English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.OtherUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   KX Light - Linux Editor destroys config-file!? (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39642)

martinalexander 20 September 2008 23:25

KX Light - Linux Editor destroys config-file!?

I have a very annoying problem. I can install Amiga Forever 2008 excellent, but when using a linux text-editor (tried Beaver in Damn Small Linux) to edit the config file (even if only changing fastmem_size from 8 to 16), I get a cli with some text scrolling by really fast at the start before it disappears and leaves me with an empty wb-screen (no menu's, icons etc loads, only the window and the "working" mousepointer).

When editing it on a Knoppix Live-CD with GVim, I got the same result, only that I can't browse the partition graphically in knoppix afterwards (browsing in terminal works).

Would be really glad if someone could help me solve this, really want this system up and running :crying!

Thank you!

TCD 20 September 2008 23:36

I guess it's the line breaks that screws up the config. Try to save with windows line breaks (both carriage return and line feed). I hope one of these editors can save it that way.
On the other hand I might be complety wrong. How do you use Amiga Forever 2008 with Linux?

martinalexander 20 September 2008 23:42

Huh :shocked... Actually don't know how/what you mean :nervous !

But sure, that could be the reason :confused !?

The Amiga Forever 2008 CD can boot natively with a tiny "invisible" linux-distro ;) !

TCD 20 September 2008 23:48

I mean does it use WinUAE or E-UAE for the emulation? I don't have AF2008 so I can just guess that it is that way. Can you look at the original and edited file with a hex-editor and see if there is a difference in the line breaks (2 bytes in the original version and 1 in the edited) ?
Nice feature of the AF CD btw ;)

martinalexander 20 September 2008 23:52

It's more likely that it uses e-uae than winuae in linux, but can't confirm that :crazy !

This is very weird... A basic linux text-editor should not cause such problems :sad !

TCD 20 September 2008 23:57

If you press F12 you can check if it is WinUAE ;)

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:09

Tried to check it in a terminal hex-editor, but actually could not find anything wrong...

In KWrite, end of line is set to "unix" but I can change it to "Windows/Dos" :confused !?

Could perhaps be because the encoding is set to "Western European" ?

It is set to dynamic word-wrap, and "Dynamic word-wrap indicators" are set to "Follow line numbers". Since this is under the view-menu-option in the editor, this perhaps only affects the editor !?

ISO 8859-1, but this last number goes to 16.

Actually dont know what more I can fill in with :crying !

TCD 21 September 2008 00:15

Have you tried to save it in the 'Windows/DOS' format in KWrite? The other options should really only affect the view in the editor.
So in the hex-editor the line breaks are the same? If so I can't think of a problem related to editing the config file in a text editor :confused

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:19

Actually in the text-editor I did not know quite what I was looking for, just checked that everything seemed to look the same :laughing !

TCD 21 September 2008 00:21

Okay ;) So is it now working?

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:24

Dunno, will get back with the result soon!

TCD 21 September 2008 00:26

Best of luck with it :great

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:29

Nope, changing "End of line" to Windows/DOS gave the same result :sad !

TCD 21 September 2008 00:34

:( Then it has something to do with AF, so I can't help you with it sorry. I hope someone here knows what causes this problem. You could also try to send an email to Cloanto with your problem. Maybe they can help you :)

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:37

Yep, have sent them a mail...

... The weird thing is that it works excellent until I change anything in the config file, and the problem persists even if I change the values back to the defaults!

So I can't really see how it could be AF :( !

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:44

WHOOP, somehow it just worked when resetting the values this time (have not worked before) :shocked !

TCD 21 September 2008 00:44

One last thought : If you're booting from the AF CD, how can you change the config? Do you edit it in a kind of RAM drive?
Oh and btw : Have you yet confirmed if you are using WinUAE? ;)
Can you attach both the original and the edited config here, so I can have a look?

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:52

I am changing the config after it is installed, from the linux partition that is :p ... And it is confirmed that it uses E-Uae :) .

Here comes the default config file, all I have changed is fastmem_size and gfxcard_size (here default) :nervous!

# E-UAE configuration file

# General options
unix.rom_path=/Amiga/rom
unix.floppy_path=
use_gui=false
use_debugger=false

# Host CPU-specific options
x86.use_tsc=true

# CPU emulation options
cpu_type=68020/68881
cpu_speed=max
cpu_compatible=false
cpu_cycle_exact=false

# JIT compiler options
cachesize=16384
compfpu=true

# Chipset options
chipset=ecs_agnus
ntsc=false
immediate_blits=true
collision_level=none

# ROM options
kickstart_rom_file=$(FILE_PATH)/amiga-os-3x0.rom
kickstart_key_file=$(FILE_PATH)/rom.key
kickshifter=false

# RAM options
chipmem_size=4
bogomem_size=0
fastmem_size=8
z3mem_size=0
gfxcard_size=8

# Floppy drive options
floppy0=
floppy0type=0
floppy1=
floppy1type=0
floppy2=
floppy2type=0
floppy3=
floppy3type=0
nr_floppies=4
floppy_speed=100

# Hard disk options
filesystem2=rw,DH0:System:/Amiga/dir/System,1
filesystem2=rw,DH1:Work:/Amiga/dir/Work,0

# Display options
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width_windowed=800
gfx_height_windowed=600
gfx_width_fullscreen=800
gfx_height_fullscreen=600
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=true
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_correct_aspect=false
gfx_center_horizontal=none
gfx_center_vertical=none
show_leds=false

# Sound options
sound_output=normal
sound_bits=16
sound_frequency=44100
sound_channels=stereo
sound_interpol=none

# Input device options
joyport0=mouse
joyport1=kbd1

# SCSI emulation options
scsi=true
scsi_device=/dev/cdrom

# Network emulation
bsdsocket_emu=true

# X11-specific options
x11.map_raw_keys=false
x11.low_bandwidth=false
x11.use_mitshm=true

TCD 21 September 2008 00:56

Okay, since it is E-UAE I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with the line breaks ;)
I read the first post again (maybe a bit late :laughing) and you try to set the 'fastmem_size' to 16, but 8 is the maximum ;) You can set 'z3mem_size' to more than 8 MB (I would then set fastmem to 0). Maybe that is causing the whole problem :p

martinalexander 21 September 2008 00:58

Ok, something is really screwed... After ONLY changing fastmem_size from 8 to 32, I got a message saying it cant load the wallpaper image... A hard-reset gave me the same error along with a "Ram Disk is full" :shocked !