English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Given this info, is it possible to port Diablo to the Amiga? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97950)

b0lt-thrower 01 July 2019 18:09

Given this info, is it possible to port Diablo to the Amiga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tADL_fmsHQ

Essentially, there's enough debug code on the Diablo (PC version) CD-ROM that a single coder reconstructed the code to run on just about anything, and the video's creator ported it to the Nintendo Switch in a single evening.

Just curious - I am not a coder!

kamelito 01 July 2019 18:11

Well only doing the disassembly would cost more. After it is x86 code and the Switch is ARM...

DamienD 01 July 2019 19:29

Funny you should mention this, there's a thread from 2 weeks ago about just that: Diablo demo conversion for Amiga!!!

b0lt-thrower 01 July 2019 23:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1330115)
Funny you should mention this, there's a thread from 2 weeks ago about just that: Diablo demo conversion for Amiga!!!

Most excellent! I've followed up in that thread.

Marlon_ 02 July 2019 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1330115)

That thread was not about this though.

This would either require SDL2 to be ported to AmigaOS 3.x or DevilutionX to be backported to SDL1.2. Either way as it’s written now it requires OpenGL...

saimon69 02 July 2019 17:54

Am honest: even though i would love Diablo on Amiga i deduce that a 1:1 port would be tough for a machine that has less than a 030, lots of stuff happening: real time turn based, bunch of monsters, 256 colors hi-res, dynamic lighting and wall transparency;

however we might follow some of the footprints and create a similar game optimized for the platform, but definitely will not be a short task

Samurai_Crow 02 July 2019 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by saimon69 (Post 1330275)
Am honest: even though i would love Diablo on Amiga i deduce that a 1:1 port would be tough for a machine that has less than a 030, lots of stuff happening: real time turn based, bunch of monsters, 256 colors hi-res, dynamic lighting and wall transparency;

however we might follow some of the footprints and create a similar game optimized for the platform, but definitely will not be a short task

Agreed. An 030 and Fast RAM would be the minimum. AGA wouldn't hurt either (mainly for huge sprites).

gimbal 03 July 2019 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0lt-thrower (Post 1330100)
[url]and the video's creator ported it to the Nintendo Switch in a single evening.

A few evenings because the dude had to patch in controller based movement rather than mouse based movement, but it's still damned impressive.

But let's face it, the original PC specs were a Pentium 60 and the Playstation port had to be tuned down to make it run at a decent speed...

Dunny 03 July 2019 15:19

A guy named Notaz wrote a PC -> ARM reverse engineering tool for this specific game, and then ported it to the OpenPandora.

Would be nice to see if it could be done for the Miggy indeed.

captain_zzap 03 July 2019 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimbal (Post 1330449)
But let's face it, the original PC specs were a Pentium 60 and the Playstation port had to be tuned down to make it run at a decent speed...

Was speed on the PlayStation port really a Problem? I would have guessed that memory was the bigger problem.

Overmann 03 July 2019 21:16

The mac version had a PowerPC 601 as requirement. Which did not perform significantly better then the 040 (although on the Mac they had much higher clock speeds, so the upgrades were good) and should perform worse then an 060.
Looking at the benchmarks of the 601 I think a fast 040 should probably run it and an 060 should be able to handle Diablo fine on an AGA or RTG system (with properly optimized code).

By all accounts the 060 running at 50mhz is a more powerful/faster CPU then a pentium 60.

roondar 03 July 2019 23:40

Diablo does not run particularly well on a Pentium 60 though, Blizzard recommended a Pentium 90. That said, a 68060 version would be interesting to see. Though I expect it's a game better suited to RTG than AGA.

Overmann 04 July 2019 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by roondar (Post 1330539)
Diablo does not run particularly well on a Pentium 60 though, Blizzard recommended a Pentium 90. That said, a 68060 version would be interesting to see. Though I expect it's a game better suited to RTG than AGA.

I can imagine that to be true. The slowest machine I've ever played it on was a P90 and it ran perfectly. The P90 probably has a bit of an edge on the 060, but with some inventive use of the MMU for graphics routines I don't see why some inventive and motivated coders can't work it out :crazy

It is sure to be a huge task though.. I don't know who would take it upon themselves to do it, but I sure hope someone does :bowdown

b0lt-thrower 06 July 2019 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overmann (Post 1330544)
I can imagine that to be true. The slowest machine I've ever played it on was a P90 and it ran perfectly. The P90 probably has a bit of an edge on the 060, but with some inventive use of the MMU for graphics routines I don't see why some inventive and motivated coders can't work it out :crazy

It is sure to be a huge task though.. I don't know who would take it upon themselves to do it, but I sure hope someone does :bowdown

Me too, man. I mean, I'm in no way a coder (in any real sense) it would sure be nice if someone took a crack at this though.

ExiE 06 July 2019 22:43

Looks like Vampire would be perfect match

turrican3 07 July 2019 04:54

Diablo is an incredible game,
but the chalenge will be high.
Higher than the port i asked if it was possible,
the port i thought about was ufo 2 terror from the deep, it was a sdl
version, easier to port, but nobody pick it.
But perhaps diablo is more attractive.
ps: openxcom https://github.com/OpenXcom/OpenXcom sdl-opensource and can play xcom 1 and 2 (terror from the deep never released on the amiga) !!

gimbal 08 July 2019 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_zzap (Post 1330481)
Was speed on the PlayStation port really a Problem? I would have guessed that memory was the bigger problem.

Fair enough, that sounds very likely. I don't know the exact details of what the limitations were.

Marlon_ 15 July 2019 18:26

Arczi, Klaus and I are currently working on OS3.x port:
https://i.ibb.co/xHrXL0x/Untitled.png

DamienD 15 July 2019 18:30

Good stuff indeed, hope you guys succeed :great

utri007 15 July 2019 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_ (Post 1332753)
Arczi, Klaus and I are currently working on OS3.x port:
https://i.ibb.co/xHrXL0x/Untitled.png

What is you target system?