English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Hardware mods (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Expansion board for the CD32 (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=72361)

Amiga1992 01 August 2017 22:15

So what was the change here? The "1" of the IDE was on the opposite corner? This card is so tiny that a CF adapter would still have fit fine in there I think. It would be fine either way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1175516)
A lot of the reason I make these cards is because specific design things in existing cards upset me. To see those things removed before anyone has even built one makes me hit my head off a desk.

:sad
Agreed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1175513)
incompatible yes, but probably a cheap alternative, i am not sure what people are selling risers for, i did see someone asking $69... too much for my blood!

kipper, I am sorry, but the best case scenario for all users here is to have something that works on as many different devices as possible. That was also the argument about maybe using PCI style connectors, so one board would work on both an A1200, a CD32, etc.

If you change the design in a way that makes it only work with your up and coming CF adapter and your up and coming riser, we're talking about closing the platform, or at least, narrowing it down.

We are at a point now where we have TWO boards (Wicher 32 and TF328) that can be plugged into THREE extenders (your old one, spidi's and fwsi) and be used. That's fantastic. But let's not destroy that. Things need to be more compatible in Amiga land. There's way too much fragmentation already. The CD32 is one and one only, and the more options the better.

As for riser prices, it'd be much more expensive to have to buy yet another riser because a card I want isn't compatible with it.

Amigajay 01 August 2017 22:35

Let's get these out in the wild before we change things I say, it's crazy to start changing things when CD32 owners are gasping for A thing, others can follow.

kipper2k 01 August 2017 22:43

no problem, i will stop

plasmab 01 August 2017 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1175549)
no problem, i will stop

Please don't stop. Just wish someone would try on the pair of jeans I made with the anklers attached to the crotch before everyone decides they are stupid :)

On a lighter note..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c84283c3e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amiga1992 02 August 2017 00:08

LOL there's a line? :D

kipper: Oh dude, don't be too sensitive over the matter, nobody told you to stop, I think, at least from my side, I am asking to consider compatibility above all else. Please don't get offended, we all appreciate all work done for the CD32 here.

You said you are not interested in producing these things anymore which is understandable, so it seems detrimental that a design you build or modify depends on other designs you build or modify.
Since you will not be producing them, it depends on too many factors for anyone to have all the pieces in the "puzzle" to be able to use things. If production of a specific something stops, all the other things might not work. If a RAM+IDE board only fits a certain adapter, if that adapter stops being produced by someone, the board is useless.

If everything is compatible, there are more options, and less chances of someone stopping production of a very specific thing and render a bunch of other things useless.

On the very specific case of the IDE port, I think that either way is fine, I don't see a reason to have changed it, but I don't think changing it has been a major thing. I just implore, because that's all I can do as I am useless in these matters :(, not to make major changes that could yield more impact on compatibility and long-term availability and usability of Amiga devices.

Amigajay 02 August 2017 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipper2k (Post 1175549)
no problem, i will stop

You do as you please, I was talking about people who actually want to get CD32 working products to people, I'm sorry, but for months...no scrap that, over a year, people have tried to contact you on here and email about your riser with no reply, now we finally have something coming out, you come out of the CD32 woodwork, I wouldn't touch any of your products personally.

kipper2k 02 August 2017 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1175571)
You do as you please, I was talking about people who actually want to get CD32 working products to people, I'm sorry, but for months...no scrap that, over a year, people have tried to contact you on here and email about your riser with no reply, now we finally have something coming out, you come out of the CD32 woodwork, I wouldn't touch any of your products personally.

wow. have a nice day :)

idrougge 02 August 2017 00:40

Never mind him, Kipper. Everyone else knows you've had your hands full.

kipper2k 02 August 2017 00:44

i dont mind, a public forum is not the place for personal attacks, if he has a problem he can send me an email :)

FREEMILK 02 August 2017 00:46

moving to a PCI connector and edge card is a awesome idea, the a1200 and cd32 stupid connectors are always going to be a issue sourcing. i think what kipper is doing is to put the CF in a non vertical position and one that can be cabled back to a expansion board so you would have a cf on the back of the CD32 is a perfect idea, most of us like to have a case on and have the amiga device look like its supposed to,,Plasmab i hope you can appreciate Kippers experience in the amiga product department he knows how to make things fit, i am sure there were many learning curves over the years. i really like what you both do and this open mentality is where we need to be.. we really need to start working together and stop the complaining, we need alternate accelerators that are open source, and are fast enough feature packed, and available this century, or if you can't wait built it yourself. TF530 and TF328 are super awesome the TF540 and i sure hope for a TF12XXX with seem sort to RTG will make a huge dent in the market. it would be nice to have a board that can be made cheap, with they PCI adapter "so you can buy adapter and then never have to deal with finding a 1200 connector again " have ram cpu, RTG, some GPIO for ethernet or whatever,, something like a va2000/tf540@100 mhm /128 meg, SPI for a ethernet , maybe USB for mouse ... ah i am probably dreaming again but lets just stop the personal attacks,

NovaCoder 02 August 2017 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrougge (Post 1175576)
Never mind him, Kipper. Everyone else knows you've had your hands full.

Kipper has done a HUGE amount for the Amiga community over the years...he has my respect :agree

Anyway back on topic...

