English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   shortcuts on workbench (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23880)

Dave_wb 15 June 2006 20:38

shortcuts on workbench

Hi guys,
I am running Bloodwych's classic workbench and want to know how you put a frigging shortcut on workbench.In Windows you right click and cut and paste to where you want it on your desktop.How do I do this on workbench? You are probably laughing hysterically now - but hey the England match only finished 10 minutes ago and you are still pumped full of adrenaline like me........does it have something to do with the iconify command?....please help.... I have enclosed the smilie that relates to how I am doing at the moment:banghead

RetroMan 15 June 2006 22:14

Just go to the game/app dir, highlight the game/app you want on WB and press RAmiga + L ;)

Bloodwych 15 June 2006 22:23

Or....

Right click on the icon, from the context menu go to “Position->Leave Out” for the same effect.

Also on that menu is "Put away" to place it back from where it cameth. :)

Dave_wb 15 June 2006 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroMan
Just go to the game/app dir, highlight the game/app you want on WB and press RAmiga + L ;)

Hi!!
Thanks for the info - I felt a right prat but now I know better.I have found a pair of Enact speakers built for the Miggy circa 1995 so my A1200 now has an internal hard drive, a squirrelscsi cd rom, a zip drive and a second external hard drive with which I am using to play Rush at a decent decibel level.Thanks again and rock on!:spin
Dave

Dave_wb 15 June 2006 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Or....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodwych

Right click on the icon, from the context menu go to “Position->Leave Out” for the same effect.

Also on that menu is "Put away" to place it back from where it cameth. :)

Thanks Bloodwych,
You are without question "the man". I love your classic workbenches and amaze friends who dont know what a magnificent machine the A1200 was and still is.How the hell did Bill Gates ever get to be the richest man in the world with his windoze software.I cant wait to see Vista which they think will need a gig of ram just to tick over!!Thanks again
Dave:great

Bloodwych 15 June 2006 22:54

No problem and yes you're right. I always thought Risc OS on the Acorn Arch was a neat interface too, amazing for the time especially since it ran completely from ROM (and loads better than the other ROM OS, Atari TOS).

Not as customisable or accessible as Workbench though. ;)

Vista looks like a way of selling hardware - the "glass" rendered interface requires 50-70MB RAM on its own! :shocked

z00mba 16 June 2006 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_wb
In Windows you right click and cut and paste to where you want it on your desktop.

Duh... this doesn't make a shortcut but MOVE your file to the desktop folder of the current user. :nuts

To make a shortcut: right click on the icon then "Create A Shortcut" then move the shortcut tp the desktop *OR* you can drag'n'drop the icon with RIGHT mouse button and select "Create shortcut here" from the contextual menu.

thomas 16 June 2006 10:35

@z00mba: you can also drag the icon with the left mouse button and hold down the Alt key to create a shortcut (hold down shift to move the file or hold down ctrl to copy the file).

@Dave_wb: there is no such thing like a shortcut on the Amiga. If you leave out an icon, it disappears at its original location. Although the file is not moved, Workbench only shows it on the desktop but not where it is stored.

Workbench keeps track of the left out icons in a file called .backdrop on each drive. You can edit this file with a text editor, if you want to do it the hard way.

Parsec 16 June 2006 11:19

I realised recently I don't completely understand some stuff about workbench. I find the snapshot stuff in particular a pain.

Is there an idiots guide on the net anywhere, or do I need to get a book? I can picture it now "Amiga for Dummies" :o

z00mba 16 June 2006 11:29

I remember as small freeware to create alias under WB (named WBAlias... so predictable) but you still have to leave out the Alias to get them on the WB after that. Anyway it never worked on my 3.9 system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsec
I realised recently I don't completely understand some stuff about workbench. I find the snapshot stuff in particular a pain.

Snapshot, icons, display and a few other things in this area are indeed a real pain.

bieniu 05 August 2010 15:08

Hey,

Thx for the info how to make icon on desktop from game / file, but i still dont know how to make shortcut from directory.

When i try to make from direcotry "iconify" i have shortcut on desk but after enter inside icon diappear from desk.

Ehm... pls help :D

best regards
b.

Minuous 05 August 2010 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsec (Post 250371)

Is there an idiots guide on the net anywhere, or do I need to get a book?

OS3.9 The Book at http://amigan.1emu.net/aw/

Bamiga2002 05 August 2010 21:42

You should try IconLink.

exoticaga 06 August 2010 13:40

All the time i ave used amiga have never found an easy way to snapshot desktop as i like it. Would be nice i it just remember where the icons are placed automaticaly as able to do with xp os. Was there samll software or hack made to do this ?

seuden 06 August 2010 13:50

I thought it was just right click --> snapshot --> all?

exoticaga 06 August 2010 13:55

BUt i always seem to snapshot - all and then window to make the icons stick. Just seems better if no snapshots needed, and could remember the position all icons were last left at automaticaly.

Or even a samll script to clickable icon on workbench, to do away with clicking snapshot this and that each time. I do move icons around a lot, so needing such a tool more often.

emuola 14 October 2010 19:43

Let's lift this up a bit... How do I create a "shortcut" or something like that in a way that it runs a shell script? If my shell script is called "dosomething", how do I make an icon/shortcut on the desktop in WB 3.1? In dopus it's easy, but what if/when I want the thing on my "desktop"?

cosmicfrog 14 October 2010 20:22

IconX

emuola 16 October 2010 20:08

Quote:

IconX

cosmicfrog 17 October 2010 12:13

:)