frikilokooo 12 February 2012 16:12

Nice music.I think that the game would improve with inertia :)

Graham Humphrey 12 February 2012 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2325 (Post 801804)

Thanks for that... gotta love the music :D I still find it a bit surreal that somebody would make a video of a game I made!

Quote:

Originally Posted by frikilokooo (Post 801824)
Nice music.I think that the game would improve with inertia :)

I agree and hopefully I will be uploading a new version soon with the inertia in place... it might not be today because I've been really busy in the last few days and have had little time to work on the game, but if I don't I'll try and do it by the end of this week.

Predseda 12 February 2012 17:11

Oh no, no updates today? :crying

Graham Humphrey 12 February 2012 19:43

Well, maybe later. I haven't done much this week but you might like a look at the inertia movement. Oh and I started work on the score system too.

Predseda 12 February 2012 19:59

I hope inertia will be more and more cruel in later levels :evilgrin