English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A600 Keyboard LEDS cable (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59855)

Supamax 27 June 2011 02:29

A600 Keyboard LEDS cable

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I have a little problem: after keeping my A600 case open for a long time, I noticed that two cables (out of 4) are detached. They are the orange and red cables (see photo). I suppose the 4-pins connector is used for LEDS power (POWER, FLOPPY, DISK).

There are 2 soldering points, and I don't remember which one is for the red cable and which one for the orange one... :nervous

kipper2k 27 June 2011 02:40

Hi,

looking at your picture...

Red is top left, Orange is bottom left

Supamax 27 June 2011 02:43

ok :),
thanks mate!

mutch 09 July 2011 06:28

1 Attachment(s)
This is a pain with the 600 as the lead has very short, fine gauge wires and is awkward to unplug. After mine breaking a couple of times I added an extension section to make it more secure. Just got some ribbon cable in matching colours and some thin tube heatshrink to insulate the joins. :)

Supamax 09 July 2011 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutch (Post 765663)
I added an extension section to make it more secure. Just got some ribbon cable in matching colours and some thin tube heatshrink to insulate the joins. :)

Good work :great.
Where did you buy the heatshrink tube? Electronics store?

P.S. I saw that your cables colors are different. I thought they were color-coded the same way worldwide...

mutch 10 July 2011 02:56

Hi Supamax,
yes most electronics stores where you might buy components, gadgets, etc should carry small assorted packs of heatshrink tube in various colours and sizes. A hairdryer is sufficient to cause it to shrink and make a nice, neat insulated join.

Just had another look at your pic, I think they're the same; green, orange, red, black. Maybe the quality of my pic, a very old digicam!

Cheers mutch.

Hewitson 10 July 2011 09:28

I personally use a cigarette lighter, there has been a couple of times when I've accidentally set fire to the wire though. :laughing

Loedown 10 July 2011 12:19

Hairdryers be damned, cigarette lighters are the only way to go ;)

Jope 10 July 2011 12:39

I use a lighter to melt heatshrink too. :-)

I've been told that it's not the right way to do it, but just be quick with the flame so that it shrinks and then stop and no-one will know the difference. ;-)

Allen1 10 July 2011 17:29

I've never tried the lighter method, I normally use a soldering iron after I soldered the wires together. That works ok as long as you don't use the part of the tip that has solder on it (messy if you do).

I reckon that a hot air soldering station would do a great job with heatshrink tubing but I haven't tried that yet.

rkauer 11 July 2011 01:13

Used all the mentioned methods. The best is using a SMD rework station, but that's an overkill if you are using it only to heat shrink some insulation.

So, here comes my cigarette lighter (yes, I'm a smoker).

Supamax 11 July 2011 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutch (Post 765828)
Just had another look at your pic, I think they're the same; green, orange, red, black. Maybe the quality of my pic, a very old digicam!

Oops! You're right, I assumed one cable was yellow... :blased I'm getting old

Amiga1992 24 January 2014 00:50

I got tired of this problem and directly replaced those tiny cables with long ones. It's a lifesaver.

I recommend you do the same, specially if you open the A600 frequently (like I do).

Fous 19 February 2014 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loedown (Post 765865)
Hairdryers be damned, e cigarette lighters are the only way to go ;)

What is the similarity of this two things. i don't understand your words. clear it by yourself.

Solo761 19 February 2014 22:34

They both produce heat which is needed for heatshrink tube to shrink?

Loedown 20 February 2014 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loedown (Post 765865)
Hairdryers be damned, cigarette lighters are the only way to go ;)

There's my original quote, troll, notice the absence of an 'e' before cigarette.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fous (Post 939019)
What is the similarity of this two things. i don't understand your words. clear it by yourself.

Heatguns are also a viable option depending on the distance from plastic parts, a hairdryer just doesn't get hot enough.

Blipsqueak 29 June 2016 04:59

Bumping an age old thread... Anyway, Thanks! Ripped my wires off and just wasn't sure. This was the info I needed! All working great again.

Nobby_UK 30 June 2016 22:53

Just for Ref...