English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   HOL suggestions and feedback (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   coverdisks (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=10020)

killergorilla 02 June 2003 14:34

coverdisks

Are you think of including info on games that were released as free coverdisks?

I remember quite a few commercial games being given out on coverdisk and noticed there is no info on HOL. (Steel, and Return of the Jedi being two I can remember off the top of my head)

Just a thought!

Twistin'Ghost 02 June 2003 14:53

When we have the info, we include it. As an example, see this entry...

HOL Database (id=1914)

As you will see, the coverdisk is scanned and the info listed under the thumbnail of the scan. We add info such as this to the NOTES field as time permits and as we run across such things.

At some point I will do a coverdisk audit, which I have already done a lot of work on. The info is here to input, but so is a whole lot of other info and this just hasn't risen to the top of the queue yet. Mind you, my list is not 100% complete and I still add to it as I discover missing titles. Any contributions of games that were released as coverdisks, however, will need at least the name of the magazine and preferably the date of the issue and number of the disk (if available).

TIA for any additional info you have on the Steel and Return of the Jedi coverdisks.

BippyM 02 June 2003 15:01

The following games were given away complete and free with magazine coverdisks/Cd's

Bombuzal (Amiga Power issue 1)
Kid Gloves (AP Again issue 2 (or was it 3))
Balance Of power
Purple Saturn Day
F1GP (Amiga Format CD)
UFO (AF CD)
No Second Prize (AP Issue 65)
TFX (CU Amiga CD)

There were a lot more that I can't quite remember!!

killergorilla 02 June 2003 15:18

HATE (Amiga/ST) (Computer Express, Issue 138 - 27 June 1991)
Steel (Amiga/ST) (Zero - July 1991)
Vyrus (Amiga Fun, Issue 4 - February 1991)
Future Shock (Amiga Fun - 1991)
Return of the Jedi (Rampage, Issue 4, Disk 2)
Foundations Waste (Amiga/ST) (1990)

I also have a copy of Dark Fusion, but it was a budget release from Prism Leisure Corporation.

And another...

I have copies of battlestorm and Apache Flight, which where budget releases (around £7.99 I think), the disks themselves have "Electronic Distribution of Software" written on them. They never had the game names written on the disks, so I had to write them on.

They came in plastic cases (exactly like menace for example) but I've lost them since then. Anyone shed any light on this?

BippyM 02 June 2003 15:28

A couple more...

Conquest (Amiga Action Issue 75)
Quick The Thunder Rabbit (Amiga Action Issue 73 & 74)
Fantasy Football League (Amiga Action Issue 83)
Interphase (AF - Issue 18)
Balance Of Power was AF Issue 19

BippyM 02 June 2003 15:28

Is there a complete list of complete covermounts?

Twistin'Ghost 02 June 2003 21:12

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll add this stuff with my existing list and maybe make this tonight's chore (last night I updated gambling and fruit machine entries, 99% completed).

Quote:

Originally posted by bippym
Is there a complete list of complete covermounts?
Actually no, but a good resource for at least the copy-protected disks is here on EAB:

Fiath's Copy Protected Coverdisk List

along with the small number of Amiga coverdisk sites out there (sorry, don't have the URL's handy, but they should be easy to find). Somebody should make a complete coverdisk list, IMHO.

BippyM 02 June 2003 23:49

Maybe we could start a couple of threads each one dedicated to a certain Amiga magazine..

Each thread can then supply issue number and coverdisk/coverCD contents

Then all this info could possibly be included within the HOL

or just stored seperately..

I may start this myself!

Antiriad 21 July 2003 21:49

Gentlemen, would it not be possible to have all Amiga mag coverdisks scanned in for HOL?

I would like to scan mine in for example.

Twistin'Ghost 22 July 2003 08:40

Quote:

Originally posted by Antiriad
Gentlemen, would it not be possible to have all Amiga mag coverdisks scanned in for HOL?

I would like to scan mine in for example.

I think this would be a swell project either way, personally. But there would be a good bit already waiting for HOL inclusion. When I get my coverdisks back, I intend on scanning all of them, as well (there are soooooo many...), since they just look groovy. And yes, many are needed for HOL.

Actually, I think it would be kinda neat if there was a side database to HOL that covered Amiga magazines. It could include basic info on what is reviewed, scan of magazine cover and coverdisk, date of release, etc. The future PD/SW HOL would only need minor alterations (ie, publisher, etc.) and I suspect a magazine database could be easily modified from the HOL core, as well. And in addition to my database of Amiga games, I have databases for Amiga mags (contents, dates, issue number, coverdisk, etc.) and for PD/SW. I only wish I had as much time as I have info... (sigh)