English Amiga Board

English Amiga Board (https://eab.abime.net/index.php)
-   support.Hardware (https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Which LCD monitor for Amiga (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21949)

jotd 14 February 2006 19:24

Which LCD monitor for Amiga

Hi folks,

I'm considering buying a LCD monitor for my amiga. I borrowed one to a friend, and it works all right, except for PAL modes. Since I've got a scandoubler (no LCD monitors ever accept 15KHz, but all accept 30KHz),

I expected the result, but at random I tested NTSC mode and it worked!

Then I noticed that most of LCD monitors don't accept 50Hz, but minimum 55Hz. LaCie have some 50Hz compliant monitors, but they are very expensive.

NTSC mode is 60Hz that's why it works, whereas PAL doesn't...

So my question is: is there a LCD monitor that accepts 50Hz at a reasonable price.

thanks for the answer

alexh 14 February 2006 20:28

What size you want?

jotd 14 February 2006 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexh
What size you want?

15, 17 or 19. Any size, provided that PAL works.

I saw that an amiga site proposes LG monitors. But the specs state 56Hz minimum on the LG page

alexh 14 February 2006 20:36

15" LCD TV with XGA (1024x768) native resolution, built in PAL tuner and RGB Scandoubler. £169 from Asda at the moment.

Perhaps sell your Scandoubler and buy a GFX card? :)

http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=29101&forum=8

http://www.amiga.org/modules/myalbum/photos/2476.jpg

alexh 14 February 2006 20:38

D'oh you're in france.... Perhaps you can trace the model number? DLCD1501

jotd 14 February 2006 23:12

Quote:

15" LCD TV with XGA (1024x768) native resolution, built in PAL tuner and RGB Scandoubler. £169 from Asda at the moment.

Thanks for the information. I was not able to locate this screen, but with a search I saw this was a NEC, and NEC is famous for their multisync displays (I think there's a NEC 17"" CRT which accepts 15KHz).
So I checked NEC available monitors and finally found one which accepts 50Khz: the LCD1980Fxi (520 euros on sale).
I just ordered it, but I'm still unsure it works. If anyone is interested by the results, just ask.

And about the GFX card: I've got one, but of course it's not working for PAL games...

Jope 20 February 2006 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotd
Thanks for the information. I was not able to locate this screen, but with a search I saw this was a NEC, and NEC is famous for their multisync displays (I think there's a NEC 17"" CRT which accepts 15KHz).

Those 15kHz CRTs are very far in between, always have been.
Quote:

So I checked NEC available monitors and finally found one which accepts 50Khz: the LCD1980Fxi (520 euros on sale).
I just ordered it, but I'm still unsure it works. If anyone is interested by the results, just ask.
From the datasheet:
Horizontal Frequency [kHz] 31.5 - 81.1
Vertical Frequency [Hz] 50.0 - 85.0

manicx 20 February 2006 09:51

Here's one I found:

Sony Sony SDM-S75A 17".

Will work fine with a scandoubler.

Methanoid 20 February 2006 14:03

Quote:

http://www.amiga.org/modules/myalbum/photos/2476.jpg

Alex why do you keep saying this has a scandoubler... it does NOT really.. and we've had this discussion before... its a TV but it doesnt (AFAIK) scandouble via the VGA socket....

DanE 17 September 2006 15:09

Will this tv work with my a1200?, I dont have a scandoubler and need to improve my amiga's picture.

Im running os 3.9 and it looks shit compared to my pc resolution, im currently on Pal high res 640 x 512, if i use laced the screen looks squashed up and flickers and if i use super high res the screen is really squashed up.

could i use an Amiga RGB to SVGA Monitor Adapter from amigakit to plug my amiga into my pc lcd screen and would it improve the picture quality

Thanks

alexh 17 September 2006 15:46

Quote:

Alex why do you keep saying this has a scandoubler...
Erm, because it has.
Quote:

it does NOT really..
Yes it does. If you want to get technical it has a scandoubler and a flicker fixer.
Quote:

and we've had this discussion before... its a TV but it doesnt (AFAIK) scandouble via the VGA socket....
You DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT :) This monitor has a scandoubler connected to the RGB capable SCART socket.

