English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   Amiga scene (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where Time Stood Still - Boxed Copy (rejected) (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90378)

Galahad/FLT 21 January 2018 16:28

Where Time Stood Still - Boxed Copy (rejected)

I've recently been contacted by a guy that has bought up the publishing rights to a lot of games, and if he is to be believed, that includes some Ocean titles.

I cannot confirm whether this guy is 100% legit or not, its easy to claim "Yeah I've bought the rights to it", especially in light of the fact The Speris Legacy is on the Dream17 site with "permission" from Team 17, when The Speris Legacy doesn't even belong to them, they simply published it (Binary Emotions own it).

But anyway, he asked me about doing a boxed version of Where Time Stood Still because he has the rights to the ST version as well.

I have refused.

The reason is simple. I didn't do Where Time Stood Still on my own, I had fantastic help from ADRDesign, Hoffman, Greyfox, Leathered (RIP), and they ALL gave up their valuable time for FREE.

Not that I expect a boxed copy of this game to sell particularly well in any case, but I will NOT profit off the efforts of those that helped me to get the game done.

So in the interests of fairness, and so that future projects are not affected by people thinking that they are being taken advantage of, I won't give permission for the Amiga version of Where Time Stood Still to become a boxed game for sale.

It's just not right.

Predseda 21 January 2018 16:31

Nice. So now back to boxed Starquake ;)

AmigaRob 21 January 2018 16:34

There is a growing market for collectors wanting boxed versions of games, particularly new/home brew conversions. I think if there are people willing to buy it then I would not judge you for doing it, as long it was proven legitimate and everybody that contributed (including the original coders of the original version) got their opportunity to take their fair slice.

At the end of the day, he could produce the box, manual and a blank labelled floppy and tell buyers to write the disk themselves. The normal run for these kind of projects seems to be no more than 500 units so we are not talking about a fortune to me made anyway.

malko 21 January 2018 19:53

It's not an easy decision... So Respect Galahad ! :great
Such an attitude is rare in the present day.

ross 21 January 2018 20:55

Wise and clear decision.

dlfrsilver 21 January 2018 22:14

Well ok, things are simple : Ocean has been bought by infogrames. The Ocean assets and all the things coming along with them are theirs.

I wonder who can be that guy ?

alexh 21 January 2018 23:16

Things such as the artwork which belonged to the late great Bob Wakelin which he's sure not to have licenced

DamienD 21 January 2018 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver (Post 1213611)
Well ok, things are simple : Ocean has been bought by infogrames. The Ocean assets and all the things coming along with them are theirs.

I wonder who can be that guy ?

Yes, well ok... hope you got permission to do your "L'Amazone Queen" translation (among others) from the original development houses then?

It's their assets and you are modifying... :shocked

@Sir Galahad; well done!!! Screw whoever it is that apparently bought the rights to 30 year old / niche software.

Even if true; they would then have all the games from the original systems / time of release date.

The fact that you and a couple of other dedicated "fans" had the skills necessary to port another system version over to a more complex one, add screens, sounds / music etc... :great

...and now they want to try and make money out of this; pffft :banghead

Predseda 21 January 2018 23:39

But ""L'Amazone Queen" is not going to be sold for money I think. Thats a difference.

Greyfox 21 January 2018 23:57

That's fair enough Phil..I think when scene releases like this materialise it's the pleasure of the work to put the smile on people's face when they boot up the finished article. I'm wondering when is the next project gonna be on the cards..I miss my name in lights thanks to your awesome skills ��

Hope all is well ..its been a while since I popped over here.

Galahad/FLT 22 January 2018 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 1213652)
That's fair enough Phil..I think when scene releases like this materialise it's the pleasure of the work to put the smile on people's face when they boot up the finished article. I'm wondering when is the next project gonna be on the cards..I miss my name in lights thanks to your awesome skills ��

Hope all is well ..its been a while since I popped over here.

Got other stuff in the pipeline that are sure to need your deft skills, so don't be a stranger.

Finally fixed a critical bug in Starquake, and its going for final testing at the South West Amiga meet in Swindon as there will be a load of different hardware there to test it on, and then its ready for release (barring any issues!), and I can move onto the next one :)

Galahad/FLT 22 January 2018 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh (Post 1213642)
Things such as the artwork which belonged to the late great Bob Wakelin which he's sure not to have licenced

I don't think thats necessarily true. I'm pretty sure that anything Ocean commissioned Bob to do, belongs to Ocean (Infogrammes).

Greyfox 22 January 2018 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT (Post 1213657)
Got other stuff in the pipeline that are sure to need your deft skills, so don't be a stranger.

No worries..find me on the local haunts when your ready to make history again :great