English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Query about ClassicWB Lite HDF (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91166)

Foebane 09 March 2018 14:01

Query about ClassicWB Lite HDF

Does anyone know if the HDF that comes as part of the ClassicWB Lite install is a basic HDF, or does it use Full Drive/RDB mode?

chip 09 March 2018 14:07

Full Drive/RDB

AMIGASYSTEM 09 March 2018 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1225493)
it use Full Drive/RDB mode?

No active Full Drive/RDB mode

Foebane 09 March 2018 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1225501)
No

So what if I wanted to make it use that mode? Can I just click on the RDB mode button? Won't I have to use HDToolbox to make changes?

AMIGASYSTEM 09 March 2018 15:03

Yes, but destroy the content, you will have to initialize with HDToolBox format and recopy all the data.

Foebane 09 March 2018 15:11

OK, I don't want to do that. I don't think it even needs it, as I used it for a long time before I even knew what RDB was, and I had no issues.

However, can I use multiple HDFs with and without RDB, or do they all have to be one or the other?

AMIGASYSTEM 09 March 2018 15:14

You can use them anyway, but you can not, for example, partition them, change the filesystem, or write as a disk image on Amiga Real.

Foebane 09 March 2018 16:08

What I would like to know about RDB is, is it a one-way operation? If I select the plain HDF (whatever it is) and click on that RDB button in WinUAE's hardfile options, I find I cannot click it again to reverse the mode or turn it off. Is it a case of once clicked, forever RDB?

AMIGASYSTEM 09 March 2018 17:46

Do it first to create one new, make one first new :)

Foebane 09 March 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1225547)
Do it first to create one new, make one first new :)

So how do I deactivate the RDB mode on the HDF file?

AMIGASYSTEM 09 March 2018 23:08

You can not go back :confused

Foebane 10 March 2018 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1225629)
You can not go back :confused

Best to make a backup of that HDF, just in case. ;)

Foebane 11 March 2018 09:57

Yep, I just confirmed it by starting up WinUAE with the ClassicWB HDF as usual, then casually strolling over to the Hard Drive settings, clicking that HDF and "accidentally" hitting the RDB mode button. Then I resetted the Amiga.

OH, NO! NO MORE CLASSICWB, just the 3.1 boot screen! Oh, what a silly sausage I am! :banghead :crying

Just goes to show that it's most likely easier to just copy the OS to a much larger data HDF (preferably full RDB) first, process the original HDF and then copy it all back. Oh, well.

thomas 11 March 2018 10:43

The RDB mode is only saved in the WinUAE config, not in the HDF itself. You can just remove the HDF and add it again to deactivate RDB mode. Or load the config file again.

Only if you run HDToolbox and write an actual RDB to the HDF, then the data is gone. Although it could perhaps be restored by a program like DiskSalv.

Foebane 11 March 2018 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 1225914)
The RDB mode is only saved in the WinUAE config, not in the HDF itself. You can just remove the HDF and add it again to deactivate RDB mode. Or load the config file again.

I had the HDF backed up, and when I reset the Amiga as I mentioned before that brought up the boot screen, it was in the same WinUAE session.

So I just ran WinUAE again, and indeed, the OS is back. What's more, it didn't change the .uae file itself. So really, it's not a major problem, I suppose.

AMIGASYSTEM 11 March 2018 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1225920)
So I just ran WinUAE again, and indeed, the OS is back. What's more, it didn't change the .uae file itself. So really, it's not a major problem, I suppose.

Normal and discounted :) because you have not modified anything on the hard disk, but if you initialize it with HDTooBox you will not be able to go back. :D

Foebane 11 March 2018 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM (Post 1225922)
but if you initialize it with HDTooBox you will not be able to go back. :D

Oh, I'll be sure not to do that. :cool