So it doesnt scandouble via the VGA socket, big deal, they never expected anyone to connect a 15kHz signal to this connector.

Use a regular Amiga to RGB SCART adapter, plugged into the SCART socket, for excellent results in (all?) native Amiga modes.

Also connect native Amiga output to the SCART socket and RTG graphics to the VGA socket and you also have a built in monitor switcher.

Sune Salminen 17 September 2006 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methanoid
Alex why do you keep saying this has a scandoubler... it does NOT really.. and we've had this discussion before... its a TV but it doesnt (AFAIK) scandouble via the VGA socket....

He's not using the VGA input with his Amiga, he's using the RGB inputs on the SCART socket.

It helps if you think of it as a 31KHz SVGA PC monitor with a built in TV receiver.

The way I see it, it has to have a built-in scan doubler, otherwise how could it accept 15KHz signals?

alewis 17 September 2006 20:44

Guys, this is getting heated, without reason.

Look, those of with LCD TV/monitors, post *how* they are connecting an Amiga... I'll be finished moving by next week, and will try Technomaticy-something-or-other LCD TV that I have (which has VGA, SVHS and SCART), and when I get my FP2001s back will attach an Amiga via composite and SVHS and post results.

@Alexh - are you "motorollin" on .org? similar post on there regarding the Asda "dual" brand, with identical screen shot.

alexh 17 September 2006 21:29

I am alexh on Amiga.org but this is motorollin's photo.

Using an RGB SCART cable (if you have one) will yeild the best results BTW.

How are you going to get S-Video (SVHS is a type of VCR!) from your Amiga? ;)

alewis 17 September 2006 23:47

Ah. I see.

Amiga video -> SCART -> S-video. Might not be brilliant, but might as well see what it is like.

Jope 18 September 2006 07:13

Only the CD32 has an S-Video output as native.

The A1200 and A600 can be modified to have one and for the rest, you must plug in a modified A520 modulator..

alexh 18 September 2006 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by alewis
Amiga video -> SCART -> S-video. Might not be brilliant, but might as well see what it is like.

Your reply indicates that you think there is some sort of "conversion" taking place.

SCART nothing more than a connector. This connector supports several different standards. RGB, Composite, S-video.

The A1200 can natively output two of them; RGB (23-pin video connector) and Composite (Yellow phono socket).

As Jope (and I) said the A1200 cannot output S-Video without being modified, or first going through an (expensive?) converter.

hexaae 18 September 2006 13:18

Need to know some things about LCD monitor for Amiga:
that monitor can display only PAL\NTSC Amiga resolutions (isn't clear if it also deintarlaces HiResPAL 640x512 laced)? Or can also display Multiscan\DblScan AGA resolutions using the same output port?

I'd like to find a final solution to use my A1200 with WB's resolution set in Multiscan, and also play games etc. in PAL\NTSC (laced?).

alexh 18 September 2006 23:45

Quote:

that monitor can display only PAL\NTSC Amiga resolutions (isn't clear if it also deintarlaces HiResPAL 640x512 laced)?
No. It CAN do all resolutions that work on a regular television including HiResPAL 640x512 laced and yes it can de-interlace (hence why I said it had a flicker fixer).

Quote:

Or can also display Multiscan\DblScan AGA resolutions using the same output port?
It do not think that it would be able to display dblPAL/NTSC AGA via the SCART (but I could be wrong). But it can via a separate DSUB (VGA) connector. You could easily make your own cable with SCART and VGA connectors and switch inputs using the menu on the LCDTV.

hexaae 19 September 2006 09:27

Quote:

I do not think that it would be able to display dblPAL/NTSC AGA via the SCART (but I could be wrong). But it can via a separate DSUB (VGA) connector. You could easily make your own cable with SCART and VGA connectors and switch inputs using the menu on the LCDTV.
Pleae, can you test the NTSC and Multiscan res? :)
Well, NTSC is better for some WHD (made in USA) games (e.g. IK+, Eye Of The Beholder etc.) to have full screen, and not squashed, gfx.
You're right about Multiscan: there's no need if the monitor can display PAL double-scanned. Anyway I've read PAL pixels are not square like those of dblscanned modes (multiple of 640x480 res) so video is distorted.