English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   In Shadow of Time - installation problem (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27836)

alkis21 31 January 2007 23:51

In Shadow of Time - installation problem

I downloaded this promising looking adventure, and tried to install it in my hard disk. For some reason the Installer script failed (something about a missing German thingy), so I followed the documentation's advice and copied the files manually to a directory (and the fonts to the FONTS directory of my drive). According to the guide, that was all I needed to do, but when I tried to launch the game I was prompted to enter Disk 1. As I only have the archive and not the disks, I don't know what disk names I need to assign to the directory.

Any help will be appreciated.

killergorilla 01 February 2007 00:51

:crazy

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=shadow

alkis21 02 February 2007 19:30

Thanks for the link, but mine is a different problem.
I tried both suggestions anyway, first I created a 'Savedgames' directory (no luck), then I deleted everything, fixed the Installer script and used it to install from scratch (still no luck). I keep getting prompted for mysterious disk 1. :(

Retro-Nerd 02 February 2007 19:38

I can't see any problems there, the game is preinstalled. Just copy it to your hd and all is fine. Have you checked your startup-sequence? Maybe the faulty installer wrote a assign there, try to remove it.

alkis21 02 February 2007 19:49

Well, I can't see any problems in the process either, except for the part where it doesn't work! I double-click on the icon, the screen goes black, and I get an "Insert Disk 1" message in white fonts. I know this doesn't make sense, but that's what happens.

Just saw the 'edit'.. yes I did check both the startup-sequence and the user-startup, nothing is there.

Retro-Nerd 02 February 2007 19:50

That's very strange. Maybe x_to knows more.

viddi 02 February 2007 20:21

@alkis21

I have the same problem!
It´s strange, the beta version runs fine.

alkis21 02 February 2007 21:17

Doesn't anyone know the labels of the disks? Perhaps we can fix this with a few simple assign commands.

StingRay 02 February 2007 21:44

Works fine here. I just had a quick look at the code, the game only requests a disk if it can't find a file. So make sure you have copied all files to the HD and also check the protection flags, maybe there are files that are read protected. The game checks if a file exists by locking the requested file in read mode. If that fails it asks you to insert a disk.

Edit: If that doesn't work try an "assign SG01: yourgamedir" and see if it helps but I highly doubt that.

alkis21 02 February 2007 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay
So make sure you have copied all files to the HD and also check the protection flags, maybe there are files that are read protected. The game checks if a file exists by locking the requested file in read mode. If that fails it asks you to insert a disk.

All files are there and flagged as readable.

Quote:

Edit: If that doesn't work try an "assign SG01: yourgamedir" and see if it helps but I highly doubt that.
You're right, it doesn't work. :sad Thanks anyway.

I have an A1200 with 10MB of RAM, Workbench 3.1. Surely that should be enough?

StingRay 03 February 2007 00:03

The game should work fine on such config. Hmm, the only idea I still have is running SnoopDos to check which file couldn't be loaded. Maybe that gives a hint then.

StingRay 03 February 2007 00:13

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached my SnoopDOS logfile, this is how it should look like if everything goes fine.

alkis21 03 February 2007 11:21

OK, I think we're getting somewhere... SnoopDOS returned the following erros:

ToolType NOSOUND Fail
ToolType NOMUSIC Fail
ToolType NOBUFFER Fail
ToolType CLOSEWB Fail

All those tooltypes are in the ShadowOfTime icon's information. I removed them just to see what happens, tried to run it again, still get the same "Fail"s.

alkis21 07 February 2007 13:42

Any more ideas, guys?

StingRay 07 February 2007 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by alkis21
OK, I think we're getting somewhere... SnoopDOS returned the following erros:

ToolType NOSOUND Fail
ToolType NOMUSIC Fail
ToolType NOBUFFER Fail
ToolType CLOSEWB Fail

All those tooltypes are in the ShadowOfTime icon's information. I removed them just to see what happens, tried to run it again, still get the same "Fail"s.

Those are not errors, it just means those Tooltypes are not set. Why your game won't load I can't say though, I am out of ideas. Could you post your SnoopDos.log please?

andreas 07 February 2007 20:30

This will only make sense if alkis has *all possible* errors logged. You can setup that in SnoopDos, but you must remember to do that too ;)

StingRay 07 February 2007 21:57

Actually it's enough the enable logging of load errors :) Because apparently the game can't load/find some file and thus asks him to insert disk 1. :)

alkis21 01 May 2019 19:26

I am reviving this old thread because I still haven't solved this problem on my Amiga... and I think it is very strange because it works fine on WinUAE.

I am using this lzx file. I un-lzx it on WinUAE using Directory Opus. The game works fine whether I run it with WHDLoad or directly.

Now, I take the exact same file to my Amiga, I un-lzx it there, the archive is decompressed with no errors but when I try to run it I get the 'Insert Disk 1' message.

Isn't that strange? I would really prefer to play it on my real Amiga instead of emulated.

malko 02 May 2019 00:05

1 Attachment(s)
No real A1200 on my side but gave a try with this archive here under WinUAE (A1200, 68020, AGA, ROM 3.1 (40.68), WB 3.1 (40.42), 2MB Chip, 8MB Z2 Fast).
Got the same "german" error as you reported.
Modified the install script and re-installed the game : OK.
Game is working fine and looks good. Intro is funny.
I have attached the modified "Install_ISOT". Just download the game and replace the original "Install_ISOT" with the one attached here...
Who knows, maybe it will work this time ?...

DamienD 02 May 2019 00:27

The .HDF I created for use in WinUAE works perfectly; no idea now where I sourced the files from though... from memory, I definitely didn't get any "German error" when installing or "Insert Disk 1" when playing.

I could LHA that up so you can try extracting / running on a real Amiga.

Edit: done and file "InShadowOfTime.lha" is now in The Zone!