Wolfenstein 3D port for CD32

:D

plasmab 02 August 2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaCoder (Post 1175587)
Kipper has done a HUGE amount for the Amiga community over the years...he has my respect :agree

:D

Agreed. Kipper has done good. The problem is me. I am not sure opening my source really works for me. What I was hoping for was a few initial adopters and some feedback. Instead what seems to happen is people want to tear my blood sweat and tears up and paint over it.

What is out there will remain open but I'm unsure about whether to do it again.

mattymuc 02 August 2017 13:21

@plasmab: The RAMs have arrived and have the expected format :great :-) Now I have to wait for the PCB.

FREEMILK 02 August 2017 13:23

Here is an idea i have been toying with for some time.
and i have a domain at the ready.

A place where we can post all things open source amiga,
have people list as sellers on the site, if they meet the rules like open source and a fair price for the work.

we could use it to track and discuss changes to prevent this situation, maybe there should be a process something like,, here is the new TF1280 and before we get first builds, any reasonable suggestions. this would help with collaboration and hope end in a better layout.

don't get me wrong plasmab you are doing great work i really hope we can all play together, after all we are adults i think,, :)

plasmab 02 August 2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREEMILK (Post 1175653)
Here is an idea i have been toying with for some time.
and i have a domain at the ready.

A place where we can post all things open source amiga,
have people list as sellers on the site, if they meet the rules like open source and a fair price for the work.

we could use it to track and discuss changes to prevent this situation, maybe there should be a process something like,, here is the new TF1280 and before we get first builds, any reasonable suggestions. this would help with collaboration and hope end in a better layout.

don't get me wrong plasmab you are doing great work i really hope we can all play together, after all we are adults i think,, :)

Not a chance I'd participate in something like this. Sorry

FREEMILK 02 August 2017 14:39

well i came back here and though this thread would be different,
i guess the Amiga will forever be doomed.

no one wants to play together, everyones blood sweat and tears seem to be more valuable then the rest..

have fun do good things.

FM

Daedalus 02 August 2017 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1175609)
What is out there will remain open but I'm unsure about whether to do it again.

Hmmm, I can understand where you're coming from. These days a lot of people value open sourcing above anything else, like you're not a "real" developer if you don't open source, and so put a lot of pressure on developers to open their work. While that may be a very noble and fine thing to do, there's no shame at all in not doing it, after all, a closed source product is better than no product at all.

I think you'd be better off keeping your projects closed, perhaps collaborating with people on the design if desired but ultimately retaining control of it. You can still sell the boards on DirtyPCBs, and people are free to suggest changes. It's always possible to switch to open source at a later date if you lose interest in the project or decide that's in the best interest of the project. Keep in mind that the project's ultimate purpose could be simply to make you happy, so whether to open it or not should be based on that. Anything else is just secondary.

eXeler0 02 August 2017 15:55

@plasma & @kipper2k
We are lucky that we live among Wizards like you in this day and age ;-) Thanks for the interesting work and effort.
As for the need to modify stuff to better suite one's needs - that is and always will be the case. No reason to get upset, one solution will be perfect for some, other's will prefer it different. It's not a big deal and should not be taken personally. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with a particular design, just that there's room for a few different versions.

Thanx again for your work and effort.

Amiga1992 02 August 2017 16:10

Hmmm FREEMILK's speech sounds familiar... In any case it seems he just signed up to troll.

Going OT a bit myself now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by plasmab (Post 1175609)
I am not sure opening my source really works for me. What I was hoping for was a few initial adopters and some feedback. Instead what seems to happen is people want to tear my blood sweat and tears up and paint over it.

I totally agree with this and this is the reason I don't want to open source the only program I have so far, because I really both appreciate and loathe open source stuff.

I appreciate that if someone disappears or gets bored or whatever, other people can continue the work and I think that is great. Open source is especially good on hardware support like drivers or firmwares. I absolutely love it in that aspect. It allows for many great things like for example the new Gotek firmware.

However with programs, it's a bit of a mixed bag, and personally, in my case, I've done an application so specific, that letting someone have a go at it is just not gonna happen. The software itself isn't that important in my opinion, the concept is, and you can't "open source" that.
As an user, sometimes it gets really confusing to know which one to get for your use. For example, DD-WRT, is such a mess, every time I have to upgrade my router, I need to read for several minutes to make sure I am doing the right thing. Things like OpenOFfice/LibreOffice, or Kodi in its million forms... its's just really really annoying.

And there's this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus
It's always possible to switch to open source at a later date if you lose interest in the project or decide that's in the best interest of the project.

This is what I would do case I ever lose interest in a project of mine.

Here's hoping that even if you will not be making your future work open source, you will still provide it for free to the community :great

End of OT :P

Thanks all for your work.

Back to topic:
klipper2k: the riser version I bought from you, besides the keyboard connector not working and creating issues with sound (which are "fixed" now since I removed the chip), has a non-working RGB port. Is there any way we can fix that? "23-pin" video port works, but it'd be better to have a standard SCART connector.

plasmab 02 August 2017 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREEMILK (Post 1175671)
well i came back here and though this thread would be different,
i guess the Amiga will forever be doomed.

no one wants to play together, everyones blood sweat and tears seem to be more valuable then the rest..

have fun do good things.

FM

I have a YouTube channel where I regularly do live design sessions. And I read all the comments If this isn't enough for people to participate in the process then fine.

I am not handing over creative control so that I can be a slave to you. Sorry. I charge a very expensive day rate to do what other people decide. This is my fun time.

I don't think my efforts are any more important than others but when they are wiped out instantly I question whether to bother.