English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (http://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.WinUAE (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Triple buffering (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61406)

atchoo 12 October 2011 22:00

Triple buffering

Is triple buffering working in windowed mode, too?
In MAME triple buffering works only in full screen mode, but maybe WinUAE is another story... :)

Toni Wilen 13 October 2011 12:22

Buffer selection is passed to graphics API (DD/D3D), but I am not sure if you actually get triple buffered windowed mode. (It would be totally pointless..)

FOL 13 October 2011 13:08

I thought tripple buffering only worked when you have V-Sync on?
I just remember reading something about it once, never ever enable v-sync, dont see point, :).

atchoo 13 October 2011 19:35

No, but triple buffering helps you if you have V-Sync on.
If you have a 60 Hz monitor and V-Sync on, you must have 60 fps at least. Without them (and without triple buffering), 54-55 fps for example, fps should crash to 30 fps (or less if you haven't 30 fps at least, etc. etc.).
If you activate triple buffering you can play at 54-55 fps.

Triple buffering helps you if you haven't V-Sync on, too.
Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794

Toni Wilen 13 October 2011 20:31

Yes, when playing "normal" games but it makes no sense with emulation because emulation requires exactly correct frame rate all the time (If you don't want any sound glitches)

Also triple buffering adds too much latency. Use new "low latency vsync" instead.

atchoo 13 October 2011 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 780843)
Yes, when playing "normal" games but it makes no sense with emulation

True.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toni Wilen (Post 780843)
Use new "low latency vsync" instead.

There's a problem: it's too smooth, I'm not used to it! :D

FOL 15 October 2011 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by atchoo (Post 780863)
There's a problem: it's too smooth, I'm not used to it! :D

lol, now that is funny.

Torkio 06 November 2011 17:35

Hello there, I found this thread interesting as there is something related to what I'm wondering to have "the perfect emulation" at least the best possible amiga feeling.
I'm using a LCD Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 225MV which works @ 60Hz.
I noticed that I had the perfect smoothness using the low latency VSync. the video was the most fluid experience I ever had with WinUAE.
The problem is that using this option, WinUAE runs at 60Hz while the game I'm using (Kick Off 2, just for the records) is a PAL game designed to work at 50 Hz, so basically the game is faster than the original one the emulation works at 120%.
You could (rightly) say to use the FPS adj to 50, the problem is that this option has the side effect to reduce the smoothness of the video emulation.
Is there any solution to have the emulation smooth without to buy a new monitor which support 50/100 Hz?
Thanks for your time

Retro-Nerd 06 November 2011 18:09

No, there isn't. You need indeed a monitor/TV which is capable to display 50Hz or 100Hz, if you want to play perfectly smooth PAL games.

atchoo 06 November 2011 18:24

Yup. I bought a 17" crt monitor expressly to emulate Amiga with WinUAE: 800x600 @100Hz and I am happy! :D

Torkio 06 November 2011 20:49

Thanks for your quick answer!
Well, the problem is that (at least it is what I know) Win XP don't manage LCD monitor to 50 Hz even if the monitor TV (LCD) can display it. So, the only way would be a LCD TV/Monitor @ 100 Hz. The problem is that those kind of TV start from a size of 32" which is to big for me, I've just a small desk. and the price is still high.
I live in a very small flat, a second 14" CRT monitor isn't a reasonable choice, at least for me.
I remember that one time there was a program named powerstrip which was able to force resolutions and refresh rate of CRT monitor.
I googled a lot but I didn't find any suggestion to force LCD monitor. Maybe some of you know something.
Hope you can help in this issue.
thanks

atchoo 06 November 2011 21:26

Well, there are 120 Hz LCD monitors. They should work @ 100 Hz too, but they are expensive.
Many so called 100 Hz LCD TVs don't work really @ 100 Hz, but they have some motion interpolation.
Powerstrip should work also with LCD monitor. It's less useful because LCD monitors generally manage less resolutions and frequencies than CRTs.

P.S. noto solo ora che anche tu sei italiano, casomai possiamo approfondire tramite messaggio privato, visto che fornire spiegazioni tecniche in inglese mi risulta un po' scomodo. :D

zipper 06 November 2011 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkio (Post 783871)
Thanks for your quick answer!
Well, the problem is that (at least it is what I know) Win XP don't manage LCD monitor to 50 Hz even if the monitor TV (LCD) can display it.

I think it's not Windows problem but your monitor software. I just made a 1680x1050 @45 Hz (!) custom screen with my NVidia Control panel as my monitor starts @44 Hz. Windows did show it without any problems.

Torkio 06 November 2011 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipper (Post 783891)
I think it's not Windows problem but your monitor software. I just made a 1680x1050 @45 Hz (!) custom screen with my NVidia Control panel as my monitor starts @44 Hz. Windows did show it without any problems.

Is you monitor CRT or LCD? I guess it is CRT?

@atchoo: good idea!

zipper 06 November 2011 22:48

No, BenQ 22" LCD 44-51, 59-61, 74-75 Hz.

Torkio 07 November 2011 11:18

oh! 45hz is a not so common use! interesting that your LCD monitor supports so many sync. reading my monitor user manual, it seems that it should support other refresh rate besides 60 Hz in fact it is written also 56 and 75 for some resolutions. I couldn't set it though. also in ATI control panel I can select just 60Hz no matter the resolution I set. :(

zipper 07 November 2011 15:18

So NVidia rules in this respect. Custom modes are freely adjustable.

Retro-Nerd 07 November 2011 17:52

You can set custom resolutions & refresh rates in ATI driver too. But it doesn't help if the monitor doesn't support real 50Hz.

atchoo 07 November 2011 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd (Post 784066)
it doesn't help if the monitor doesn't support real 50Hz.

Yep, black screen.

Torkio 07 November 2011 18:54

Finally I found the answer to this issue!
I didn't know that powerstrip could be helpful also on LCD monitor!
Using powerstrip and custom refresh frequencies I found the way!
Now my monitor is running at 50 Hz! to be precise 50,002 Hz
If I try 50,000 I got a black screen as Atchoo but using the up and down arrow, it is possible to find a very near frequency to 50 Hz.
No CRT monitor needed! and I can use powerstrip also to my laptop!:spin
Thanks for your help though!