English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How do YOU pronounce PSYGNOSIS? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105228)

BarryB 02 January 2021 19:52

How do YOU pronounce PSYGNOSIS?

Speaking from an English point of view, do you pronounce it as 'SIG' nosis (SIG as in SIGNAL) or SIGH gnosis (as in he gave a huge 'SIGH' of relief)

The reason I ask is that some members of Psygnosis were doing a talk at Play Expo in 2017 retro event and this question was asked, they said it was prounced 'SIG' nosis as the guy who invented it (Roger Dean?) pronounced it 'SIG' nosis! BUT, on the intro for Blood Money it's clearly pronounced 'SIGH' gnosis contradicting what they said?

So which do YOU prefer, SIG or SIGH?

Radertified 02 January 2021 19:55

I used to say SIGHgnosis back in the day but at some point I changed to SIGnosis and have stayed that way since. Must have been pronounced that way in the intro of one of the games once because there's no other reason for me to have changed.

manossg 02 January 2021 20:00

Definitely SIGHgnosis, since the guys themselves in the Blood Money intro pronounced it that way.

BarryB 02 January 2021 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radertified (Post 1450192)
I used to say SIGHgnosis back in the day but at some point I changed to SIGnosis and have stayed that way since. Must have been pronounced that way in the intro of one of the games once because there's no other reason for me to have changed.

Yes, Blood Money has it pronounced as SIGHgnosis so probably why you pronounced it that way BITD!!

Heres' the Psygnosis event on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO4ZffAy9uo

Skip to 42:15 to hear the question, my mate Simon was asking it :great

DamienD 02 January 2021 20:04

I've always pronounced it SIGHgnosis ;)

Dastardly 02 January 2021 20:09

Reading it back then I always considered it SIGnosis. It's only in the years since that I've heard others pronouncing it SIGHgnosis, so I assumed I was wrong. Now I don't know what to think.

Galahad/FLT 02 January 2021 20:12

I always pronounced it SIGHygnosis, influenced by psychology.

I know that those that worked they pronounced it SIGnosis or SIGGYNOSES, but grammatically it doesnt fly with me, couldnt have bothered them much as they never 'corrected' the speech in Blood Money which would have taken moments to do.

If im wrong, i dont want to be right

Dastardly 02 January 2021 20:19

I probably thought of it as SIG because I was a kid and didn't know a lot. If I came across the word as an adult I would assume SIGH because it makes more sense looking at existing words with that prefix, like psychology as Galahad says.

Radertified 02 January 2021 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1450202)
I know that those that worked they pronounced it SIGnosis or SIGGYNOSES

I think this is the answer. SIGnosis, just because that's how they seem to have intended it.

EDIT: Your video BarryB explains it, but also check out this video from someone that worked there where it's pronounced SIGnosis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqduhShyh0Y

Either way is fine, but I'd say SIG is more correct than SIGH in this case.

BarryB 02 January 2021 21:08

Also, by the same logic, their other label Psyclapse does not sound right if you pronounce it SIClapse, in my opinion SIGHclapse sounds much better :great

Foebane 02 January 2021 21:13

1. It would probably help if you spelt it correctly in the topic title. ;)

2. At least everyone seems to agree that the P is silent. :p

Radertified 02 January 2021 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1450235)

Who said the title is spelled incorrectly? And what silent P?

You don't pronounce it PISSgnosis?

BarryB 02 January 2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foebane (Post 1450235)

Lol, thanks for pointing out my Dylsexia :D

Foebane 02 January 2021 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryB (Post 1450249)
Lol, thanks for pointing out my Dylsexia :D

Well, I knew what you meant, but there may be some out there who have never heard of the name. :shocked

Belgarath 02 January 2021 22:32

Psy (Sigh) generally considered to be of the mind
Gnosis = Knowledge

It's obviously pronounced sigh no sis, although back in my somewhat younger days me and my friends decided it was something like sig ni o sis

Rotareneg 02 January 2021 22:36

Pies-noses. ;)

Seriously though: PSYg-nos-is is what I called them, but sig-nos-is sounds fine to me.

lmimmfn 02 January 2021 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamienD (Post 1450196)
I've always pronounced it SIGHgnosis ;)

This, but other things from the 80s i realised i was mispronouncing :), and i dont mean gif, thats phonetically 'gif' for me regardless of the official name :)

lilalurl 02 January 2021 23:04

Thread title fixed.

If you pronounce it SIG, you can always say that it is the French pronunciation,
which we all know is the language of the world intellectual elites :cool.

BarryB 02 January 2021 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmimmfn (Post 1450272)
This, but other things from the 80s i realised i was mispronouncing :), and i dont mean gif, thats phonetically 'gif' for me regardless of the official name :)

You mean Jif, don't you? That was either peanut butter, lemon juice or a household cleaner.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilalurl (Post 1450283)
Thread title fixed.

Muchas Gracias :great

Nobby_UK 02 January 2021 23:34

Sigh