English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Games (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mortal Kombat II - Insane difficulty? (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89269)

lordofchaos 31 October 2017 20:30

Mortal Kombat II - Insane difficulty?

I recently decided to have a play through of the game (WHDLoad version),
only to get my ass kicked, I made sure the game was on the easiest difficulty setting, this did not help at all, I had too use a cheat to get past the 4th fight, even at this stage the A.I. is totally savage.. Am I just getting too old? Was the game really this hard on easiest setting? Was it even mentioned in the reviews? Or is this some copy protection thing, like what Gods had?..

It's like walking through a blender whilst trying to count faster than a computer.

s2325 31 October 2017 20:59

Maybe CPU setting is too fast?

lordofchaos 31 October 2017 21:07

Hmmm, not sure it's that, have it set to standard A1200 setting, and other titles seem fine.

s2325 31 October 2017 21:09

AI is always confused with Baraka's blade special move if you need easier gameplay, 39 is not much.

jotd 31 October 2017 21:12

have you tried the arcade version? it's very hard too. If you want to be sure that the protection (which was vicious, right) isn't active, use the whdload slave

lordofchaos 31 October 2017 21:16

I`m not sure I understand what you mean. All the cpu fighters are just constantly attacking, executing moves endlessly, there's almost no time to do anything, most of the time you spend blocking. I finished Street Fighter 2 the over day, didn't find that hard at all, it was possible to exploit the A.I. and there was time to perform moves.. MKII on the other hand...39?

lordofchaos 31 October 2017 21:21

@jotd. Yes, was using the whdload slave. I`ll check out the cracked disk versions, maybe they're different?

ransom1122 31 October 2017 21:45

I never find MKII hard on both Amiga or Arcade. Do the old jump back trick then when opponent jumps toward you either jump kick em in mid air or press back and high kick em as they land near you.

Ive finished MKII twice in a row in arcade MAME version :)

Hardest game ever is Capital Punishment. That game is bonker hard!!

jotd 31 October 2017 21:51

The kicking part is the key, yes, saw a guy doing exactly what your describing at the arcade back in the days but timings are really difficult to get used to. I could never play like that... (and I finished MK1 with 1 credit)

lordofchaos 31 October 2017 22:13

All those moves at your disposal and it's reduced to a jump back trick, ah well, whatever works I suppose haha! Still think MKII on Amiga was never play tested properly...

Amiga1992 31 October 2017 22:14

This trick works on the Amiga version, for everyone but Kintaro.
If you keep jumping backwards, the computer will jump towards you like a moron. Then all you need is a bit of timing, to see when to jump after you landed a kick.

Works best in difficulty set to super hard or very easy.

jotd 31 October 2017 22:27

there are rumors that the code in MKII is ported from arcade code. it's not a "look the arcade game during hours and try to do the same" kind of port like Final Fight.
also explains why coders don't want to release the amiga version source code.

redblade 31 October 2017 22:57

Yeah I found MKII a bit difficult like it read my moves then acted. Whenever I jumped in I would quite often get upper cut or if I jumped into Barakka I would get scissor cut. I also had trouble uppercutting my opponents because they would always duck then uppercut me. I had the Prestige version that used to crash just after Kintaro.

dlfrsilver 31 October 2017 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1196088)
there are rumors that the code in MKII is ported from arcade code. it's not a "look the arcade game during hours and try to do the same" kind of port like Final Fight.
also explains why coders don't want to release the amiga version source code.

Yes the amiga version contains some code logic from the coin-op but also some of the megadrive version.

ransom1122 31 October 2017 23:43

Some hard enemies like barakas blades if you jump at him is a common problem. Solution just dont jump at him. Jump back. He mimics your move and jumps toward you. Then roundhouse kick him.
I tend to duck down and as soon as enemy gets near you do the "jump back" trick.
Kitana was another pain the backside for jump attacking at.
As for bosses back and forward jumps work but not always. You can always do a freeze ball when they stomp or laugh at you. But you have to be quick.

Street Fightet II has this kind of "knowing what you move will be before you do it" code.. but with certain tricks you can beat them.

Galahad/FLT 31 October 2017 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd (Post 1196065)
have you tried the arcade version? it's very hard too. If you want to be sure that the protection (which was vicious, right) isn't active, use the whdload slave

Huh? It was just a couple of copylocks and PDOS wasnt it?

lordofchaos 01 November 2017 00:09

@ransom1122. I found the Amiga version of Street Fighter II much easier than MKII, it's as if the inputs are being missed with the joystick, latency in your actions. It's awful. And the enemies are way more aggressive.

DamienD 01 November 2017 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofchaos (Post 1196111)
@ransom1122. I found the Amiga version of Street Fighter II much easier than MKII, it's as if the inputs are being missed with the joystick, latency in your actions. It's awful. And the enemies are way more aggressive.

...so test the .ADF / .IPF versions then to compare; then you'll have the answer :agree

ransom1122 01 November 2017 00:47

MKII is more truthful to Arcade then what SFII was to Arcade IMO.

DamienD 01 November 2017 01:02

...as much as I love the Amiga, plus both games are in my collection.

The only versions I ever play of these are the Arcade (via MAME) or the Super Nintendo (via Snes9X).