English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Nostalgia & memories (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   CD32 vs Floppy versions (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91405)

slx 19 March 2018 15:40

CD32 vs Floppy versions

What is the difference between the games what released on CD32 and the floppy version of the same games?
I checked this list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amiga_CD32_games
and I can not imagine what is the difference between them.
For example the 'International Karate +' CD and floppy version.
Have all the CD versions contain CD audio music?
OK, I think the 'Simon the Sorcerer' has speech, too. But the others?

DamienD 19 March 2018 15:42

You've virtually answered you own questions.

Some CD32 versions *may* have audio tracks when compare to AGA ones; but not always.

You can usuallly tell by the size of the CD32 images (.BIN & .CUE / .ISO etc) whether or not they contain audio tracks.

slx 19 March 2018 15:45

I only saw big difference in the 'Defender of the Crown' CD32 game...

DamienD 19 March 2018 15:46

I could probably name at least 10 x CD32 games with audio tracks from this list, but too lazy ATM :p

slx 19 March 2018 15:52

I watched this video and I simply can not see-hear too much difference!
https://youtu.be/_x1YS8VG5_Y

AMIGASYSTEM 19 March 2018 16:38

Some games of the CD32 unlike the Floppy version require the use of some keys that only has the Joypad CD32 includes :confused

Amiga1992 19 March 2018 17:06

Besides CD-Audio, some games take proper advantage of all the buttons on a CD32 controller. Others also have a silly animated intro or whatever.
On games with a large number of disks, the other advantage is lack of disk swapping.

But yeah in general, unfortunately, they are mostly AGA shovelware.

slx 19 March 2018 17:48

it means this platform wasn't too wrought... but it came out at the end of the AMIGA. :'(

Amiga1992 19 March 2018 18:28

The CD32 came too late and overlapped too much with the A1200, which wouldn't be a problem had it ever reached the intended market.

Having the same games A1200s get with some improvements is OK, if the people that are buying it didn't already have an A1200. It is a console and was supposed to bite on the console market, but didn't. I am sure most of the people that bought one back then were Amiga users (a foolish purchase and stupid of Commodore to push it so much to existing Amiga users). In the end what happened is the Amiga's now eternal curse: unnecessary platform segmentation.

Is there any surprise in Commodore fucking up here? The CD32 could have fared better if dealt with differently. It is my favorite gaming Amiga hands down! So much wasted potential.

slx 19 March 2018 18:31

Yes, Akira you are completely right!

Amigajay 19 March 2018 19:09

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...r-ZaQ/htmlview

Check the first tab in my spreadsheet that tells you if the game has extras or cd audio.

alexh 19 March 2018 21:36

Most CDTV and some CD32 games were just the floppy version but hacked to run from CD. Some are even not by the original developers but the publishers who used scene cracks because the original source code had been lost. The two Thalion CD32 games for example are just the floppy version

Amigajay 19 March 2018 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1228417)
Most CDTV and some CD32 games were just the floppy version but hacked to run from CD. Some are even not by the original developers but the publishers who used scene cracks because the original source code had been lost. The two Thalion CD32 games for example are just the floppy version

Whoever thought to release a couple of ancient games when they had Lionheart a perfect console game? i know it was planned along with No Second Prize, but even so old A500 games being sold at full price hurt the CD32 more than not releasing them.

Amiga1992 19 March 2018 22:26

Nobody had any fucking idea what to do with the machine, starting with "Commodore".
Most developers were not given any beforehand, or any other incentive to create original games for it.
I guess developers didn't even give a shit at that point but also wanted to have a foot on the machine from the start so they shoveled something along.
Games like "Morph" having a CD32 release make absolutely no sense.

It was doomed from the beginning.
The hardware was able. They could have done a lot of good stuff with it if they had any clue.

Amigajay 19 March 2018 22:36

Well to be fair, it took the A500 a while to get going, and the A1200 small enhancements didn't help with the CD32 launch games, it took a while for devs to create Doom clones, sad thing was the mid-late 94 was when the first CD only games were due to come out so they were coming, though soon as first wind of Commodore hit they all got held off never to see any situation resume.
As much as the CD32 has its flaw (mostly A1200 related of course) Commodore did at least improve upon the C64GS and CDTV and get out a CD based console for a decent price.

Amiga1992 19 March 2018 23:00

There was also as you mention that time in games history, a shift in aim at games, everything went 3D with the advent of the Playstation, and there was no competing with that.

People wanted 3D even if it looked absolutely horrid, like most early PSX games do.

There was still space though, IMO, for beautifully crafted 2D games. Rayman or Gex were great examples. But yeah A1200/CD32's biggest drawback was that it kept compatibility with shit old machines that were working in a way that didn't allow for console-like action to happen at its best, whether it be 2D or 3D. So even if you pushed it, I don't know if a game like Rayman would have been possible.

The CD32 is as shovelware as the games it got.

Amigajay 19 March 2018 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akira (Post 1228458)

The CD32 is as shovelware as the games it got.

Well its a CD based Amiga, it was always going to get 95%+ of its games ported from the Amiga computers, i knew that when i bought one!

52/167 of its games are pure "shovelware", the rest have at least added extras or cd audio, but we have gone over this hundred times :laughing

Amiga1992 20 March 2018 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amigajay (Post 1228461)
Well its a CD based Amiga, it was always going to get 95%+ of its games ported from the Amiga computers, i knew that when i bought one!

Yeah but you or I should not have been the market buying it, rather the kid that was eyeing the Megadrive. To them, most of the Amiga games could have been very new since they were not ported to other platforms.

Anyway yeah, subject wears thin fast.

CD32 is the best gaming Amiga, fight me :P

sokolovic 20 March 2018 16:33

CDTV and CD32 games should have been the equivalent of the PC CDROM games for the A500 and the A1200 (or MegaCD games for the MD).

Instead, most of the games were indeed direct shovelware with no improvement at all.
Commodore should have commercialized CDROM drives for Amiga computers users first, then release eventually an all in one CD solution. They did release A570 but it was far too late (and I don't even speak of the CD1200).

But what would have been the point of buying an A570 to have the exact same game that you had on a basic A500 (same thing for the CD1200) ?

I remember an interview of David Pleasance saying to Amiga users not to buy the A1200 because the CD32 was a better machine.

Amiga1992 20 March 2018 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolovic (Post 1228713)
I remember an interview of David Pleasance saying to Amiga users not to buy the A1200 because the CD32 was a better machine.

And there you have it. What a poor move.