English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Apps (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Linux 68k & Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6203)

mtb 03 September 2002 23:25

Linux 68k & Amiga

I know there are version of Linux for 68k processors, and so also for Amiga ( from 68030, that has got a Memory Management Unit ).
I don't want to run it on Uae ( it's impossible, due to disk swap and mmu features ), but i don't understand why an Amiga should run Linux for these reason:

1) An old for example Pentium 200 pc is faster, and it cost very little money nowadays

2) Why wasting Amiga life-time for an operating system that runs in the same way ( or so i think ) on other cheap platform ( also if a Pc Breaks down it's not a tragedy )?

If there is someone that runs Linux on an Amiga platform, i would like to know why and what advantages it takes compared to a Pc Linux.

RetroMan 04 September 2002 00:26

There is NO advantage, except that some people only own an Amiga and want to use Linux apps :)

Miggy2TheMax 04 September 2002 04:20

Agree with Retroman, oh .. and some people (like me) install it on the amiga just so they can see the kernel penguin being displayed on the amiga... looks nice :D

edit: There is a use for running linux under amiga, linux is a great development OS, so if you want to develop for the 68k architecture using a developer's os install linux on your amiga. I know there are cross compilers, but still there is "nothing like the real thing [1]".

[1] "nothing like the real thing", trademark of Akira :)

Shatterhand 04 September 2002 06:20

Actually, I believe the trademark is
"Nothing beats the real thing"
:D

Amiga1992 04 September 2002 06:23

Nothing Beats the Real Thing© akira K, kiken.corporation
Nothing Like The Real Thingis a subsidiary of the NothingBeatsTheRealThing network, kiken.corporation

:D

mtb 07 September 2002 14:25

Ok, now i have some ideas of why. But what about performances, for example a standard 4000
040 25 Mhz can be compared to an Intel of what kind?

One years ago i have installed Debian Linux on a i486 dx2 66 Mhz , but it was very slow,
especially under X. On an Amiga, that hasn't got a text mode, this one will be "simulated", but
it's reasonable to use also a real graphics mode? ( Amiga has got graphics chip, and of
sure they can help the Motorola doing graphics apps, if Linux use it )

Of sure I am not against Linux, perhaps against one other Os...., perhaps the best seller...

Miggy2TheMax 09 September 2002 06:03

Quote:

Originally posted by mtb
Ok, now i have some ideas of why. But what about performances, for example a standard 4000
040 25 Mhz can be compared to an Intel of what kind?

One years ago i have installed Debian Linux on a i486 dx2 66 Mhz , but it was very slow,
especially under X. On an Amiga, that hasn't got a text mode, this one will be "simulated", but
it's reasonable to use also a real graphics mode? ( Amiga has got graphics chip, and of
sure they can help the Motorola doing graphics apps, if Linux use it )

Of sure I am not against Linux, perhaps against one other Os...., perhaps the best seller...

It will be painfully slow on a 040 25mhz. I have tried running linux on a 33mhz 040 (quadra) and it was terribly slow as I was trying out a kernel compile, I didn't even dare run X .. that would of really bogged the machine down. try it out, see how you go, might be different ..

mtb 10 September 2002 21:30

I believe you...

Probably it will be "usable" at least with the last of the 68k, so the 060.

And only "usable".