English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   AMR contributions (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Amiga Power back issues - any interest? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32790)

James Junior 26 October 2007 09:26

Amiga Power back issues - any interest?

I just came across this site by accident and just enjoyed reading an old review of Celtic Legends (what a game!) in the archive section where there are a few old issues of Amiga Power. (what a mag)

I have somewhere in the depths of my attic almost evey issue of Amiga Power ever printed from number 1 through to the very last flimsy issue (replete with cyclists of the apocalypse and an extremely sarcastic review of Alien Breed 3D giving Team 17 one last stab in the eye) before they went bust.

Subject to interest levels I could potentially retrieve these magazines and start scanning in some of the old reviews/ content to help complete your site's archives.

Please let me know if you would be interested and I will consider braving the horror of the attic and my GF's disapproval...

Graham Humphrey 26 October 2007 09:31

Hi and welcome to EAB :)

I think this thread should be moved to the AMR contributions forum, I'm sure they'd be interested to have any content scanned that isn't online already.

Dizzy 26 October 2007 09:32

Hi and welcome JJ

sounds nice, but first you might wanna visit this site http://amr.abime.net/issues_5 :)

DamienD 26 October 2007 19:15

Hello James Junior,

Welcome to EAB ;)

That's a very kind offer you've put forwardthere :great

As Graham suggested, thread moved into the AMR section where best suited and I'm sure the AMR team will reply soon.

Paul_s 26 October 2007 19:49

If you're selling them chap let me know how much you'd like for them all :)

Galaxy 26 October 2007 23:07

James Junior,

We've got AP covered fairly well between us. However, if you would like to do some scanning please concentrate on the later issues (50 onwards) as I'm working my way through the earlier issues, and sadly don't have many later issues. Be sure to check what is on AMR first though, a few of those late issues are already scanned.

DamienD 26 October 2007 23:39

...and you should check out the AMR FAQs which will assist with questions / answers on how best to scan / what resolution etc. ;)

James Junior 28 October 2007 10:19

Okay - when I get chance I will make a list of which issues I have and see if I can fill in any blanks...

Cheers

James Junior 28 October 2007 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_s (Post 366921)
If you're selling them chap let me know how much you'd like for them all :)

I probably would consisder selling them as much as I love the mag they're just gathering dust in my attic.

Once I have checked which issues I have I'll let you have a list of what I have and what condition each is in. From memory most are pretty mint.

I don't have the cover disks anymore however, most of the disks corrupted so I sadly had to throw them away.

blade002 28 October 2007 10:26

Amiga Power = The Worst Amiga Publication in History!.

Poor Screen Grab technology resulting in pathetic looking, grainy washed out screenshots.

Poor ratings for so many classic and Amazing Amiga game titles.

Poor layout..

The list continues.

TBH - If i were in the market to buy an Amiga back then ( already had one ) and i picked up Amiga Power in the newagents, i would have been totally put off the Amiga!.. It made the graphics look comparable to a C64. It made the Amiga look REAL BAD.

Graham Humphrey 28 October 2007 11:02

We've had this discussion many times before...

No they didn't. They told things how they saw them. And they were incredibly funny. "Grainy washed out screenshots"? I don't think so.

If you want to see magazines making the Amiga look bad, how about all the mags who gave games artificially high marks after Escom relaunched the Amiga to encourage people to "keep the Amiga alive" (when it had the opposite effect)?

If you would like to give some examples to back up your points then please do, I would be interested to see them.

blade002 28 October 2007 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey (Post 367267)
We've had this discussion many times before...

No they didn't. They told things how they saw them. And they were incredibly funny. "Grainy washed out screenshots"? I don't think so.

If you want to see magazines making the Amiga look bad, how about all the mags who gave games artificially high marks after Escom relaunched the Amiga to encourage people to "keep the Amiga alive" (when it had the opposite effect)?

If you would like to give some examples to back up your points then please do, I would be interested to see them.

Hey buddy, you sound kind of pissed off. Relax, Relax.. its just my opinion ok :) I bought a number of issues of Amiga Power ( would buy them when they sold out of the better mags :) ) and found it to be the crappy compared to most other Amiga publications. What i saw is what i saw, and this is how i saw it ( Amiga Games reviews are more complex in seeing it as they did ).

I am not trying to get into a provocative situation here, i had no idea it had been discussed before, and if it had and i was part of the discussion then i would have forgot ( a lot of shit on my mind ), so again my good friend, its just an observation of mine, and your 1000% entitled to yours.

The only examples i can give is too to grab my previous copies of Amiga Power out and compare to CU Amiga, The One, TGM.. etc.. yes its true there were "other" publications that were crap as well, but i am talking about Amiga Power and not the others.

And i think AP were try hards, trying to be so different in their opinions on what should get rated a good review or bad review that they just ended up sounding like idiots.

There was only so much you could do with an Amiga Title, and they were expecting the Holy Grail with every game, and in my honest opinion, the Holy Grail was reached many times but still many times not "all" it wasn't good enough for AP.

Graham Humphrey 28 October 2007 11:20

Hey, I'm not pissed off, I'm just interested to know why you think this, that's all :)

And you are entitled to your opinion, even if you are wrong ;)

Indeed this has been discussed in the past, don't know if you took part in those discussions though. I always do, mind you, which is how I remember them ;)

Hmmm, now while I certainly don't agree with all their reviews, I would say they were one of the few mags that said WHY they did or didn't like a game and gave a coherent argument for it. They never, ever fell for the hype for any game and said what they really thought of it. They weren't interested in making the Amiga "look bad", only in good games. And it was very well written and damn funny to boot. But then that's just me ;)

It's one of those mags that always divides opinion.

Galaxy 28 October 2007 11:55

Even though AP is far from perfect I always found it an entertaining read and am a bit sad I never managed to get a complete set.

In general I think it's over-rated and I don't believe that their reviews were as balanced as they claimed, but it was still one of the most interesting Amiga games mags.

I find blade's screenshot comments interesting - IMO AP's screenshots were not too bad, esp when compared to some other magazines at the same time.

I ought to point out that a few more complete issues have been added recently (see AMR home page). No. 10 will be online some time in the next few days (hopefully tomorrow though).

Paul_s 28 October 2007 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Junior (Post 367256)
I probably would consisder selling them as much as I love the mag they're just gathering dust in my attic.

Once I have checked which issues I have I'll let you have a list of what I have and what condition each is in. From memory most are pretty mint.

I don't have the cover disks anymore however, most of the disks corrupted so I sadly had to throw them away.

Excellent chap let me know via PM when you're ready and we can sort out payment etc - I love AP :bowdown

No problems regarding the coverdisks - got them all in adf format here :cheese:great

jarre 31 March 2020 14:24

The Missing Amiga Power Issue 5 in the zone (if it is still missing)

jarre 31 March 2020 20:54

also got those ones, without numbers, lemme if i have to image or scan some

Attachment 66656

Attachment 66657

got more but will make a list lateron......................

jarre 31 March 2020 21:10

i also have:

Amiga Magazine 98, 105, 106, 107, 110 and 118

Amiga Format Collection 1 to 11

Amiga User International 39, 40, 41, 44, 45 and 46

Amiga Computing NOV93, MAY94 and MAY95

The One OKT93 A+B, SEP93 A+B and AUG93 A

Amiga Shopper 25, 32, 35, 36, 45 and 49 A+B

let me know if something have to be imaged or scanned

redblade 31 March 2020 22:50

I need to get rid of my collection of old Amiga magazines, so if people want to cut them up and scan them I could send it to them, they have to pay postage tho..