English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Coders. General (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   List your favorite text editor. (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55351)

Thorham 24 September 2010 19:41

List your favorite text editor.

List your favorite text editor for the Amiga here. I want to know what everyone is using, and why :great

Mine is FrexxEd (free, open source). Powerful right out of the box, and insanely configurable through it's script language FPL which is 99% C (if you know C, then you know FPL). If some feature you need or want is missing, just write it yourself in FPL. The possibilities are almost endless.

So, what about you guys?

StingRay 24 September 2010 19:42

Still CED for me. :)

pmc 24 September 2010 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoram
List your favorite text editor for the Amiga here.

None of them :D

Sorry, I'm just too used to bigger displays, better resolution, drag and drop editing, column mode editing, syntax highlighting, easy multi file editing and on and on and on of a modern text editor...

...say UltraEdit for example. ;)

Now I'll just wait for people to tell me all of this is available on some Amiga text editor - but I still won't change :)

Thorham 24 September 2010 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 703097)
Sorry, I'm just too used to bigger displays, better resolution, drag and drop editing, column mode editing, syntax highlighting, easy multi file editing and on and on and on of a modern text editor...

Hmm, that column editing business that UltraEdit offers sounds nice! Gonna try to implement it in FrexxEd.

Leffmann 24 September 2010 20:00

There are probably better editors on the Amiga today, but back then I always used Cygnus Editor. On the Mac I use SubethaEdit and on Windows I use Programmer's Notepad.

pmc 24 September 2010 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoram
Hmm, that column editing business that UltraEdit offers sounds nice!

It really is Thoram! :)

If I want to put say, for example, dc.w in front of a thousand lines of text then I can do it with a couple of mouse clicks and typing dc.w just once.

Comes in *very* handy. :great

StingRay 24 September 2010 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 703103)
If I want to put say, for example, dc.w in front of a thousand lines of text then I can do it with a couple of mouse clicks and typing dc.w just once.

Nothing a macro in ASM-One/Pro couldn't do. ;) But I agree, UltraEdit rocks.

Leffmann 24 September 2010 20:04

Yeah I agree. Some programmers swear that copy and paste editing methods and column editing is error prone, but I think it's a must.

Thorham 24 September 2010 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 703103)

Indeed, and I've already implemented the basics of that. I just can't insert text+numbers yet, and I have no trailing zeros for the numbers, either. It's not super fast, but still very usable (although it doesn't exactly insert anything, it currently just writes out a table into the text).

The main challenge (perhaps it's easy, I don't know) is UltaEdit's column mode, which does a lot more than inserting columns, but I don't know if it's needed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 703105)
Nothing a macro in ASM-One/Pro couldn't do. ;) But I agree, UltraEdit rocks.

It's nicer to have a nice window pop-up which allows you to enter a string/number/both (FrexxEd allows you to make that very easily) ;)

StingRay 24 September 2010 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorham (Post 703120)
It's nicer to have a nice window pop-up which allows you to enter a string/number/both (FrexxEd allows you to make that very easily) ;)

Of course, I totally agree on that. :) However, one shouldn't underestimate the "create macro" feature the editor of Asm-One/Pro offers (if you never used it, try right amiga + , which will allow you to create a macro), I often used it for kinda repetitive tasks.

Thorham 24 September 2010 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by StingRay (Post 703123)
Of course, I totally agree on that. :) However, one shouldn't underestimate the "create macro" feature the editor of Asm-One/Pro offers (if you never used it, try right amiga + , which will allow you to create a macro), I often used it for kinda repetitive tasks.

Is it as powerful as CygnusEd's macro functionality? As you probably know, CygnusEd can put anything in a macro, such as menu options, and different search/replace strings.

HonestFlames 24 September 2010 22:11

For text... CygnusED, all the way. It's fast, powerful and lightweight. Everything an editor should be.

For code... GoldED. Syntax highlighting isn't just eye-candy, it's damn useful.

Asle 27 September 2010 02:56

Viva emacs :)

ppill 27 September 2010 03:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 703097)
None of them :D

...say UltraEdit for example. ;)

Now I'll just wait for people to tell me all of this is available on some Amiga text editor - but I still won't change :)

I think GoldED covers much of what you've said. Not that it will change anything ;)

For me it's TurboText.

Also remember being very fond of another one called BlacksEditor (also known as BED).

And there's always Vim which has amiga roots (it was first developed for AmigaOS). But that's more a life's philosophy than an editor ;)

kriz 27 September 2010 04:35

Golded and ced

phx 27 September 2010 09:47

I have to agree with most of the posters here: using CEd everywhere. CEd for AmigaOS/68k, CEd for OS4 and CEd for MorphOS.

Even when we got some better editors in the meantime, you just get used to it. It's fast and lightweight and I don't really need syntax-highlighting.

Under Unix I got used to "joe".

StingRay 27 September 2010 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorham (Post 703128)
Is it as powerful as CygnusEd's macro functionality? As you probably know, CygnusEd can put anything in a macro, such as menu options, and different search/replace strings.

No, of course it's not as powerful as CED's macro features. It's hard to beat CED anyway. ;) Still, the macro features of ASM-One/Pro are quite handy.

squidbass 27 September 2010 09:55

I just wish I could get vim to work correctly under amigaos. Then I'd be happy.

korruptor 27 September 2010 15:27

I actually ended up using Xcode on the Mac, then did the syntax highlighting for Textmate. I used to use GoldEd on the Amiga, but I'm flirting with Frex now...

Lonewolf10 27 September 2010 18:42

I use plain ED most of the time for normal text use (amigaguides and normal text files), but prefer Devpac 2 & 3.18 for ASM work.
Which reminds me... how many spaces *should* the tab key equal? When coding, or typing text, everything is fine, but when listing it back using ppmore (which I renamed "muchmore" ages ago, and never changed it back - it's kinda funny typing "muchmore ram:" when I want to display files (I always transfer files to the RAM disk for editing... saves a little on the disk/hard drives, as long as I remember to transfer to the drive before resetting, or running my ASM code)).

err... rambling a little...

Edit: Rambled and forgot to finish what I was saying! When listing it back some lines are out of sync, despite being perfectly aligned within ED and the Devpac editors.

Regards,
Lonewolf10