English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Other (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Can I use the "bullet" character in the names of dragged files? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102370)

Foebane 23 May 2020 21:35

Can I use the "bullet" character in the names of dragged files?
 
I mean the character recreated with "•" on webpages, looks like a nice little bullet point, ASCII I think is U+2022 resulting in "•".

I renamed an Amiga archive just now with the character and it seems to work fine, and the character on Workbench is a little rectangle, so I don't think there'll be a problem - right?

I was told previously that Workbench is fickle about certain ASCII characters that it doesn't like in filenames, so is this OK?

DamienD 24 May 2020 00:23

Probably, but the real question is why you'd want to use "•" in file / folder names?

Foebane 24 May 2020 03:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1402055)
Probably, but the real question is why you'd want to use "•" in file / folder names?

Presentation, purely cosmetic. It looks nicer than a dash, and it seems to work. I think AmigaDOS flags it up as an unrecognised character, anyway, and I'm using RDH0: to refer to the dragged file in any case, it shouldn't affect it.

Foebane 24 May 2020 14:57

I've decided against the bullet character, as I've gone to big lengths to remove any characters the Amiga might find offensive, and to add the bullet this late would be counter-productive.

Looks like the good old dash "-" will have to suffice.

DamienD 24 May 2020 15:00

Smart move :agree

You could always use either a "-" or an "_"; I'd imagine that should be enough for separating words in your naming convention.

Rixa 24 May 2020 16:21

I suspect that · (U+007B MIDDLE DOT) would work, but better steer clear of that too.

Foebane 24 May 2020 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1402156)
You could always use either a "-" or an "_"; I'd imagine that should be enough for separating words in your naming convention.

Ugh, I despise underscores, they just look so ugly to me. :)

demolition 24 May 2020 18:29

Maybe at some point, someone will make an Amiga filesystem with full Unicode support - in that case you might be able to include PETSCII characters in your filenames. :)
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2018/182...inals-prop.pdf

Foebane 10 June 2020 14:38

What about the "#" character? That's plain ASCII, but I wonder if AmigaDOS will have problems with that, too.

So is "#" OK?

Daedalus 10 June 2020 15:16

In theory you can use any character other than / and : for filenames, but there are lots of characters than have extra meaning to AmigaDOS, such as double quotes, brackets and so on, and these should really be avoided as they can cause issues. # is one of these special symbols - it's used for pattern matching so can cause issues with some AmigaDOS operations.

Edit: The "middle dot" character (actually 0xB7 / ASCII 183, not 0x7B) is fine in Amiga terms, though there are some 3rd party fonts that have a lot of the higher symbols missing, so it might not always be displayed correctly on all systems.

Foebane 10 June 2020 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daedalus (Post 1406828)
In theory you can use any character other than / and : for filenames, but there are lots of characters than have extra meaning to AmigaDOS, such as double quotes, brackets and so on, and these should really be avoided as they can cause issues. # is one of these special symbols - it's used for pattern matching so can cause issues with some AmigaDOS operations.

Aaah, I forgot about that. I had my mind going NO NO NO when I thought of using it. Tried it, looked damned ugly anyway, it looked better without it.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:30.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Page generated in 0.04209 seconds with 11 queries